Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New project...

Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 103 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    I think I have figured it out.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodeck
    Why do I feel there is a Holodeck somewhere on an island in the pacific.
    Maybe the island is a hologram. :)
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

So Jim must have fallen into the time-travel vortex and hasn't made it back yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Luker View Post
    So Jim must have fallen into the time-travel vortex and hasn't made it back yet...
    Nah, he's just mastered the art of setting that hook. Look at how we're all biting. Whatever the update is it seems so many folks are sold on it before they even know what it is.
    S E A W I L D E A R T H

"It's all Mother Nature's fault, she radicalised me at an early age"

"Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed... We simply need that Wild country available to us, even if we do nothing more than drive to its edge, and peer in" -
    Wallace Stegner.

whoa. am I on reduser?
    EPIC #5593 "MAIA"
    REDucated feb 2012

Perhaps the new device involved a 3.5mm headphone jack? Ha ha.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I want to toss my 2 in here. Forgive me if this has already been addressed. I didn't feel like reading 78 pages before righting this.
    This is my hope.............................................

These beloved cameras of ours are getting more and more powerful, what with 8K in two flavors now. The main problem we have is a way to efficiently handle all that data and do it affordably.
    There are four things I am praying to God that Jim or someone is developing.

1. A TRULY PROFESSIONAL OPERATING SYSTEM

An OS that's a simple to use as a Mac and just as elegant. No frills. No animated folders. No cutesy teeny-bopper flair. Just the basics: Email, Web Browser, Robust security, maybe a chat app and ways to automate tasks. A stripped down, non-consumer, professional OS dedicated to running only the software we need.

2. A PROFESSIONAL VIDEO EDITOR

I know there are many flavors so I'm not turning this into a war of who's better, Premiere or FCPX or Avid or the one in RC-X. Again, a no frills editor that is clean, elegant, intuitive (at least for those of us that edit). When you open it its UI is clean and simple but you can make it as complicated as you want. As a bonus it would be awesome if it could run FCPX, Premiere and Avid plugins.

3. BLAZING FAST, AFFORDABLE STORAGE

If we had these first two items we would still be in a terrible bottleneck situation with the large amounts of data we use with our REDs. Although storage devices have become faster it seems to me that the technology really hasn't changed in 20 or 30 years. Or at least it hasn't really changed in a way that's accessible or affordable to the average user. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly have not done extensive research on this topic.

4. CUTTING-EDGE PROCESSOR

RED has developed a way to capture 8K Full-Frame VV images at up to 60 fps. My God do you realize how much processing has to happen just for a single frame? Multiply that by 60X/sec. Someone help me with the specifics on this but how is it we can ingest that amount of data but getting it out and using it is much more difficult? There has to be a better way but I'm not smart enough or wealthy enough to make it happen. Surely someone can develop a processor that can handle all of this efficiently.

RED made it's mark by disrupting the film industry and look where we are today. I think it would be awesome if they disrupted the computer industry too.
    There simply has to be a better way.

I like 1. I think it is time for a new OS, to run on powerful machines. Unless apple decides to go back in time and become again the simple user friendly company it used to be...

If Jim hadn't said VR/AR was dead in the water, I would have thought it was THIS.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    If Jim hadn't said VR/AR was dead in the water, I would have thought it was THIS.
    Jim's a great business brain for sure, but his opinion is just that, an opinion. I think personally there will remain huge potential in the VR world for many years to come. More specifically when one looks at the ways it could be implemented merely from an educational standpoint.
    S E A W I L D E A R T H

"It's all Mother Nature's fault, she radicalised me at an early age"

"Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed... We simply need that Wild country available to us, even if we do nothing more than drive to its edge, and peer in" -
    Wallace Stegner.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    This is what I was thinking, especially since Ted Shilowitz is in charge of VR at 20th century. There was a post a few years ago where Jim said they were working on lightfields, and that is a big component of magic leap. It's a perfect fit -- the optics, the wearable glasses, the extreme image processing -- all things that Jim has experience with. Maybe he thinks Magic Leap is something different than standard AR/VR, or like you said, this has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    The future will be quite a bit different than what we know as "now". Everyone will need to adjust. That is what professionals do.

In the end... it is all about the image. Sorry to be so cryptic. In this day and age, that is the best I can do. But I am more excited than ever for what is about to unfold.

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    One thing I will say is that we are working on multiple focus and depth map (think Lytros) but with wicked high resolution... The prototype is incredible. Don't tell Gizmodo or Engadget. :-)

Jim