Thread: Creating a catalog of stock footage for in house use?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Creating a catalog of stock footage for in house use? 
    I work for a start up company and over the past few months we have been shooting a ton of footage and also B roll for our projects. We have been growing and now have 2 shooters and 2 editors plus assistants and are looking for the best way to organize our footage so that it's easy for the editors to look through and find B roll clips for our segments. We are shooting on the Sony FS7 and FS5 which are shooting .MXF files (I know not red cameras sorry guys). We thought of using Lightroom as a catalog as we would be able to add search able keywords to the files but lightroom doesn't seem to accept .MXF Files. We also are wanting to have all the files on a dedicated computer that would be searchable from anyones computer through an ethernet connection. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about this and how do you keep all your footage organized?

Lightroom is way too slow for video in general. You are not going to be able to use a catalog for clips with it.
    I would look into DAM solutions. I have heard of this one, but I never actually test/try it. https://libris.photoshelter.com

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    For a simple visual pdf / html creation tool you can my app foolcat...
    A LOT of people are relying on it now to document their shooting and quickly find a shot using thumbnails.
    It should work with most mxf files... Demo version available to try it out from my website linked below (mac only)
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Hi,

I use light room to catalog my prores footage and works well. I think you should go with CatDv.

We use CatDv at work , Catdv reads a lot of video formats.

http://www.squarebox.com/catdv-desktop-client/

THanks for the responses. I made some suggestions but for now its out of my control as I let the higher ups make the call. Will update you guys once I figure out what we go with but it might be a bit. For now we are playing around with the comment feature on macs to add keywords to the files (though the comments are removed when transfered to a new mac by usb or air drop)

6. #6 Double Work 
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Burke View Post
    THanks for the responses. I made some suggestions but for now its out of my control as I let the higher ups make the call. Will update you guys once I figure out what we go with but it might be a bit. For now we are playing around with the comment feature on macs to add keywords to the files (though the comments are removed when transfered to a new mac by usb or air drop)
    In your situation of haveling a unspecified solution for now, how about using an Excel spreadsheet as a make shift database? Structure the sheet tailored your needs, even hyperlink to file or folder. It would be alot more structured and searchable

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    For a simple visual pdf / html creation tool you can my app foolcat...
    A LOT of people are relying on it now to document their shooting and quickly find a shot using thumbnails.
    It should work with most mxf files... Demo version available to try it out from my website linked below (mac only)

I mentioned that on his other post.

Mikael is it possible to hyper link to a proxie?

My workflow has all R3Ds going through REDCINE export to Proxy files.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >