Thread: DJI Ronin-MX

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Uros Zuraj View Post
    shashbugu - one thing DJI is good about is afordable price as they produce in masses in their own country. probably 99% of other boards and stuff have to come from china to US, pay a higher paid employs and then put together into a product that is more expensive. DJI doesnt care so much about customer service as westeren companies,... but people are willing to take the risk.
    for the work i do its easier to buy 3 ronins and when one brakes down just use another one for a month or two while i try to solve the problem with DJI, with Movi i can only afford one,...
    same probably goes with RED vs chinese company.
    the only major and really important thing is that they are lacking behind in knowledge how to make all the components work together perfectly (software) and on field experience. in a lot of prducts from DJI and similar companies you can see they have never seen a real film or commercial set from up close and dont know why its important where a power plug is or stuff like that :D
    I know right, price wise nobody can compete. In all fairness DJI's products have evolved very well. There's also a very large DJI userbase and internet community to act as support.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    LOL Uros... ;o)

Indeed the R-MX is designed for the pro cine cameras like RED's DSMC & DSMC2 lineup and ARRI Alexa Mini, that require separate power source. This solution works rather well (powering the R-MX from its own smaller M-type battery and powering the camera from the larger "normal" Ronin type battery). I am actually planing to test how long will the RED run with the smaller M-type battery - which will reduce the weight even further. This might be especially relative to the Raven...

The horizon drift is a thing of the past - for as long as you have the R-MX on the M600. The gimbals on their own are never designed to handle lateral G-forces. They need the data feed from a dedicated controller built for G-forces - like the A3. Note that the cost of the A3 is half of the R-MX all by itself. My guess is that they might in the future release a dedicated version of the Ronin for high-speed operations (shooting from variety of vehicles) where G-forces are the norm and it will have something like the A3 built in. One can wish... ;o)

P
    Can't wait to see that, as I'm going to buy a Gimbal for my Raven. I would be nice to see how you rig the system up, especially battery wise.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Now I can finally share that we have been testing both the M600 (with the new A3 controller) and the Ronin-MX since March. The M600 flies great and it is super smooth and stable. The Ronin MX really takes things to another level with the direct integration with he M600 - this eliminates the horizon drifts induced by the lateral G-forces in turns. For now we have been testing it with the Scarlet-X, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and the 50-100 f/1.8 and the DJI Focus. Can't wait for our Raven and more tests with Weapon and CF Epic. We will report back soon along with footage to share...

Peter
    Nice Peter! Maybe we can use this to film the aftermath of Sakurajima later this year!
    IMAX Director|DP|Producer
    FORGED Monstro VV |Trooper 8K | CF Dragon
    http://digitalcrossing.ca

What about load weight tho?

The original Ronin could take 16lbs (7.25kg).
    This new Ronin-MX can only take 10lbs (4.5kg).

I can't remember what my Epic load was for gimbal use but it must be near that Ronin-MX limit of 10lbs / 4.5kg.
    - Red Epic Dragon 2260g
    - SSD Card 95.25g
    - Schneider Xenon Prime 1100g
    - RT Motion Motor 212g
    - RT Motion Receiver 118g
    - Paralinx Arrow with shield and all cables 176g
    - BT Atom Mattebox 98g without shade

So if we use the new battery system that is on the gimbal it would be aprox:
    Total: 4059.25g / 8.94lbs

This is of course minus any filters, cables for RT Motion, Ronin plate and 15mm rods, top plate (if you use one)

Anyway, it is getting close to its maximum load of 10lbs.

What do you guys think about this weight difference?

Also the mounting to the top handle or other 3rd party accessories such as the ones made by cinemilled, is it the same mini dovetail mounting type?
    Phil J W Moreton - Cinematographer - London

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W
    Arri Alura 18-80mm, Xenon FFs, Leica R PL, RT Motion +++

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moreton View Post
    What about load weight tho?

The original Ronin could take 16lbs (7.25kg).
    This new Ronin-MX can only take 10lbs (4.5kg).

I can't remember what my Epic load was for gimbal use but it must be near that Ronin-MX limit of 10lbs / 4.5kg.
    - Red Epic Dragon 2260g
    - SSD Card 95.25g
    - Schneider Xenon Prime 1100g
    - RT Motion Motor 212g
    - RT Motion Receiver 118g
    - Paralinx Arrow with shield and all cables 176g
    - BT Atom Mattebox 98g without shade

So if we use the new battery system that is on the gimbal it would be aprox:
    Total: 4059.25g / 8.94lbs

This is of course minus any filters, cables for RT Motion, Ronin plate and 15mm rods, top plate (if you use one)

Anyway, it is getting close to its maximum load of 10lbs.

What do you guys think about this weight difference?

Also the mounting to the top handle or other 3rd party accessories such as the ones made by cinemilled, is it the same mini dovetail mounting type?

Phil this is what happens:
    - you use their DJI Focus - i know its not better then RT (i love RT) so you loose a bit of cables and receiver
    - use MotionMount so no mattebox needed in 90% of the times (only for special filters)
    - paralinx or other video transmiton components can be moved to the handle,...

and then you are super safe :) but this is the way working with gimbals go... you have to go light if you want to work a lot and be mobile... there is still the original Ronin or Movi M15 when you need heavy setup. but for small setups you go small and i think MX will handle that. and remember most people sill uses small lenses like rokinor, canon EOS or leica,...
    its a gimbal for medium category. it fits perfect into what i do - extreme sports and a lot of airplanes where every kilo is important

Phil this is what happens:
    - you use their DJI Focus - i know its not better then RT (i love RT) so you loose a bit of cables and receiver
    - use MotionMount so no mattebox needed in 90% of the times (only for special filters)
    - paralinx or other video transmiton components can be moved to the handle,...

and then you are super safe :) but this is the way working with gimbals go... you have to go light if you want to work a lot and be mobile... there is still the original Ronin or Movi M15 when you need heavy setup. but for small setups you go small and i think MX will handle that. and remember most people sill uses small lenses like rokinor, canon EOS or leica,...
    its a gimbal for medium category. it fits perfect into what i do - extreme sports and a lot of airplanes where every kilo is important
    I think I'll wait till the DJI Ronin-MXL comes out then ;-)

What support vests are people using these days for our gimbals? So much to choose from. I'm quite disappointed with my EasyRig, Flowcine Serene arm setup so thinking of getting rid of it and getting something else.
    Options? Ready Rig GS or Exoskeleton?

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W

If i work i try to work without. Steady cam is still the way to go for longer shots. but it doesnt work when you hang out of a car,...
    But if you dont like Easyrig and serene... i only read good things about ActionProducts exoskeleton. The french one kinda went quiet, not a lot of videos online or reviews,...

If i work i try to work without. Steady cam is still the way to go for longer shots. but it doesnt work when you hang out of a car,...
    But if you dont like Easyrig and serene... i only read good things about ActionProducts exoskeleton. The french one kinda went quiet, not a lot of videos online or reviews,...
    Those exoskeleton's are quite pricey tho.
    The ready rig gs could be a good option. Looks like it gives you the same control as if you were hand holding without any rig. Something that I greatly miss when I use my Easy Rig with Flowcine Serene option.

Ready Rig GS

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W

What I can't figure out is what's included in the box and what I'd need to add to have a good working package with my Dragon. Any word on that? The pictures clearly show rear battery plate and battery, but I thought I read somewhere today that they aren't including that rear plate or battery, which would mean their photos are wrong.
    "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible." -MC Escher

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Nelson View Post
    What I can't figure out is what's included in the box and what I'd need to add to have a good working package with my Dragon. Any word on that? The pictures clearly show rear battery plate and battery, but I thought I read somewhere today that they aren't including that rear plate or battery, which would mean their photos are wrong.
    No, they are not including the rear plate or the battery. Its stated in the faq section. I'd say the following will be a working package:
    3 x (or 2)Ronin - Intelligent Battery (4350mAh) to power your camera
    2 x (or 1) Ronin - 57W Battery Chargers for charging the batteries above, the charger that ships with Ronin can only charge the battery that powers the Ronin
    2 (or 1) x Ronin - Red power cable
    Ronin battery power distributor

So, depending on how frequent your gimbal use is will determine the final number of these extra accessories you need. I once read somewhere the 4350mah battery powers Dragon for about 60mins and takes about 90mins for full charge, so I say you budget for 3 of those. All these should run you north of $800 or more