Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Obsolescence...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Obsolescence... 
    I think we have done a pretty great job upholding to Jim's original Obsolescence Obsolete mantra by moving our customers along both our evolutionary and revolutionary updates via our incredible upgrade program.

The DSMC2 camera brain really lets us extend this to a whole new level. Moving the connectors off of the main brain allows us to continuously grow with technology as they present themselves. It also allows us and 3rd parties to really extend our cameras by accommodating complete customization never before offered in this industry. XLR, Mini Jack, Min XLR, Line level, Mic Level, no audio, 1 sdi, 2 sdi, 6 sdi, HDMi no HDMI, PL mount Canon Mount, XPL, etc. etc. etc. Doesn't matter which flavor of connectors you prefer or which wireless devices you desire there is an opportunity if we don't make it, one of our great 3rd parties partners can.

I am not sure if this actually matters to any of you, but I am comfortable making a commitment right now that the DSMC2 form factor will stay the same until at least 2020.

This should give our customers some reassurance that they have some longevity in their purchases and also relieves some anxiety from our 3rd parties investing in manufacturing new bits for our cameras. There is of course some incredible new sensors and will be incredible new ASICS and internal boards that will greatly expand your cameras along the way, and of course our customers will be able to upgrade to those as they materialize through our upgrade program. But all of you can feel good about getting used to what your Raven/Scarlet-w/Weapon looks like in front of you.

There will be exceptions.. we will have some special cameras for special applications and we will continue to make some unique cameras for special customers like we always have.

At any rate, This is one of those internal discussions that probably should of stayed internal but It seems like it just might make for a good discussion.

Thank you all.

This is great to hear. Thanks Jarred.
    Really excited to get my first RED and shoot the shit out of it for many years.
    Last edited by Tony Ditata; 04-16-2016 at 10:59 PM.

After a few Weapon shoots I've had time to reflect on just how far DSMC2 evolved from DSMC. It's utterly impressive when you look at the whole entire picture. You've built a core building block that RED and 3rd parties can build upon to carve out unique configurations that can fit everybody's needs. With the shear amount of cameras announced at all of these price points within the DSMC2 lineup, some of which eat other top brands for breakfast and some that are alarming disruptive to much more expensive options, I have a good feeling about all of this.

Weapon, as far as I'm concerned, is currently the best camera on the market.

Viva la DSMC2. It's truly DSMC evolved.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This is great Jarred! One of the things I pondered and that kept me on the fence for a bit wrt upgrading to Weapon was giving up on the DMSC1 form factor, as I had a really well tuned setup that wasn't going to carry over. In the end the advantages outweighed the time and money invested in Dragon accessories, and the accessory credit was an incredible deal that just solved that problem for me (thanks!), but mostly I'm very pleased with the better image quality I'm seeing from Weapon. It's great to know that our investments in modules, rigging, plates, etc. will be useful for such an extended time. It makes purchasing several variants for specific builds (Gimbal, Full Cinema, Run and Gun) a lot easier to make when you know you won't have replace it all next year.
    Last edited by Stephen Lovett; 04-16-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo
    Uroboros Films Turning Vision Into Reality www.uroborosfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    I think we have done a pretty great job upholding to Jim's original Obsolescence Obsolete mantra by moving our customers along both our evolutionary and revolutionary updates via our incredible upgrade program.

The DSMC2 camera brain really lets us extend this to a whole new level. Moving the connectors off of the main brain allows us to continuously grow with technology as they present themselves. It also allows us and 3rd parties to really extend our cameras by accommodating complete customization never before offered in this industry. XLR, Mini Jack, Min XLR, Line level, Mic Level, no audio, 1 sdi, 2 sdi, 6 sdi, HDMi no HDMI, PL mount Canon Mount, XPL, etc. etc. etc. Doesn't matter which flavor of connectors you prefer or which wireless devices you desire there is an opportunity if we don't make it, one of our great 3rd parties partners can.

I am not sure if this actually matters to any of you, but I am comfortable making a commitment right now that the DSMC2 form factor will stay the same until at least 2020.

This should give our customers some reassurance that they have some longevity in their purchases and also relieves some anxiety from our 3rd parties investing in manufacturing new bits for our cameras. There is of course some incredible new sensors and will be incredible new ASICS and internal boards that will greatly expand your cameras along the way, and of course our customers will be able to upgrade to those as they materialize through our upgrade program. But all of you can feel good about getting used to what your Raven/Scarlet-w/Weapon looks like in front of you.

There will be exceptions.. we will have some special cameras for special applications and we will continue to make some unique cameras for special customers like we always have.

At any rate, This is one of those internal discussions that probably should of stayed internal but It seems like it just might make for a good discussion.

Thank you all.
    That's only 4 years.... Epic was introduced in 2011 and replaced in 2015. Also 4 years.

Senior Member Cid J Salcido Uyarra's Avatar
    Hint Hint Wink Wink

You've gotten so good about not spilling the beans Jarred I love it.

Some great hint's.

Thanks for the re assurance on the modular design. Not many companies are transparent and honest as Red.

Fanboy for life.

Thanks Jarred this is all great info =)
    IMDB
    IATSE Local 600
    Digital Imaging Technician

+1 on DSMC

And i like this "we will have some special cameras for special applications" :-).

*Sorry Jarred had to share.
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Milano Questa View Post
    That's only 4 years.... Epic was introduced in 2011 and replaced in 2015. Also 4 years.
    2009 announced:
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....1-October-30th

2010 shipped:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/18/f...ly-toyed-with/

Though close to the end of the year.

DSMC2 announced and shipped 2015 through 2016. Jarred is saying you have 4 or 5 years from now depending on what you jumped in on.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thank you for all your hard work Jarred, I have no idea how you manage to keep so many different types of filmmakers on so many different levels happy and proud to own your product... that is not an easy task. I've waited long enough, I will be upgrading to Weapon soon.

This kind of info is nice to have when working with execs to sign off on gear proposals :-)
    Reuben Evans
    Filmmaker
    Executive Producer Faithlife TV/Faithlife Films
    http://FaithlifeTV.com

8K Weapon S35
    RED RAVEN
    4 Scarlet MX
    RED Rocket-X
    FCPX
    DaVinci Resolve
    Leica R Primes