Thread: Anyone see the new Canon 18-80 announced today?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Did Canon just drop the perfect run and gun/doc lens for the Scarlet-W? 
    Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, so apologies in advance if I'm out of line posting this here - but for those of you who are looking to shoot a fair bit of run and gun, shoulder mount work (sports, doc work etc) with you Scarlet-W, this might interest you.

Canon have just announced the CN-E 18-80 t4.4 IS servo s35 zoom at a crazy $5225 US dollars (B&H link - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...act_servo.html).

Specs below lifted from thecinelens.com

Focal Length 18-80mm
    Zoom Ratio 4.4x
    Lens Mount Canon EF
    Coverage APS-C / Super 35
    Image Circle 31.4mm
    Max Aperture T4.4 (f/4)
    Min. Focus 1.7′ / 0.5m
    Front Dia. 84mm (what?!)
    Filter Dia. 77mm
    Dimensions 93.4 x 107.2 x 182.3mm

Weight 2.6lbs. (w/o servo)

Servo zoom, image stabilisation, 77mm filter thread, and weighing in at 2.6lbs. The image circle may cover larger resolutions on the Weapon also.

I know a lot of people will complain about the T stop, I get it, but it's a run and gun lens from the ground up and drastically out prices the fujinon 20-120 3.5 announced just the other day which I know alot of Scarlet-W shooters were excited about.

There's a nice write up on newsshooter.com - http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/04/1...he-rest-of-us/

Edit: Interview video with a dude from Canon confirming it's Parfocal also - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...o-lens-article

Cant wait to see some footage.
    Last edited by Phil Scanlan; 04-13-2016 at 04:10 PM.

I saw that on B&H earlier. I never realised it was $5k?? I can see this being used in shoulder rigs for a run and gun shoot. Like they said in B&H. It still a Canon Cine lens, but with the functions of the L series lenses (The AF and the IS)
    RED Raven #001641
    AVStarFilms

Run-n-gun and doc don't rhyme with T4.4 in my mind at all. You need at least T2.8 for a real run-n-gun all-rounder.
    "Production value!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
    Run-n-gun and doc don't rhyme with T4.4 in my mind at all. You need at least T2.8 for a real run-n-gun all-rounder.
    Yes it may be a T4.4, but for $5k?? It it were 2.8 you'll be looking at $10k+. It is a good cheaper alternative to Canon's other servo lenses
    RED Raven #001641
    AVStarFilms

5. #5 Anyone see the new Canon 18-80 announced today? 
    Looks like a nice match for the Raven. https://youtu.be/34UYrqNWKpM

It is perfect for run and gun shots. I like the fact that it is still a Canon Cine lens, but has characteristics that the L series lenses have (AF and IS). It is relatively inexpensive (In servo cine lens terms) at just over $5k. This will be a very good lens for documentaries or run and gun shoots
    RED Raven #001641
    AVStarFilms

pretty cheap, but T4.4.
    if i was shooting a doc, outside, could be nice.
    Last edited by jordan levy; 04-13-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Yeah I hear you Demetri, t2.8 would be ideal - but it comes at a cost. Fujinon's closest offering in this pricerange is the 20-120 3.5 at 15k, or a secondand 18-80 at around the same price (and it's heavy in comparison). If I wanted just one lens, I'd be going all in on a 2.8 zoom for sure, but I have a full range of fast primes and fast L zooms to fill that void if needed, and it all comes down to the type of work you do really. A lot of my work is unscripted doc style, motorsport, talking heads, unpredictable moving subjects etc - so t4.4 doesn't bother me too too much. This lens means I could do most jobs with 3 lenses instead of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Scanlan View Post
    Yeah I hear you Demetri, t2.8 would be ideal - but it comes at a cost. Fujinon's closest offering in this pricerange is the 20-120 3.5 at 15k, or a secondand 18-80 at around the same price (and it's heavy in comparison). If I wanted just one lens, I'd be going all in on a 2.8 zoom for sure, but I have a full range of fast primes and fast L zooms to fill that void if needed, and it all comes down to the type of work you do really. A lot of my work is unscripted doc style, motorsport, talking heads, unpredictable moving subjects etc - so t4.4 doesn't bother me too too much. This lens means I could do most jobs with 3 lenses instead of 5.
    I was a bit too harsh. To keep the lens small and light and stabilized- it would be hard to go much faster especially with the price tag. Not bad at all....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    pretty cheap, but f4.4.
    if i was shooting a doc, outside, could be nice.
    I understand that T4.4 is not idea but for the $5k price point, it isn't that bad. If you were to get T2.8 or T1.2 etc then you'll be looking in adding another 10k. Its good for the price point
    RED Raven #001641
    AVStarFilms