Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Frame.io Premier Pro integration lands today

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This is awesome, I started testing this yesterday. Since I use exr dwab as my primary di file format, it was a hassle getting my 8k plates to frame.io , now with premieres integration of the new exr formats I can really get a much better workflow. Also with the coming tangent panel&color integration, I think I'll finally have a clean review process for heavy vfx related editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Aguirre View Post
    Dope, i'm gonna need the number of whoever designed that editing room. I think that room alone would boost my productivity 10 fold
    Call me anytime :)
    Emery Wells @emerywells
    Co-Founder/CEO - Frame.io @Frame_io
    Frame.io

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J.F. View Post
    Frame.io seriously kicks ass. Using it for everything from here on out!
    So glad you guys are digging it! We put a ton of care and craft into the tools we build and after working in post for 10 years it's an amazing experience to build awesome software for my peers.
    Emery Wells @emerywells
    Frame.io

Used it on my last project and absolutely loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Emery Wells View Post
    So glad you guys are digging it! We put a ton of care and craft into the tools we build and after working in post for 10 years it's an amazing experience to build awesome software for my peers.
    Man this is working really slick, I was expecting to be fighting with premiere but it worked perfectly right off the bat. I especially like the auto versioning from the premiere timeline to the frame.io web page. Also auto proxying to the appropriate web viewing is perfect, since I'm working in 4k I don't want to lag reviewers out. You guys have really thought this through, huge progress and this update is a big step in now allowing me to use frame.io as part of my main production process !

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    This whole thing just made me sad... I have been editing more and more in Premiere and less and less in Avid. I haven't heard from my old friend in a long while. I don't know how he's doing or if I should start talking to him again, but features like this just makes me sad, I will miss old pal Avid
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Ok, I'll be devils advocate. I like frame.io as an alternative to wiredrive for the client review process of editorial work.. almost jumped on board with them and we're still considering dumping wiredrive for frame.io but I'm not seeing a benefit (maybe cause there really isn't one?) to this integration unless we wanted to have cloud based media bins so our editors could work from home. We have enough trouble consistently maintaining smooth reliable performance out of premiere pro as it is with our media fibre attached, I honestly loathe the concept of plugging in something non-native into the mix. If we want to let an editor work remotely I'm more comfortable giving them a drive and a backup than hooking them up with remote access to media.

How does frame.io integration differ from adobe anywhere? From a technical level how is it better?

I also wonder when taking a step back from all the technical achievement - Is it really beneficial to allow clients to circle things and cross things out into the world of on screen markup? I see that as a very dangerous line to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wentz View Post
    Ok, I'll be devils advocate. I like frame.io as an alternative to wiredrive for the client review process of editorial work.. almost jumped on board with them and we're still considering dumping wiredrive for frame.io but I'm not seeing a benefit (maybe cause there really isn't one?) to this integration unless we wanted to have cloud based media bins so our editors could work from home. We have enough trouble consistently maintaining smooth reliable performance out of premiere pro as it is with our media fibre attached, I honestly loathe the concept of plugging in something non-native into the mix. If we want to let an editor work remotely I'm more comfortable giving them a drive and a backup than hooking them up with remote access to media.

How does frame.io integration differ from adobe anywhere? From a technical level how is it better?

I also wonder when taking a step back from all the technical achievement - Is it really beneficial to allow clients to circle things and cross things out into the world of on screen markup? I see that as a very dangerous line to cross.
    Hey Rob, I appreciate your input but I think you're missing the point a bit. We aren't a replacement for Adobe Anywhere. Adobe Anywhere is a very cool product for a certain class of user but it's really expensive and requires a bunch of hardware to setup. Frame.io is setup in less than than a minute and requires no hardware. Sending your editor home with a hard drive is fine. You should continue doing that. We don't replace the need to have all your source footage locally on a hard drive. But when you need to communicate during work in progress, or share several clips, that's where Frame.io comes in. We replace the need to use a bunch of different services to share media and communicate back and forth. How many email threads have you been involved in where someone says "At 00:05:04:02 we need to cut 10 frames earlier" or "At 00:10:12:11 we need to pain out that logo above the highway". Then you go look at that frame and have zero idea what they are talking about or the time code they are referencing is totally different from yours.

Being the co-founder of Frame.io im obviously pretty bias but I'd say give us a try. I've also been an editor for many years and I can objectively say this saves you hours a day.
    Emery Wells @emerywells
    Frame.io

I think the big thing with the integration is that it's just fewer steps for your editor. It's relatively minor, but if you need to upload some edits, dropping a few sequences into the Frame.io window is a lot faster than sending to the render queue, changing save directory, rendering, opening the browser, logging in to Frame.io, opening the project, and finally dragging video files into the browser.

I have used Frame.io but ended up downgrading to their free account. I don't edit full-time and it was hard to justify keeping it around with the 3 project/10gb limitations for $15/mo. When I used it, it was great, though!
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

Rob, We dropped wiredrive and switched to Frame.io last month and everyone including our clients like it so much better. Plus its cheaper. Also we got in on the Premiere beta and its only gotten better since the release. We run Mac and PC on 8Gb fibre. working with 5K and 6K red files. Also for your less Tech clients you can just send the video on a web page that they can just view OR you can have them as a collaborator. Its been great.

Frame.io is more of a proofing system not a remote ediitng system.
    Windsong | My Site

EPIC DRAGON, Canon Glass, G&E Cargo Van.