Thread: Custom RedTouch mount

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Custom RedTouch mount 
    The 5" RedTouch might now be a legacy product, but I still find it a useful size for my pre-Weapon needs. However, I have never been satisfied with the various mounting options out there. I have tried arms, NATO rail clamps, quick release locks and also just screwing it straight to my handle. And these might be completely acceptable for most users, but I thought another option had not been properly tested - mounting to a top-plate LWS clamp.

So, a little bit of AutoCAD later and this is the first prototype that arrived in the mail today.

It is machined from Aluminium 6061 and weighs 18g (0.6oz). It has two 1/4-20 threads for attaching to the RedTouch base and two 1/2-13 threads in the 15mm 'turrets' in case you wish to extend your LCD over a lens.

I contoured it to the RedTouch base and it attaches by two 3/8" long screws. Of course, my plan is to get the final version black anodized.

Since I already had a Wdn Cam clamp, I designed it to fit flush inside, but the depth can easily be modified in the design to cater for other setups.

I have another LWS clamp on the monitor mount hanging off the rear of my Helix gimbal, so to move my RedTouch from studio-mode to gimbal-mode with a quick and solid mounting option is of particular interest to me.

Thanks for your time. Criticisms, suggestions and feedback all welcome.

This is an interesting idea but seems a bit bulky. I too have never been satisfied with the monitor mount though. I would like to use a magic arm but am a bit gun shy. Last arm I had constantly came loose on set. I feel like magic arms should have two mounting points on each end. Otherwise they will always eventually go limp unless you reef them on.

The wooden camera nato clamp with two bolts on it is a nice option.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    The wooden camera nato clamp with two bolts on it is a nice option.
    I did use that for a while, but it meant I had to angle the RedTouch base to the horizontal. This pushed the LCD back over the camera eating into top-plate space and getting in the way of my handle. I looked all over for a NATO rail that was on its side (90deg) but couldn't find one that worked to my liking.