Thread: Round trip to resolve looks flat when brought into avid again

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Round trip to resolve looks flat when brought into avid again 
    Colors look fantastic in resolve but not all our transitions and titling wants to work in resolve, so we are round tripping grades back into avid. Not looking good at all color wise when back in avid, super flat. In resolve I'm full range and in avid it's ycrb709 dnxhd175x is our finishing codec. Is it a setting thing I'm doing wrong or is this a bug? Thanks, really appreciate the help! Sorry I'm new to resolve round trips so got through one but to land in another it seems?
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Make sure 'Enable Flat Pass' is not checked in the Resolve export settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Colors look fantastic in resolve but not all our transitions and titling wants to work in resolve, so we are round tripping grades back into avid.
    I would find a way to make that work in Resolve. It takes some work, but it can be done. At worst, prepare textless and texted versions of this material as DPX or DNxHD 444 files, and use those in the final.

I would not trust watching anything in Avid unless it's color-managed, viewed on a calibrated display, with external scopes to verify all the levels.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I would not trust watching anything in Avid unless it's color-managed, viewed on a calibrated display, with external scopes to verify all the levels.
    Funny you mentioned this cause after 20 years with Avid time to time I run into this odd color export issue.

Now for the longest time we blamed the QT Gamma issue but of late with RED files, it still should not be an issue right?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

I had an issue where exports from resolve were looking very flat and overexposed by about a full stop. There were two issues that needed solving:

1. Data Levels on export needs to be FULL (instead of VIDEO). Under the Export options, go to "Advanced" in order to find this setting. This was causing most of the Gamma and exposure issues.

2. Uncheck the "Use Mac Display Color Profile for Viewers" under the Project Settings, navigate to the color management tab to find this check box.

3. (may not be necessary, but this was causing me problems also): I had previously been setting my "Timeline Color Space" in project settings to match my RED Color Space & Gamma, but after changing it to match the other profiles (Rec709) in addition to the above tweaks, I've been golden.

Hope this helps.