Thread: OSEE 15.6" LUT Installation Help.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OSEE 15.6" LUT Installation Help. 
    So I've had my OSEE since mid Summer. Great little monitor. Small, requires little power, reasonably accurate, 10 bit etc. Customer service has been good. They recently replaced my screen because if some smudge issues in quick order. The only thing I can't seem to get a straight answer on is how to put LUTs into the thing.

I've usually been feeding it LUTs downstream but now I need to actually have LUTs in the monitor itself. Can anyone direct me to some instruction / tutorial set that shows me what exactly I have to do to get LUTs in this monitor? I've written to OSEE and had no luck. So anyone who's successfully done this please, give me the play by play.

Thanks
    Ned Wilson
    IATSE Local 600
    Brooklyn, NY

I was sent a program by Kyle Belford (of OSEE America, the company selling these monitors here) but I don't think I was still ever able to get a LUT loaded on. It's a windows-only application and I run primarily OS X, so I don't know if it's an issue of the app in Parallels that wasn't working or what. I tried it once or twice in the past couple months, but inevitably grew tired of struggle. I gave them a lot of crap for selling the monitor with "Easy to load LUT" tagline, while the process is far from easy. I don't think they care.

What smudge issue did you have? I've had weird ghosting on fast motion. Is that an issue with the panel and not just a trait of the monitor?
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

LUT Install Instructions -
    Program must be installed and run on a PC or a Mac that has Bootcamp or similar software. A mac version is said to be in the works.

- If you have problems installing the program try doing it as a Win 7 or 32 bit install

1. Before anyone can use this they need to be able to see the monitor web browser with their PC2. Do not over right any factory LUT spaces (Unless you have followed Step 3 and feel comfortable doing so, we can show anyone how to re-load the factory LUTs or do it remotely)3. back up your factory LUTs before uploading any new puts, using the BackUp button.
    4. Use lattice to convert to a 33 point lut, or export the correct 33 point format out of Resolve / Speedgrade, etc.
    5. Navigate to your LUT using the finder / explorer window that pops up when you hit the button to Load a LUT
    6. Make sure the LUT file is named correctly, and in the correct space
    7. Load the LUT
    8. Monitor will refresh - you will see OSEE logo, and when it turns back on, you will be able to navigate to your LUT via the menu.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

So much for easily loadable LUTs. Sorry, I haven't used PC in ten years. Do you plug in to computer via ethernet adaptor? I'm not much of a computer person so any step by step tutorial that really lays down the specifics would be great (ie. I've no idea what PC2 is).
    Ned Wilson
    IATSE Local 600
    Brooklyn, NY

yea kind of a bummer they arent as easy as the smallhd 702. :(
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

With the money I saved on the (way) sub $1000 price on this monitor last year I invested in one of these to easily load configurable luts FAST instead of pulling my hair out with a command line style environment in a high pressure situation:

http://teradek.com/collections/colr

Totally Worth it.

Check out this sick bracket too that makes it a snap to power the monitor from a battery and attach AKS to it:

http://www.paralinx.net/store/vesa-m...attery-bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Wilson View Post
    So much for easily loadable LUTs. Sorry, I haven't used PC in ten years. Do you plug in to computer via ethernet adaptor? I'm not much of a computer person so any step by step tutorial that really lays down the specifics would be great (ie. I've no idea what PC2 is).
    I thought the same thing when I read "PC2", but it's just that the list was missing a few paragraph breaks. Should have read like this:

1. Before anyone can use this they need to be able to see the monitor web browser with their PC
    2. Do not over right any factory LUT spaces (Unless you have followed Step 3 and feel comfortable doing so, we can show anyone how to re-load the factory LUTs or do it remotely)
    3. back up your factory LUTs before uploading any new puts, using the BackUp button.

4. Use lattice to convert to a 33 point lut, or export the correct 33 point format out of Resolve / Speedgrade, etc.
    5. Navigate to your LUT using the finder / explorer window that pops up when you hit the button to Load a LUT
    6. Make sure the LUT file is named correctly, and in the correct space
    7. Load the LUT
    8. Monitor will refresh - you will see OSEE logo, and when it turns back on, you will be able to navigate to your LUT via the menu.

But, as it stands, I'm still not sure what to garner from #6. Named correctly? Compared to what? There is no example, no naming convention specified, is "correct space" referring to it being a 33-point LUT or is that a totally new thing to check? What space should it be and how to do I change it if it's wrong? Will the software tell me whether the name was wrong or the space was wrong? Or does it just give a generic error and it's up to me to figure out?

These are pretty poor instructions for a pretty poor implementation of "easy LUT support", one of the monitor's selling points. But alas, we forgive cheap products for failing to adequately deliver on promises because they are cheap.

And Dan Kanes, it's cool that there is a workaround by buying a $1000 third-party product but there shouldn't need to be. Oh well, I'm usually looping through my SmallHD 502 anyway, so I'll just enable LUT on the output.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

I totally agree it should be "easy" as they claim.

and in some ways it's "easy" compared to a dental root canal.

But the old adage you get what you pay for totally applies to this monitor. As cheap as it was, I don't really have any room to complain about a partial implementation of a "luxury grade" feature found on nicer monitors, and accessory tools.

I think I paid $600 for this monitor. If I paid $1000+ for it I might be pissed about the lut feature being so sub-par.

OSEE should work a bit harder to get this feature working in a more robust way. Easy access to LUTs is a must these days. The production community is small, especially when trying to build brand value with good word of mouth. Now that they have moderated the pricing to $xxxx, they can no longer expect users to overlook a key advertised feature. Not to mention that any upstart vendor could be one NAB away from being a darling to 'hey guys, check this out over here'.

Anyone able to help with some of these questions?

What settings for colour temp and colour space one should put the monitor in for the following:

On set using LCM 156 field monitor:
    • Using HDMI input with Red Dragon Epic using RedDragon colour space and RedGamma4 and wanting to view what the camera is capturing?
    • Using HDSDI input using Red Dragon Epic using RedDragon colour space and RedGamma4 and wanting to view what the camera is capturing?
    • Using HDSDI input using Red Dragon Epic using RedLogFilm and wanting to view in Rec709?
    • Using HDSDI input using Red Dragon Epic using RedLogFilm and wanting to view in Rec2020?

Using the monitor for grading purposes:
    • What colour temp / colour space settings should be used when outputting to the LCM 156 via HDMI?
    • What colour temp / colour space settings should be used when outputting to the LCM 156 via HDSDI when viewing footage in a RedLogFilm state and wanting to view with a Rec 709?
    • What colour temp / colour space settings should be used when outputting to the LCM 156 via HDSDI when viewing footage in a RedLogFilm state and wanting to view with a Rec 2020?
    • What colour temp / colour space settings should be used when outputting to the LCM 156 via HDSDI when wanting to view your footage with the way it was shot in camera?
    I'd also like to find out what these colour temps actually refer to: D32, D50, D56, D65, D93.
    What setting should my colour space be on and so on.

If any of these questions could be answered or clarified that would be great.

Thanks!
    Phil J W Moreton - Cinematographer - London

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W
    Arri Alura 18-80mm, Xenon FFs, Leica R PL, RT Motion +++