Thread: DSMC2 Handheld/shoulder configurations

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DSMC2 Handheld/shoulder configurations 
    I have my new DSMC2 body on order (it happens to be a Scarlet-W, but this question is relevant to all DSMC2 cameras) and am considering various accessory configurations, as I know many others are.

I do a lot of handheld shooting from the shoulder, and am wondering what others are using, or considering, for a shoulder-mounted DSMC2 setup. I would like to keep the rig as light as possible.

The V-lock expander offers the lightest, most minimal handheld configuration, but paired with a shoulder support like the DSMC Shoulder Pad would create an unbalanced, front-heavy rig (if that pad would even work with DSMC2). I would like to maintain the weight benefits of the DSMC2 system so would like to avoid adding additional counterweights or a cumbersome Shape style shoulder rig. I am used to a camera rig that uses rear 15mm rods with a 15mm-mounted v-mount plate to balance the weight on the shoulder without adding any additional heavy components. I also tend to mount wireless receivers on this plate.

I am considering using the non V-mount base expander, rear rods (somehow without blocking the air vents) and a 15mm v-mount plate with integrated RED power cable so the battery weight is movable and a somewhat balanced rig is achievable on the shoulder.

Anyone used anything like this, or been thinking about a similar configuration? Anyone have a favorite shoulder-mount or handheld DSmC2 configuration? Thanks so much in advance.

Not sure why the same shoulder rigs that work with DSMC1 wouldn't work with DSMC2. Yes, the camera is about 1.5 lbs lighter but it doesn't look like the balance would change much. Shifting the position on a shoulder mount slightly should work.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Balance is key!
    I all ways use a rod mounted(19mm carbon) bebob with v-lock. this way the rig can be balanced on my shoulder with different lenses.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Maybe I should rephrase: what specific configurations of DSMC2 accessories (in particular DSMC2 rear modules) are people using or considering for handheld work?

Is there any known way to attach 15mm lightweight rods to the rear of a DSMC2 body? It looks like in theory you could attach WC's LW 15mm Bracket to the back of their Weapon Easy Riser but it would partially block the vents. Thanks all.

Agree that most of the obvious rigging choices for either DSMC platform are quite front heavy. Sometimes I am able to use a rod mounted pad in front of the brain, just under the lens barrel - sadly there is often too much going on in that area - follow focus, lens support, etc that makes it problematic.

If you use 15mm Studio offset, rather than the video style on-center 15mm LW iris rod standard, you can actually pass the rods all the way through if you like - and stay below the fan vents while you're at it...

Cheers - #19

I asked the guys at WC and was told that the WC Rod Clamp (15LW) can be used to attach rear 15mm rods to Weapon without blocking th vents. I was also told that WC had an adapter in development to allow the RED monitor to be mounted in front of the WC handle. Interesting.

I understand the need for 19mm support for bigger lenses and larger studio rigs, but for me those will be rental items. My go to kit will be set up for run and gun with 15mm LW support. Can't wait to see all of the new DSMC2 accessories start rolling out in 2016.