Thread: LG's Professional 4K Monitors

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LG's Professional 4K Monitors 
    Yes, LG now has a line of Pro-Grade UHD displays. They will be introduced at CES 2016 as part of their yearly product offerings. They will come in two product lines, UD68 and UD88. The UD68 comes in a 27-inch model and will be equipped with AMD's FreeSync tech, for variable refresh rates. The UD88 will have 27-inch and 32-inch models with color presets for REC. 709 and SMPTE-C, among others. Connectivity will have the latest USB interface for use with Laptops and there should be DisplayPort too, but no word on the exact specs of that connection or if it will be complemented by HDMI 2.0. As the monitors are designed for "creative professionals", it's likely that at least one - the UD88 - will be sporting HDMI 2.0 AND DP 1.3 for 60hz. LG will also be introducing new QHD monitors for video editors with Thunderbolt 2 connectivity for the current MacPro systems, in case any of you want to switch to one of those types of displays.
    Last edited by L. Langer; 12-17-2015 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Updated Information

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Manfred Lopez
    Director - Writer

BIO - IMDB

If they can do real Rec709, I'll be very impressed. But I'm also skeptical.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    If they can do real Rec709, I'll be very impressed. But I'm also skeptical.
    I wouldn't jump on a new screen until it can do REC2020 as well. I'm holding on to my money waiting for a 4K REC2020 or new Dolby standard screen.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

damn 32 only ... i need at least a 42" for my room ...

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I wouldn't jump on a new screen until it can do REC2020 as well. I'm holding on to my money waiting for a 4K REC2020 or new Dolby standard screen.
    There are ST 2084 HDR prototypes out there now being tested by several major LA and NY post houses. One report had it that the monitor took three simultaneous 15-amp power lines in order to run it; a more recent one required one solid dedicated 20-amp connection and heated up the room quite a bit in less than an hour.

These are going to be very, very power-hungry displays. I'm very skeptical that it will be possible to mass-produce a 1000-nit consumer set (more than 30 times the brightness of a conventional display) and not run into considerable challenges with power consumption and panel lifespan. Note that there are some pretty steep requirements for "green" power for many devices these days in most states.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Turchi View Post
    damn 32 only ... i need at least a 42" for my room ...
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

If the 30" Sony's and Dolby monitors are $35,000, what do you think a 40" model will cost? I'm guessing at least 50% more, if it could even be built.

At some point, a laser projector makes a lot more sense -- and those do exist and do work fine for HDR. But at theatrical levels -- maybe 100 nits for a 25' screen.

Love to see HDMI and DP support.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Langer View Post
    Yes, LG now has a line of Pro-Grade UHD displays. They will be introduced at CES 2016 as part of their yearly product offerings. They will come in two product lines, UD68 and UD88. The UD68 comes in a 27-inch model and will be equipped with AMD's FreeSync tech, for variable refresh rates. The UD88 will have 27-inch and 32-inch models with color presets for REC. 709 and SMPTE-C, among others. Connectivity will have the latest USB interface for use with Laptops and there should be DisplayPort too, but no word on the exact specs of that connection or if it will be complemented by HDMI 2.0. As the monitors are designed for "creative professionals", it's likely that at least one - the UD88 - will be sporting HDMI 2.0 AND DP 1.3 for 60hz. LG will also be introducing new QHD monitors for video editors with Thunderbolt 2 connectivity for the current MacPro systems, in case any of you want to switch to one of those types of displays.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Keir View Post
    Love to see HDMI and DP support.
    CES is going to make you very happy. Even the budget players are rolling out HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 on their upcoming UHD monitors. Still no sign of DP 1.3, but I suspect that it is being held over for the next-gen GPUs, as the most important features of 1.3 aren't done cooking in the labs yet.