Thread: Will Scarlet Dragon be upgradable to next generation sensor??

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Javier - I can definitely sympathise with you and understand completely where you are coming from. But here is my take on this issue, for what it is worth...:

1st the Obsolescence Obsolete. You need to keep in mind the key RED policy about "Everything Changes". But even so - to Jim's and Jarred's credit - they have over the years constantly reminded us that the route forward is sea saw between body and sensor. RED ONE got a sensor upgrade to MX and then the MX sensor went to the new DSMC body (Scarlet and Epic). Then DSMC bodies got the new Dragon sensor and the Dragon went to the new DSMC2 bodies. So in the next step DSMC2 bodies will get new sensors beyond Dragon. And so on and so forth. We can't claim this is a surprise...

But please consider this. The golden standard and future-proof format for a while is going to be 4K. Even thou we here in Tokyo are directly involved in the 8K evolution - I can tell you that even NHK plans (and they are the leaders in introducing new standards to the broadcasting world) to use 8K alongside 4K for quite a while (read at least the next 10 years). While the original Scarle was 4K - this was not ideal due to debayering process. The Scarlet Dragon addressed this with its 5K sensor (and you can even do 6K for time-lapses, etc). And unlike the Raven - Scarlet can change mounts and OLPF, allowing for much greater optical path flexibility. So with Scarlet Dragon you have a state-of-the-art digital camera system that will serve you well for at least the next 10 years. My first Scarlet (MX) paid itself off within the first year...

I know that from you PoV the glass is half empty. For Hugh above the glass is half full. Just remember that the glass is always full. It is full of water and air. Everything in life is a relative thing based on your PoV. When you figure this out you will greatly improve the quality of your life...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar
    I'm absolutely certain that is the case.
    Okay, I found the post from Jarred.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land
    Thats wrong... the next sensor you will need the DSMC2 internals. Epic has already had 2 rounds of sensors just like the RED ONE did. Like someone else mentioned, it is a tick-tock cycle. There is a point where you need new ASICS to take advantage of new Senors, and vice versa.
    The Raven and Scarlet are low priced in terms of RED cameras, so trade-in's probably do not make as much sense from REDs point of view. E.g. Scarlet owners get $2500 trade-in for Weapon or get a $2500 discount off the Scarlet-W package and keep your camera.

I was just wondering if they would give us more options since they share same sensor. There is a big gap on price between Scarlet-W and Weapon that wasn't before with Scarlet-Epic. Scarlet-W isn't a great deal for some Scarlet Dragon owners in terms of image quality. So I was hoping they would give us the opportunity to wait till next sensor with a trade-in, either you have Scarlet Dragon or Scarlet-W, but I guess I was expecting too much...

Now my debate is what is worth on my terms, keep with Scarlet Dragon or update to Scarlet-W and then be able to continue with "trade-ins" in future and don't be obsolete.

Or I just thought on an interesting way to upgrade and don't loose 6K. Since it's all matter of sensor (I guess), I'd be happy to give my Scarlet Dragon sensor and then this to be installed on the new DSMC2 body, in that way I won't loose 6K stills. Wouldn't that be great?
    New Threat: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-new-Scarlet-W
    Last edited by Javier Badet; 12-13-2015 at 03:32 AM.

As for the RED store price of the Scarlet Dragon, I imagine you will see it phase out before you see a price change. When the Scarlet-W starts shipping, I think Scarlet Dragon is EOL. And I doubt they'll sell too many of them between now and Spring - unless someone has the idea of buying one to get good deal on the new Scarlet-W package.

That said, I also don't see Scarlet Dragons becoming "cheap." There may be a few who panic and think they have to "dump" their Scarlet-Ds to pay for the Scarlet-W they just bought, but I think prices will remain "reasonable" for that camera because it is so terribly competent. Of course, we all have different definitions of reasonable.

They way I see it, should I decide to sell my Dragon, I will also be selling a bunch of modules and accessories that will work with it but won't with the new generation (DSMC2). While, I will undoubtedly take a "haircut" on each item, the ability to offer someone a very complete shooting package for a good price will allow me to recover much of investment in the Scarlet Dragon brain and then some. In some ways, it will be nice to purge my kit of a lot of equipment I have accumulated over the years to "start clean" with the new platform - until, of course, we see DSMC3 introduced. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    That said, I also don't see Scarlet Dragons becoming "cheap." There may be a few who panic and think they have to "dump" their Scarlet-Ds to pay for the Scarlet-W they just bought, but I think prices will remain "reasonable" for that camera because it is so terribly competent. Of course, we all have different definitions of reasonable.
    And there is still 6k for stills that the new scarlet doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by sam karr
    And there is still 6k for stills that the new scarlet doesn't have.

Sam, do you ever shoot 6k stills on your Scarlet? Always curious how many actually use the 6k feature on Scarlet. I think for Timelapse, 6k makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    Sam, do you ever shoot 6k stills on your Scarlet? Always curious how many actually use the 6k feature on Scarlet. I think for Timelapse, 6k makes total sense.
    I don't but several people were complaining these last days about the scarlet losing 6k because they used it. So i guess it can be an extra spec that will push Red to let the price as it is.

To answer the OP:

NO, Scar-D will not be upgradable to the next "Omicron"* RED sensor tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    ...in the next step DSMC2 bodies will get new sensors beyond Dragon.
    And this too

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Scully View Post
    I'll just buy the next camera when there's a new sensor in how ever many years and shoot the crap out of this SD in the meantime.
    Yeah, frankly any version of Dragon is so good, that for many shooting at speed, you are more then fine.

but the next sensor on the DSMC2 platform is what to keep an eye on for existing DSMC1 Dragon owners.

If you can spring it, VVeapon 8K will be the bees knees, but for me it will be a rental.

for new buyers in the indie market embracing the future, Raven is soo sweet and the clear choice.
    (man oh man, wish there was a mono Raven, but i'll shut up about that )

*"Omicron" is just what i'm using in reference to the next generation RED sensor.
    The word literally means "little great" and is just past the middle of the greek alphabet.
    Last edited by Daniel Reed; 12-13-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde