Thread: Sound Devices PIX-E series

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Sound Devices PIX-E series 
    In the market for a new monitor and looking for feedback from anyone using these....

in the only recent review I could find, the reviewer said that the file structure naming conventions would be available in "future firmware" - does anyone know if this future firmware has been enabled?

can timecode be passed through from an EPIC? can start be triggered by the camera record button?

how is the screen display? how is the battery life?

I guess these are my biggest questions -

1 - file names 2 - timecode consistency 3 - focus assists/waveforms/quality of display 4 - battery life

It seems like the Pix 240 had timecode and replicated file names - which makes me think these should have the same features - but there isn't much confirming info out there that I can find....

anyone using one of these who could provide feedback - I would much appreciate it.

well, no one is using these? no wonder the -7 doesn't list RED support on its website. oh well.

I have the Pix E5.

It's excellent. A big improvement over the old ones.

Record trigger works perfectly. Even via a paralinx tomahawk.

You can make file names easily, and it adds numbers to them. So, that works.

Screen is bright.

Battery, just using big Sony ones is fine, and it can run off two at a time and hot swap one.

Only thing I am missing is waiting for someone to make a good directors cage for it.
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com

I don't think the 7 is even shipping yet, is it? I too am interested in how well it works for focus use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I have the Pix E5.

It's excellent. A big improvement over the old ones.

Record trigger works perfectly. Even via a paralinx tomahawk.

You can make file names easily, and it adds numbers to them. So, that works.

Screen is bright.

Battery, just using big Sony ones is fine, and it can run off two at a time and hot swap one.

Only thing I am missing is waiting for someone to make a good directors cage for it.
    interesting. thank you for the responses.

so the unit currently does not pass through the file names, like the PIX 240, meaning the promised firmware update has not yet occurred. this is useful information. I'm always a little skeptical about these. It always takes longer, and sometimes manufacturers just give up on incorporating certain functions. I'd really prefer not to have to generate file names manually.

We've got the E7. It's really good too. Screen is bright and sharp and build quality is the best. Mostly use it with A7SII's as opposed to RED's though.