Thread: RedRay + Ecosystem Status

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 RedRay + Ecosystem Status 
    Why have all things RedRay gone quiet? Is the project RedRay officially EOL?

Would like to know also
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Perhaps in the future RED will adjust their disclosure policy/SOP for products are deemed EOL or no longer supported with an official statement. Although going forward, it may be less of an issue as the current product line and focus is primarily cameras at this point.

Of late the ability to create files from most recent RCX is a plus.

Everything else is stalled.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

+1 Eric, having the ability to author .red files in a current version of RCX, rather than having to roll 22.1 (IIRC), makes creating files for RedRay so much more accessible. Sure, it would be great if RED was actively pushing RedRay, but at least they told us it was an EOL product before selling out their inventory.

I really appreciate Jarred and the RedTeam making the effort to put the encoder in the latest RCX. Now I can say yes to using the RedRay in a variety of use cases where I used to demur due to the hassle and time suck of dealing with an ancient version of RCX which required older Rocket drivers, Apple plugs, etc.

Cheers - #19

I think the RedRay player as we all know it is EOL. Even being professional hardware, it launched to market with the wrong set of connectivity options and didn't arrive at a good price point.

Although, I'm hoping that RED is continuously working on the .RED format and future uses for the concept. I would really like to see it evolve into a proper archival and presentation format with the ability to offer lossless compression as an option and be entirely independent of resolution and frame rate. Would like to see it as an uber format that could store a master archive of your feature or whatever at 5K, 6K or even 16K or whatever resolution you could create it in and be able to allow for easy extraction and presentation/ distribution to established formats like 4K, HD, etc...

Would also like to see its audio abilities evolved as well. Audio has been a huge issue with the current RedRay players and format. The audio actually seems to cause the majority of incompatibilities with AV Receiver and other hardware that I've encountered. That and flakey HDCP And in the end, 8 channels is nowhere near enough. We need 64 minimum, IMO. Preferably going to unlimited, so uber video archive files can store multi-channel audio for multiple language tracks or alternate presentations, sound phasing or even variations on individual language and/ or score or FX tracks.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I think that Odenax player volume was the plan to pay the hardware off to reduce the price. I hope we can get redray on internet plug in player now for market penertration, like it should be. My own plug in java alternative plan decades ago, I concluded it was hopeless trying to sell the plug in.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

I can tell you one thing for certain, Google would probably be willing to pay up to a billion dollars to buy it, even Netflix. The amount of server side data savings is a key, plus the quality to customer. Bye.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

Yes,.. A Billion dollars.

Jim.