Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Display Options For 4k Red-ray

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Here we are in September of 2010 and, AFAIK, the options for 4K display are still extremely limited unless you have $$$,$$$.

If anyone knows of shipping 4K monitors/projectors that are even remotely "affordable" please share. Thanks.

Cheers - #19
    A friend of mine recently began working in the marketing dept for Epson projectors. I asked her to chat to folks to see how that 4K projector was coming along...

Lemme see if I can get them connected with us REDusers.

No promises, but any messages from the community I should pass on? How low a price do they need to hit? $20,000? $10,000? How many sales do you think I could honestly say they'd be likely to get from you guys?

I can dream of a 4K projector group buy though, can't I :)

Actually, did Epson ever properly respond to Jim when he had that "calling Epson" thread?

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

2. #22 Potential customer feedback for Epson dev team 
    Minimum specs: QuadHD (3,840 x 2,160), LCoS or DLP based, 1,200 lumens, 2,000:1 contrast ratio, 99% of rec 709 color gamut, 96% of P3 gamut, decent stock lens and access to calibration controls.

Street price of $10,000 and I'll buy one today. Street price of $20,000 and I will expect more than the minimum specs described above but if the picture is good I'd pay it. More than that and the ROI gets tough quickly, at least for my business model.

Anyone know the street price for a Projection Design F35 projector?
    (single chip DLP, 2560 x 1600, 6500 ansi lumens, 36-bit RGB)

Cheers - #19

Uh... What Blair said. Epson needs to hit the QuadHD mark or better yet, full 4K. They also can't shaft their customers with a $10K projector and a $3500 bulb to replace every 2500 hours as some projector makers do.

Oh and if they really want to make a splash, they should make a 3D projector that incorporates a polarizing wheel along with the DLP color wheel in the projector so we can set up passive 3D systems without the need for two separate projectors and concerns over convergence etc..
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Minimum specs: QuadHD (3,840 x 2,160), LCoS or DLP based, 1,200 lumens, 2,000:1 contrast ratio, 99% of rec 709 color gamut, 96% of P3 gamut, decent stock lens and access to calibration controls.

Street price of $10,000 and I'll buy one today. Street price of $20,000 and I will expect more than the minimum specs described above but if the picture is good I'd pay it. More than that and the ROI gets tough quickly, at least for my business model.

Anyone know the street price for a Projection Design F35 projector?
    (single chip DLP, 2560 x 1600, 6500 ansi lumens, 36-bit RGB)

Cheers - #19
    Hi Blair. I posted a GROUP BUY for this a few months back... its still not shipping until Nov and possibly until January now .I LOVE Their 1080 F32 projectors... swear by them for the $... but these will ONLY be sub $30K on a group buy... MAYBE sub $25K if we could get 100 of them.

Still a screaming deal for a BEYOND 2K projector... and the TI Dark chip and VIZ SIM color wheel is the same as used in the Christie... not to mention a much SMALLER form factor than a SONY or Christie, Barco, etc.
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

So Guys, is there anything cheap for 4K, apart from those old poor secondhand 21inch monitors for 4-5 years ago?

I had planned on doing a design with a optical device to stich together 4 or more pictures to make SHD, but my bad health has prevented me. However, a simpler thign somebody might attempt, is a bracket for 4 or more projectors, to line up and focus on screen. If Red wanted to I could show them possibly how to make a SHD desktop display for sale beneath $5K (reality is under $2K as a mass produced product without antitrust based restrictions). I actually was planning on doing such a device, but hit a snag handling the data bandwidth on the components at that time (which also culled of the idea of camera recorder, or compressed in socket sized SD card recorder). When you get to that stage, it is like the old song, 'blue skies, looking at me, nothing but blue skies do I see', then you give up the idea until you can afford otherwise. Anyway, the projector bracket thing is doable if anybody is interested, the trick is getting a hi-fidelity projector cheap enough (I had a few possible sources in mind).

On the humorous side: Ever get sick of still getting weird looks you even dare mention something in the SHD-4K range in a 'computer' shop, where they usually have no idea (even though Nvidia was pushing it over 4 or more years ago) not to mention that you can buy SHD TV's now. I had one guy saying that no screen was available with even 4 million pixels when I asked if Apple was upgrading the display he had across from the counter (I think he actually resorted to using his on screen calculator, I think he was one of the better ones, some guys are just like watching fish in a bowl, as with many, so frustratingly fascinating).
    Reputation is something the unwise apply.
    But integrity is what the wise apply.

.....say a consumer grade 56"x 4K television (somewhere) costs ~$20,000.
    television prices drop about 30% per year, so we can expect the following....looking at the list it'll feels a little optimistic....
    (take this with a grain of salt!)

2010 - $20,000
    2011 - $13,000
    2012 - $8,500
    2013 - $5,700
    2014 - $4,000
    2015 - $2,500
    2016 - $1,800

D,

Quote Originally Posted by david farland View Post
    television prices drop about 30% per year, so we can expect the following....looking at the list it'll feels a little optimistic....

2010 - $20,000
    2011 - $13,000
    2012 - $8,500
    2013 - $5,700
    2014 - $4,000
    2015 - $2,500
    2016 - $1,800

D,
    Actually the only one out now is the ASTRO and costs $69,995 USD at BH-Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...K_x_2K_10.html

So triple all these numbers and in 2016 - a 4K monitor will be $5400, right?
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Anyone TEST this $15K 4K projector yet? Holy Shit! its only $15,000 USD? is that a typo?

JVC DLA-SH7NL

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...projector.html
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lowe View Post
    I would love to have a 40" 4K for editing.

Some people might think there is not enough of a market to justify a manufacturer making a 4K 40" LCD. But imagine how many still photographers, for example, would flock to such a device, allowing them to color correct, photoshop, etc, at 4K. That thing would be THE hot ticket for tens of thousands of photographers, not to mention thousands of Red owners, and soon tens of thousands of Red owners. Oh, and what about interest from the PC gaming community?

The first bigtime 4K LCD at a somewhat reasonable price is gonna sell like hotcakes.
    I think you are right on here, the computer community will drive it initially. Beside photo/video/cad/gaming there are a lot scientific/industrial uses - the process control people love those high res displays. In our area the museum, trade show and signage people latched onto hidef much quicker than the regular tv/motion pic industry and I think they will do the same with high res displays. You don't even need a 4k movie cam to do 4k photos and PowerPoint style presentations (with maybe 1080 video in a window) so I think it will happen fairly quickly once it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by david farland View Post
    I've always heard that as they double the quantity sold, the cost is halved, so the curve is much steeper atbthe beginning.
    Save the Sharks
    Red #206/Epic-X Stage2 Now shipping Epic U/W housings - accepting orders - contact us. U/W housing for REDONE - for sale or rent. Check out our new Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whitcomb View Post
    Anyone TEST this $15K 4K projector yet? Holy Shit! its only $15,000 USD? is that a typo?

JVC DLA-SH7NL

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...projector.html
    The price does not include a lens.