Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Manure

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    David,

Can we hope, or politely ask for, that you post all of your subsequent entries to this thread as well, for those of us who are not subscribed or don't visit Cinematography.com? That would be most excellent!
    Rudi Herbert

www.UnderwaterCinema.com

A site about the equipment and techniques of the art of underwater cinematography

Banned
    This-looks-like-FUN! Hope you will duplicate your blog here, or link to where it is posted.

edit: just realized i get the same feeling from this I felt when I watched Burt Lancaster and Kathryn Hepburn in Rainmaker.

David,

This is great that you'll be doing this blog. I am curious to see your results, especially given the challenges that you outlined.

What is your video village setup? How will you be judging focus? I would imagine that you will use the EVF, with video village loading footage and double checking on high res monitors.

Can you go into a bit more detail about what you were seeing during the screening of test footage. Was the noise you were seeing very specific to REC709?

Thanks David, look forward to seeing the film!
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

We bought two 24" JVC HD monitors for video village, so I'll be seeing focus better than the AC and operators... We'll have the EVF's, etc.

I had a very warm (full orange) and hot backlight on a scene with a bounce board to catch it and bounce it into the shadows, and I noticed a lot of chunky red noise in the darkest shadows on one angle. We color-corrected it out by pulling down the red saturation. It's a phenomenon I see a lot on the F900 when using the Rec 709 mode -- Rec 709 has a very boosted red chroma level, so often reds go unnaturally saturated and noisy, aggravated by HDCAM compression and color-subsampling. What I saw reminded me of that, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the Rec 709 display matrix more than what's in the RAW files, but it's something to watch out for when color-correcting, just in case is shows up on the film-out later. This is why it is critical to color-correct something meant for theatrical projection on a large screen, to catch noise problems that creep in from certain color-correction decisions, so at least you can change your mind or do something to fix noise problems.

I have yet to test the noise level of tungsten-lit scenes, which we have about 20% of in this movie. Jim Mathers, who has shot two RED features, feels it is not really a problem, the PlasterCity folks say there is some increased noise when shooting tungsten but it's not bad. I didn't get any blue filters so I may stick some 1/4 blue gel on lights when possible, but it won't always be possible.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

David, I highly recommend the TV Logic monitors. I just installed one and they are really good. You can get them precisely calibrated, and there is an ND glass filter that you can attach to the front which gets the blacks a little richer. If it's just pure resolution and focus issues you are looking at, then maybe it's not such an issue. I'm sure the JVCs are fine. Some folks in here have them and seem pretty satisfied.

I have noticed a similar thing in terms of the REC709. Thanks for going into more detail on that. I'm hoping to do a test next week with Tungsten and blue filters just to get some comparison.

Thanks again for keeping us posted about your experience with RED.
    Steve Sherrick
    Chief Collaborator
    Modern Vintage Media
    STEVESHERRICK.COM
    Local 600 DIT/Operator

Thank you David!!!

Please keep posting your experience as you use the RED. I am very curious to see what you are using on set and to see how you use the RED camera.

Again- Thank you!

This is a great thread, thank you for sharing David. Can't wait to hear more about your experience with RED and this film.

Here's to hoping you have a great RED experience! Thanks for the blog. Very educational as usual.

A brave movie title considering what the critics can do with it if the movie doesn't review well. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ing View Post
    A brave movie title considering what the critics can do with it if the movie doesn't review well. :)
    We're thinking of holding a crew contest to see who can predict the worst lines that the reviewers will use referencing the title and subject matter. I'm just surprised that Variety missed the boat when announcing that Billy Bob Thornton was doing our movie, it could have been headlined "THORNTON STEPS INTO MANURE" or something along those lines.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com