Thread: RedLink compatible lenses (EF/Nikon mount with remote control)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks.

I'll update.

As to the 18-35mm, have you tried opening it up fully and closing it fully and opening again with the remote?
    When I do that, the lens goes N/A
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

It'd be nice if someone could do a formal comparison between the two/three options: Optitron 2, FoolControl iOS (via HotLink?), THC (via HotLink?)...

I really like the idea of having dedicated hardware that "just works" (THC or O2) rather than worrying about having an iPhone/iPod/iPad charged and with the software installed... However, price is the biggest factor, as I still think wireless EF lens control is very niche. Conversely, I like that FoolControl interfaces with the entire camera (curves, colour, settings, etc.)... Tough call.

I mean, I'd gladly do a comparison, but I don't have readily available access to any of the stuff.

EDIT: oh man, I got the prices of the motor and THC mixed up; $3k for THC, plus another $500 for HOTlink is too much in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 09-03-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Gunleik: I have no issues at all with the Sigma Art 18-35mm f1.8. It worked perfectly. . . indeed, it may be the best of all of the lenses I've tested here at the house. And I have no problems at all opening and closing the iris and losing communication. The only strange quirk, such as it is, is that the screen displays wide-open on that lens as 1.7 instead of 1.8. Don't know what's up with that.

Mike: I have seen the foolcontrol system at work, and it's utterly amazing. But in the iteration I saw here in town, it's not nearly as elegant as the Optitron 2 what with all the routers and gizmos I saw hanging off the camera. And then there's this: I just like the feel of a real wheel in my hands. I have not seen the THC at work.

Do I hope Jacek can add a little more functionality to the system, such as start-stops, focus push-in, and a recalibration command from the hand-controller? Yes, I do. But in the meantime, I really like the system and can definitely live with its "shortcomings" (such as they are).

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    It'd be nice if someone could do a formal comparison between the two/three options: Optitron 2, FoolControl iOS (via HotLink?), THC (via HotLink?)...

I really like the idea of having dedicated hardware that "just works" (THC or O2) rather than worrying about having an iPhone/iPod/iPad charged and with the software installed... However, price is the biggest factor, as I still think wireless EF lens control is very niche. Conversely, I like that FoolControl interfaces with the entire camera (curves, colour, settings, etc.)... Tough call.

I mean, I'd gladly do a comparison, but I don't have readily available access to any of the stuff.

EDIT: oh man, I got the prices of the motor and THC mixed up; $3k for THC, plus another $500 for HOTlink is too much in my opinion.
    I can't see what such a comparison would contribute.
    I'ts pretty clear what all three options are...
    I really don't think that the fool control counts as it will never match the perfomance due to the human interface difference.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Thanks Stephen. I've only seen the HotLink/FoolControl setup at work for about 10mins and was absolutely impressed. But like you, I think a physical handcontrol/wheel is the only way it would actually get used on a real set for more than just niche work (e.g. lightest weight configs for handheld, gimbal, crane, car mount, etc.) Conversely, for my own stuff, I wouldn't care what control is used (phone or knob), as it'd still be better/more accurate than pulling off the barrel of SLR glass (or at least that's what I'm hoping for).

Right now FC+HL is $450+$115+150 (for FC iOS) which is $715USD (probably end up being $1kCAD to my door). Seems like quite a bit for something that only works with one camera brand and stills glass (whereas $2k would get a more traditional, albeit entry-level, wireless follow focus that'll work with every camera/lens moving forward). That said, having wireless full camera control would be great.

I think if you want to compare, it's three levels.

Optitron2 vs THC + RedLink devkit

Optitron2 vs THC + WMD

Optitron2 vs THC + WMD + zoom motor.

Foolcontrol is great in its own respect, and I heard there were made some prototype handcontrollers for it.
    But I am basically looking at physical units, and until Mikael releases one, Foolcontrol has a lot of other fantastic functionality, but not what Optitron or the THC gives.

And I must say that I was extremely skeptical to the concept before trying it, and I am as impressed as Stephen (if not more) as it works remarkably well with the glass it works well with.

@Stephen, you cannot really gauge the latency of the Optitron on the screen, as there is quite a bit of latency to the screen, which would be equal even with a mechanical unit, and there is another level of latency out the SDI port (which 2nd AC's quite often use as their source for monitoring). You should always have an eye on the subject... :)

What I have found interesting with the Canons and Arts (including the 18-35) is if you watch the scale and the close to immediate response in the mechanics.

To add on the other side of the coin: None of the lenses I have tried can follow a really fast rack from one place to another. The speed varies quite a lot.

Interesting that we have different results with the 18-35. Maybe the firmware in the lens plays a part.

I would like the Optitron and Foolcontrol to play nice together, though. Jacek, not sure if you have tried that?
    Foolcontrol could give the re-calibrate command, I kinda miss, amongst other things.
    Last edited by Gunleik Groven; 09-03-2015 at 01:23 PM.

BTW. I encourage everyone with experience with controlling their lenses through the Canon or Nikon mount to add their experiences here...

(I know a guy who has probably used most of them... :) )

Just to be clear, does the THC work with HotLink or only REDlink? I figured that Hotlink was lighter, though I guess if you're main plan is going gimbal, having REDlink powered through the brain would forgo the need of additional power for the Hotlink (which would make RL a lighter option overall)...

They really should've built REDlink inside of a Module Adapter (with flippable plate, so it could connect direct to the brain or to another module adapter and have more modules attached to it)... I know it was for development, but what was RED thinking (very short sighted)? Trying to make heads or tails of Bjorn's sweet RL+1 module is a little too difficult and time consuming (especially given that DSMC is quasi-EOL.)

And, yeah, I thought Foolcontrol worked with (or was being built into) an RT Motion hand unit or something.

As to the last, Mikael could probably fill in blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    However, price is the biggest factor, as I still think wireless EF lens control is very niche. Conversely, I like that FoolControl interfaces with the entire camera (curves, colour, settings, etc.)... Tough call.
    We have our own MDR interface in the works so OptiTron2 will drive motors as well with it.
    We are broadening the OptiTron2 platform appeal as much as we can....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment