Thread: Rehoused Hasselblad lenses for 8k?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Nick, looking forward to your guide. Thanks in advance for putting it together.
    I also echo what Nick and Phil and Ketch say about using non internal shutter lenses. I am staying with the FE's.

And I am using a Hassie to PL mount adaptor that was not expensive and works great.
    Thanks Peter. It keeps getting longer every week, so...taking a while!

For those wondering the "F" and "FE" lenses are essentially the same, and both have no leaf shutter. The FE's are just newer, and have electrical contacts at the bottom in the mount. I have to assume the FE's had slight optical tweaks/improvements to them (as Zeiss is well known for "tweaking"), but both "F" series work well for film production, on set work.

Most of our glass is probably "F" if I had to go back and check....
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Nick, looking forward to your guide. Thanks in advance for putting it together.
    I also echo what Nick and Phil and Ketch say about using non internal shutter lenses. I am staying with the FE's.

And I am using a Hassie to PL mount adaptor that was not expensive and works great.
    Can anyone suggest a good Hassel to PL mount... or even a Hassel to EF canon?
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    Can anyone suggest a good Hassel to PL mount... or even a Hassel to EF canon?
    We use the Mirex Hassy to EOS T/S adapter. It's fantastic.
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    We use the Mirex Hassy to EOS T/S adapter. It's fantastic.
    Hi Nick, thanks for the tip. Is there anyway to know if this adapter will cover 41 mm wide of the 8k weapon? (i.e. is there anyway of knowing if the adapter itself will not create a vignette on a 8k sensor?)

edit: btw i did find the duclos Icebox that i think would give the info if a converter would have problems ... but haven't seen any data from it recently: https://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/...duclos-lenses/
    Last edited by PatrickFaith; 08-04-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    Hi Nick, thanks for the tip. Is there anyway to know if this adapter will cover 41 mm wide of the 8k weapon? (i.e. is there anyway of knowing if the adapter itself will not create a vignette on a 8k sensor?)
    Not sure. PM me offline, maybe there's a way I can measure ours for you?
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

how can these lenses resolve les detail? doing some research i found this "The use of so-called alternative glass on Canon EOS bodies has been popular for some time, and sometimes the reasons are compelling and the reward is great. However there are also people experimenting with medium format lenses on Canon EOS cameras via an adapter, perhaps in the hope of achieving something closer to medium format levels of detail. Unfortunately this is not the case. Medium format lenses resolve more detail overall mainly because they have a much larger image circle and use much larger pieces of film, or larger digital sensors. However, the amount of detail resolved per millimeter may even be less than a good 35mm format lens."

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    how can these lenses resolve les detail? doing some research i found this "The use of so-called alternative glass on Canon EOS bodies has been popular for some time, and sometimes the reasons are compelling and the reward is great. However there are also people experimenting with medium format lenses on Canon EOS cameras via an adapter, perhaps in the hope of achieving something closer to medium format levels of detail. Unfortunately this is not the case. Medium format lenses resolve more detail overall mainly because they have a much larger image circle and use much larger pieces of film, or larger digital sensors. However, the amount of detail resolved per millimeter may even be less than a good 35mm format lens."
    Yes. Generally speaking, the larger a lens's image circle, the less sharp it's prone to be. A quick look at Zeiss's MTF's tell you that Hasslebad glass are generally not quite as sharp as their Zeiss ZF/ZE and Contax counterparts. This is just a mathematical reality. What makes them "sharp" is they cover a massive 65mm negative, and THAT...is sharp.

That said, some Hassy's are still VERY sharp. The 50 2.8 F/FE can hold it's own against any full frame lens. Its frighteningly good.

And most Hassy's stopped down become...SHARP.

However, the beauty of shooting on Dragon is the sensor has so many pixels...it's generally not hard to outresolve. I believe Christopher Probst said Dragon gets outresolved at 100lp/m, which is basically a Super Speed wide open.

Which suggests most Hassy's should easily outresolve Dragon, even if they are not always "as sharp" as their full frame or cine cousins - ie they're probably more than "sharp enough".

However...what Hassys DO have as an advantage is you're generally shooting down the MIDDLE/HEART of the glass. Even at 8K on Weapon, you're still shooting down the middle of the lens. Meaning...edge distortions, aberrations, anomalies...these are completely avoided...and what you get instead is an incredibly well controlled and balanced image.

So...win some...lose some.
    Last edited by Nick Morrison; 08-05-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    Nick Morrison
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Guys thanks for the info, I can't wait to see some images from these lenses with the 8k sensor..

Always wondered about all that extra light from a huge image circle bouncing around the internal sensor area. Seems like it would reduce contrast and invite weird gate flares etc. Seems like you should have only the image circle you need for the given sensor size. Any thoughts on this?
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    Always wondered about all that extra light from a huge image circle bouncing around the internal sensor area. Seems like it would reduce contrast and invite weird gate flares etc. Seems like you should have only the image circle you need for the given sensor size. Any thoughts on this?
    Image circle and vignetting affect bokeh: http://toothwalker.org/optics/vignetting.html
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"