Thread: Skin tone OLPF vs Low light

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Skin tone OLPF vs Low light 
    Hi all,
    I've just done a test using the Low Light OLPF for the first time, for an exterior dingy lane night shoot with talent. So, I've found that there is a strong red bias compared to the Skin Tone OLPF. My first impression is that as there is a strong close up acting content to the night filming, that I stay with the Skin Tone OLPF. Certainly there is more light getting to the sensor with the Low light, but at some colour science cost. Maybe I'm also seeing additional noise because of the red bias? I rate my Dragon @ 620. Any comments?
    David Wakeley. Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wakeley View Post
    I rate my Dragon @ 620. Any comments?
    David Wakeley. Sydney.
    By 620 do you mean 320 (wrong first digit) or 640 (wrong second digit)?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Sorry, wrong 2nd digit. 640

David,

Have you changed the OPLF menu setting in the camera when swapping the OPLFs? I have swapped back and forth a few times and I struggle to see a difference? I have been cursed with quite a few night shoots recently and have used the LLO OPLF with success. I find I can rate up to 1000 and be clean. 1280asa is also good with just a hint of texture. I will qualify as a general obsevation that talking about noise in relation to ASA is fraught. Every camera person tends to expose differently and the nature and tones of the subject being photographed are both major influences.

That said I tend to favour the STH OPLF ( which I rate at 400asa or less) but if there is any advantage in the extra speed I am more than happy to go LLO OPLF as 400asa for exterior limited budget night shoots sucks.

At another tangent if you do push the ASA a little noise in the blacks is a non issue. Firstly the DEB setting in Redcine X should kill the red sparkle and noise reduction software can eat up any of the noise. Another added issue is watching pictures full bandwidth on computer screens really exagerates the noise. Once material is down rezzed to 1080 and then compressed and everything everybody watches is compressed the noise tends to dissapear.
    Tom Gleeson

We shoot Lowlight at 800 btw 2.8 and F4, and it does really well. Much better than MX at similar exposure. At 2.8, it's pretty great overall.

At 640 2.8, even better.

The more you feed this sensor, the happier it seems...but LLO does give you some nice room when you need it.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Red really needs to make "One OLPF to rule them all" I want to use the color science of the skin tone OLPF while shooting a very clean 2000 ISO. This was the whole premise of the Dragon sensor from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Farokhzad View Post
    Red really needs to make "One OLPF to rule them all" I want to use the color science of the skin tone OLPF while shooting a very clean 2000 ISO. This was the whole premise of the Dragon sensor from the very beginning.

This is such a sore subject.....I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.......

I'm not sure the premise was ever clean ISO 2000 with the skin tone OLPF.
    From memory, when I received my dragon upgrade (early - dec 2013/jan 2014) there was only one OLPF- the one that became known as low light. The Skintone OLPF was a revision that started shipping later, with color science to boost the image to overcome the light-loss, but intoducing noise issues.

Mark Pugh LA, and AUS.

www.markpughfilms.com
    Dragon #292

you are right !"This was the whole promise of the Dragon sensor from the very beginning " ISO 2000 !
    Jason Kwan
    Cinematographer/HKSC member

Red Epic M

Agreed, at least make the ultra tiny screws in them captive for faster swapping. Or if possible some kind of quick latch installation?

Last edited by Daniel Kelly Brown; 06-23-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com