Thread: Thunderbolt 3 switching to USB-C connector

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Thunderbolt 3 switching to USB-C connector 
    As long as there is more than one port...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/2/870...-computex-2015

With Apple and Google both warmly embracing the new USB-C connector in their new computers this year, the fate of the fast, but rarely used, Thunderbolt standard was coming into question. What would the future hold for Thunderbolt if most of its utility was to be replaced by a more convenient and popular USB standard? Well, Intel's solution has been to pursue the old maxim of joining the adversaries you can't defeat: the next version of Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 3, will come with a USB Type-C connector.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

To bad the mecanics of the connector looks awful.

Pat

it will most likely replace sata, eventually, if they could just get 3.5" hdds to run on 5v
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    To bad the mecanics of the connector looks awful.
    It's not too bad. It's actually better than mini displayport. Thunderbolt 3 host controllers can also allow USB 3.x operation the same way they also allow for displayport signaling. So When these ship and you have a TB-equipped USB-C connector, you can plug in a Thunderbolt 3 device. You can use a simple adapter to split TB3 into two TB2 ports. You can connect USB 3, 3.1 or 3.5 devices directly to the port as well. This is really a great way to go here. Intel is also changing the way they're going to license Thunderbolt, but all the details are not known yet. Looks like they're going to relax the iron grip, so maybe it will proliferate the market better. One can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwan Khan View Post
    it will most likely replace sata, eventually, if they could just get 3.5" hdds to run on 5v
    With the shift to USB-C, Thunderbolt-3 gains the higher power transfer abilities, so we can have TB3 monitors or external drives and other peripherals that take data and power all over the same cable.
    Last edited by Jeff Kilgroe; 06-02-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Let's just hope the chipsets for TB3 with all these clever features/interfaces are shipping sooner than later. IF, as predicted, the SkyLake-E based rigs (trash can V2 perhaps) ship in Q2'16, I sure hope they can implement TB3 properly right from jump. I'd be especially pumped to see solid support for TB networking as GigE is too slow for large media files and 10GigE is too big of a commitment for most small shops.

Cheers - #19

Who wants to sell me a 12bit UHD panel with TB3 I/O? Needs to be at least 50" and under $10K. FSI? Sony? Panny? Dolby!?!?

Give me 2,000 nits and robust calibration support and I'll go up to $15K ;-)

Cheers - #19

good decision if you ask me... this way they avoid the whole "more Apple- then PC-connector"-fuss which might be bad for a wider user base and it's a connector small enough to go for the thin designs they are focusing on with still maintaining somewhat professional specs...

here's a short but interesting story on the topic;
    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/03/14/apple-usbc

I would interpret that this means buying a Mac now is not a good idea, and those that can wait should definitely hold for next year's updates?
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

is it true that TB3 now is fast enough for external GPU ?
    thanks
    g

AFAIK, it's not just the size of the pipe that makes external GPUs problematic…

Cheers - #19