Thread: how can I scroll through LUTS easily in Davinci?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Too bad it's for Mac only.

Couldn't you do an agnosstic OFX plugin for Luts browsing ?
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    The problem with relying on fake LUTs is their effect on a given image is unpredictable, since whoever designed the LUT can't necessarily determine how the material was lit, exposed, and shot.
    That all really depends on what the look up table actually does.

Custom LUTs designed per project can work, but this goes back to the idea of a PowerGrade.
    Other types of custom look up tables can also work but they have to be specifically designed.

The advantage of a PowerGrade is that you can specifically design it not to clip or crush an image but instead merely make more subtle changes, particularly those involving keys or power windows.
    Lookup table can also be designed to avoid clipping and crushing with more access to signal particulars.

The PowerGrade can also work within Resolve's 32-bit limits and not "break" the dynamic range of the image. l
    Look up table does not have to "break" the DR. As with all, it greatly depends on how it is designed and used.

Quote Originally Posted by Bérenger Brillante View Post
    Too bad it's for Mac only.

Couldn't you do an agnosstic OFX plugin for Luts browsing ?
    After our initial release for Mac we'll look at what it requires to port to Windows. If you're interested in staying up to day I suggest signing up here:

http://coming.colorgradingcentral.co...avinci-resolve
    Denver Riddle

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    the mail confirmation doesn't work on my computer (Win10+opera) I'll try on my laptop.
    Bérenger B. Brillante
    --Director Showreel--

Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Look up table does not have to "break" the DR. As with all, it greatly depends on how it is designed and used.
    I didn't say it would. I said the grade never would, since you have the ability to tweak the correction anywhere you want. For those working in alternate color management, particularly ACES, LUTs aren't the answer. Powergrades (particularly custom ones for specific situations) can and do work, since the user can dig in and change both the input and output parameters and what the ultimate effect is with the given material.

My comments on LUT preview still hold: you can already do this in a custom Powergrade bin. You just have to create one grade per LUT, store it, name it, and then recall it as needed. But... in many cases, I think a Powergrade designed from scratch is more flexible, at least for the kind of work I do.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I didn't say it would. I said the grade never would, since you have the ability to tweak the correction anywhere you want. For those working in alternate color management, particularly ACES, LUTs aren't the answer. Powergrades (particularly custom ones for specific situations) can and do work, since the user can dig in and change both the input and output parameters and what the ultimate effect is with the given material.

My comments on LUT preview still hold: you can already do this in a custom Powergrade bin. You just have to create one grade per LUT, store it, name it, and then recall it as needed. But... in many cases, I think a Powergrade designed from scratch is more flexible, at least for the kind of work I do.
    Thanks for the clarification and your input.

Considering your context I agree, but as it is important not to throw away the creative potential of a full grading workflow by relying on LUT based creative look choices, it is also important not to generalize and go to the other extreme and throw away the potential of a lookup table based signal shaping potential, utilized in conjunction with particular grading tools.

There are many routes which allow integration, they just require a slight modification in methodology for proper usage to enable harvesting greater practical, productive and creative potential.

Plugin is now ready! 7 day free trial available :)

https://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lut-gallery

Denver Riddle

Denver, normally I would add something like this to Feature Requests thread. But since you've created a solution, I don't want to in any way impede your excellent work. ;)

I Coded a tool for you doing just that!
    A LUT Preview Gallery for Windows!
    http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....dows-LUTastic)