Thread: how can I scroll through LUTS easily in Davinci?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 how can I scroll through LUTS easily in Davinci? 
    Hey Guys,

Im trying to figure out a way that I can easily scroll through all my different LUT's with ease.
    At the moment, its a right-click, through a few menus, and then select the LUT. Then to see how the next LUT looks, Im doing it all again.

I know it doesn't sound like a massive problem, but is there an easier/quicker way to see all the different LUT's on my footage?

Eg. Pressing the down key to scroll through a list.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thomas

Make a little batch setup that flips in between all of them.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

maybe turn each one into a still and append them to your tree at will? won't really save a lot of clicks though...
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

The software program Lattice lets you
    Easily load a LUT and do a screen wipe
    comparison
    Frank Martin
    Powerhouse Filme
    IATSE 600 DoP
    http://frankmartin.zenfolio.com/

I do have lattice, and it works, but i'm still in the same boat as before - haviong to reload a LUT each time through a menu.

Im after something which may be quicker. If it doesn't exist, thats all good, but if it does, it would be brilliant!

So there is no easy(er) way to scroll through LUT's in davinci that anyone knows of?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Stockwell View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a way that I can easily scroll through all my different LUT's with ease.
    My suggestion would be to forego the LUT and instead save each look as a PowerGrade. PowerGrades are something you can go through fairly quickly with one click. It's not that hard to match the look of a LUT with the existing Primary, Secondaries, Log controls, and Curves already within the program. Actual color correction does not have to involve LUTs at all.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks Marc, ill give it a go!

The cool thing is to make a little setup that takes the image and splice it up in vertical bars and apply one lut to each one and when you scroll the image stay and these bars then slide from side to side over the image.... kind of letting the client choose from multiple options at once.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    The cool thing is to make a little setup that takes the image and splice it up in vertical bars and apply one lut to each one and when you scroll the image stay and these bars then slide from side to side over the image.... kind of letting the client choose from multiple options at once.
    The problem with relying on fake LUTs is their effect on a given image is unpredictable, since whoever designed the LUT can't necessarily determine how the material was lit, exposed, and shot. I've seen cases where even technical factory LUTs were unusable because the people shooting the material made unusual creative choices. (Either mistakes or less-than-optimal choices.)

Custom LUTs designed per project can work, but this goes back to the idea of a PowerGrade. The advantage of a PowerGrade is that you can specifically design it not to clip or crush an image but instead merely make more subtle changes, particularly those involving keys or power windows. The PowerGrade can also work within Resolve's 32-bit limits and not "break" the dynamic range of the image. I routinely use a few dozen PowerGrades just as time-savers, and I generally develop about a dozen custom looks in films depending on specific adjustments we have to repeat in similar scenes. Even then, they don't always work, particularly when the new scenes are shot at different times, on different cameras, or by different people.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

We have a solution for real time previewing of LUTs so you can see what effect they have before they're applied.

You can see more here:

https://www.facebook.com/11420534200...1425599285922/
    Denver Riddle