Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Taylor Swift " Bad Blood " shot on Weapon by Christopher Probst

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161

Hybrid View

  1.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #1 Taylor Swift " Bad Blood " shot on Weapon by Christopher Probst 
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,567
    Directed by Joseph Kahn / Color Timed by Dave Hussey @ CO3

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,375
    Thanks for posting Jarred! Truly honored to have been able to shoot this project on 2 Weapon cameras even though Jarred and team were scrambling to prepare for NAB. Thanks to Brent and Justin for the support and allowing me to short change the first 2 days of NAB with 2 less Weapon cameras to show off... BUT, I promised as a show of appreciation, I would post the incredible results this camera can achieve and bombard you all with some exclusive behind the scenes incites into the making of...

    Stay tuned!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Brad Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    757
    Amazing work as always Chris - really looking forward to some BTS info from you :)

    As an aside - black levels of the entire frame seem lifted (not just the image, but blacks surround the 2.39 aspect ratio) - is this intentional?

    EDIT: Here's what I'm seeing with a comparison shot to rule out a gamma or black level problem system wide on my end.

    Last edited by Brad Allen; 05-17-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    Brad Allen

    mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    1,375
    We intentionally went for softer blacks in the coloring. How that translated to the letterbox is beyond me, but I'm not displeased. Nicer on the female faces.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Brad Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Probst View Post
    We intentionally went for softer blacks in the coloring. How that translated to the letterbox is beyond me, but I'm not displeased. Nicer on the female faces.
    Good to know - yeah I think the blacks look great - just was surprised to see it extend to the letterboxing and wanted to make sure what I was seeing was accurate :)
    Brad Allen

    mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Brian Boyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Allen View Post
    Amazing work as always Chris - really looking forward to some BTS info from you :)

    As an aside - black levels of the entire frame seem lifted (not just the image, but blacks surround the 2.39 aspect ratio) - is this intentional?

    EDIT: Here's what I'm seeing with a comparison shot to rule out a gamma or black level problem system wide on my end.

    The RGB values for the black letterbox are 1,0,1 from a screen grab on my system, according to Photoshop...no matter what working color space I choose. My monitor is calibrated. I'm not sure why you're experiencing a lighter letterbox with that video and not others but I'm not having that problem.

    If I'm being honest, the color in your grab looks a little off on my screen, too. That one is a little harder to pin down because of the sheer number of variables.
    Last edited by Brian Boyer; 05-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

    www.harbonder.com


    Strand on Soundcloud
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7 nice one :-) 
    so many amazing girls and cindy crawford thx for the bets also amazing set design :-)

    cheers janosch
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Brad Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    The RGB values for the black letterbox are 1,0,1 from a screen grab on my system, according to Photoshop...no matter what working color space I choose. My monitor is calibrated. I'm not sure why you're experiencing a lighter letterbox with that video and not others but I'm not having that problem.

    If I'm being honest, the color in your grab looks a little off on my screen, too. That one is a little harder to pin down because of the sheer number of variables.
    Thanks for this Brian, it seems that the plot thickens. When Chris posted some of his BTS pics I thought something might have been off again because the blacks looked much deeper in the JPG's he posted than what I was seeing on my end. From what I can tell it seems that it's just Chrome doing weird stuff sporadically. It's fine for some videos and trailers and then others the blacks are just totally incorrect - I have no way of working out what's causing which. Some comparison pics below with IE11 which is getting the blacks correct each time. This is why targeting web delivery can be a nightmare, even aside from all the various displays and viewing conditions we have browsers doing their own funky business. Especially confusing when Google owns YouTube and Chrome...

    I'm guessing colors looking off are a function of the black levels - especially being that they are being pushed into the cooler tones, a lot of that is lost when chrome screws the blacks up and thus throws the entire color balance off in the process.

    Edit: also just noticed that Chrome blacks can tend to have some color shift (as exhibited in the Zedd screen cap). Though perhaps this could be attributed to IE using h.264 compressed variants vs Chrome using webm.


    Last edited by Brad Allen; 05-18-2015 at 05:09 PM.
    Brad Allen

    mob: +61 411 350 829
    web: unravel.com.au
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    Christopher is a machine. Some interesting cameos in there. As always exceptional cinematography.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Moderator Phil Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    11,485
    Sick costumes. This collaboration you got going Chris is freaking awesome.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles
    ________________________________
    phfx.com IMDB
    PHFX | tools

    2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

    Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts