Thread: Camera storage - Safe?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Camera storage - Safe? 
    Hey guys.

I have a studio - out in my backyard - secure building, where I shoot and keep all of my gear. Over the years I've had these brief moments of panic that someone would break in and ransack the gear.

So I've decided to buy a safe. Large enough for two Dragons, PL Primes, and PL zooms... Looks like a Gun Safe is probably the best bet in terms of size, security, and fire safety. Plus, I can lock my guns in there as well.

Looks like I've landed on this one: http://http://www.cabelas.ca/product/68172/cabelas-classic-safe-by-liberty in the 30" size.

Anyone else using something like this?
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Although I get the intention of this thread, I do worry about camera thieves who might be lurking, the kind who might look you up and wonder where that shed is exactly.
    Last edited by David Battistella; 05-17-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

My camera gear is very well secured at all times and not always in the same location so that is added security whether its locked up in a studio, office, or storage location. However, I would be a little uneasy about using a safe to keep my camera brains unless of course the safe was large enough for my pelican cases as some safes in order to provide fire protection do have a build up of moisture on the inside over time.
    Louis Maddalena
    New York Based.

CF Weapon, Epic-W, Leica Summicron-Cs, Schneider Xeons, available for rent nationwide.
    AKS, Lighting and Grip also available. PM for information.

New Studio: msquaredstudio.tv
    Follow me on Instagram @MSquared_Studio
    New Website: MaddalenaMedia.com

Moisture isn't going to be a problem - the safe would be locked overnight, but I shoot every day; so the door would be open from call to wrap 16 hours or more.
    C.S.C. Associate Member

Banned
    We all have very irregular routines, and most thefts target locations where there is no one around at specific times that can be easily observed.

I did the exact same thing. I bought a large gun safe 4 years ago and store all my lenses and cameras in there. I even bolted it to the ground. I'm sure if they really want it, they would steal it, but at least it makes it a lot harder.

Also, I just keep several large Silica bags at the bottom. I don't know if they do anything, but I've never had an issue with fungus or moisture, but I do live in LA, land of perfect weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Sung View Post
    I did the exact same thing. I bought a large gun safe 4 years ago and store all my lenses and cameras in there. I even bolted it to the ground. I'm sure if they really want it, they would steal it, but at least it makes it a lot harder.

Also, I just keep several large Silica bags at the bottom. I don't know if they do anything, but I've never had an issue with fungus or moisture, but I do live in LA, land of perfect weather.
    Is it safe...

Might consider recharginf=g the Silica or replacing...

Thank you very much

Fury
    Carbon Woven Stealth, RRX, KOWA ANAMORPHIC Full Production RENTALS

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?111020-FOR-RENT-CARBON-FIBER-DRAGON-SO-CAL-AREA-CON-U-S&highlight=Rent+Fury

949.689.5614 srgtfury@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Fury

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    I definitely recommend getting a big ass gun safe. For about half the price of a single 512gb mini-mag you can almost completely stop random theft and deter all but the most organized crimes. IMO that is completely worth it. Even if it just helps you sleep better at night.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    I definitely recommend getting a big ass gun safe. For about half the price of a single 512gb mini-mag you can almost completely stop random theft and deter all but the most organized crimes. IMO that is completely worth it. Even if it just helps you sleep better at night.

Pretty much what I thought - Everything is insured; but why risk the hassle of having to make a claim and replace everything?
    C.S.C. Associate Member

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Exactly. I would much rather just keep shooting :)
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."