Thread: IB/E Optics S35xFF - Super 35 to Full Frame Converter

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 IB/E Optics S35xFF - Super 35 to Full Frame Converter 
    At the Band Pro booth at NAB, they had a mock up of the S35xFF adapter, which converts Super 35mm lenses to full frame coverage. I thought for sure someone would have covered it by now, but there isn't a peep anywhere. I've got a data sheet which I'll scan in, but for now, here's just about all the info I have:

"The S35xFF converts S35 lenses to cover fullframe sensors (24x36mm). The converter is telecentric for new digital sensors.

It allows the use for most PL prime and zoom lenses (UltraPrime, MasterPrime, Summicron, Leica Summilux-C, Red Pro Primes, etc.) on fullframe cameras.

The converter is designed to mount on digital non mirror PL cameras including ARRI65.

The mechanical design is very robust with stainless steel PL Mounts and anodized aluminium mechanic. Decorative surface outside, flair minimized surfaces inside.

Technical Data

Max. image input ⌀ (mm) - 32.0

Max. sensor ⌀ (mm) - 46.6

Magnification - 1.45x

Max. input T-Stop - 2.0

Light drop (stops) - 1.1

Lens Mount - PL

Camera Mount - UMS PL* (*UMS FZ and E Mount only)

Diameter (mm) - 78.0

Length PL to PL (mm) - 20.8

Weight (kg) - 0.5"

So, you'll be limited to a T2.0 input (which is about T2.92 output), but all s35 glass without a deep protruding rear element should be usable with this adapter.

Reserved for scan.

Thanks Joshua!

and T2.9 on full frame is not bad...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

I think the Summilix-C are already FF, Covering 36x24mm, but the adapter sounds cool either way!
    -Eric
    Scarlet-X #293 => Epic-X #6588 => Dragonified => DSMC2 Gemini!

Quote Originally Posted by erichann View Post
    I think the Summilix-C are already FF, Covering 36x24mm, but the adapter sounds cool either way!
    How? They dont even cover Dragon sensor
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Most PL 1.4 tele-extenders for s-35 do this anyway because most if not all are rehoused Canon, Nikon or Kenko ones originally intended for FF35. Nothing new I suspect.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    At the Band Pro booth at NAB, they had a mock up of the S35xFF adapter, which converts Super 35mm lenses to full frame coverage. I thought for sure someone would have covered it by now, but there isn't a peep anywhere. I've got a data sheet which I'll scan in, but for now, here's just about all the info I have:

"The S35xFF converts S35 lenses to cover fullframe sensors (24x36mm). The converter is telecentric for new digital sensors.

It allows the use for most PL prime and zoom lenses (UltraPrime, MasterPrime, Summicron, Leica Summilux-C, Red Pro Primes, etc.) on fullframe cameras.

The converter is designed to mount on digital non mirror PL cameras including ARRI65.

The mechanical design is very robust with stainless steel PL Mounts and anodized aluminium mechanic. Decorative surface outside, flair minimized surfaces inside.

Technical Data

Max. image input ⌀ (mm) - 32.0

Max. sensor ⌀ (mm) - 46.6

Magnification - 1.45x

Max. input T-Stop - 2.0

Light drop (stops) - 1.1

Lens Mount - PL

Camera Mount - UMS PL* (*UMS FZ and E Mount only)

Diameter (mm) - 78.0

Length PL to PL (mm) - 20.8

Weight (kg) - 0.5"

So, you'll be limited to a T2.0 input (which is about T2.92 output), but all s35 glass without a deep protruding rear element should be usable with this adapter.
    What is the point of this? Why not just shoot on a 35mm sensor? Only Imax projects need that much resolution. The whole cool thing of a larger sensor is being able to use longer lenses for a wider filed of view, and this negates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    What is the point of this? Why not just shoot on a 35mm sensor? Only Imax projects need that much resolution. The whole cool thing of a larger sensor is being able to use longer lenses for a wider filed of view, and this negates that.
    I believe there will be a lot of people that will end up with the 8K sensor that will never work on a Imax project. This kind of device will help cross over those lenses that might just start to vignette and help them cover FF. Sounds a little like a extender but maybe there is more going on there than just 1.45 magnification of the image.
    I for one am looking forward to getting some of my wider lenses and finally looking at them in VV 8K or FF. And I would be bummed if I had say, a $15 or 20K lens that just nearly started to show or was a little bit not wide enough to cover the sensor, and still wanted to use it in my kit. It may not be for everyone but might be a good quick fix if you want it.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    I believe there will be a lot of people that will end up with the 8K sensor that will never work on a Imax project. This kind of device will help cross over those lenses that might just start to vignette and help them cover FF. Sounds a little like a extender but maybe there is more going on there than just 1.45 magnification of the image.
    I for one am looking forward to getting some of my wider lenses and finally looking at them in VV 8K or FF. And I would be bummed if I had say, a $15 or 20K lens that just nearly started to show or was a little bit not wide enough to cover the sensor, and still wanted to use it in my kit. It may not be for everyone but might be a good quick fix if you want it.
    if it doesn't sacrifice IQ this could be a good option to use high quality glass on a large sensor... and get all of the benefits of larger resolution and very wide FOV even with not so wide lenses, therefore less CA and light loss, distortion etc...

I'm always skeptical of optical converters but gonna be interesting to see the results when peeps test it out... ;-)

Interesting....
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv