Thread: 3 Red Dragons on feature film, one of them died.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 3 Red Dragons on feature film, one of them died. 
    Senior Member Christopher-lee dos Santo's Avatar
    Hi guys,

Kinda need some urgent help here.

We're in week one of production for a feature film here in South Africa, and one of our dragon cameras (which we own) has started misbehaving.

Please see attached pic below. The Camera has these red lines/streaks that run from top to bottom of the image. When pressing record, the camera gives an error and then shuts down.

If we let her warm up, she suddenly is ok again and we can film with her once she is at operating temperature.

Please advise.
    Last edited by Christopher-lee dos Santo; 05-11-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    -Christiopher-lee dos Santos
    www.dsfilmsentertainment.com
    Scarlet Dragon - Zeiss Compact Prime 2 Set

That would be a direct call to RED to get the best help. Hope you have done that.

I have. No response as of yet. I have since gone back a firmware version but still receive the same issues.
    Last edited by Christopher-lee dos Santo; 05-11-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Might be bad board I'd try factory resets and firmware roll backs with AC power and no accessories but plan for a rental backup
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Had the same problem just after receiving my Dragon except the lines were green. At first it did the same thing, the lines would disappear once the camera came upto temperature. In under a day the lines were permanently there. Unfortunately the camera had to go back first to red Europe and then to Irvine. I believe it took just over a month to get the camera back. Red were very good at helping me out when required.

This looks like a call to RED and then a call to FEDEX. The good thing is RED is awesome about being as helpful as possible in these situations.

File a support ticket with log file, etc.
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

So Red Engineers have responded to my support ticket and log file and it looks like I need to send this camera back to RED. The sad thing is, I bought this camera for this specific feature film I am directing/producing and on the second day of shooting, it breaks.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher-lee dos Santo View Post
    So Red Engineers have responded to my support ticket and log file and it looks like I need to send this camera back to RED. The sad thing is, I bought this camera for this specific feature film I am directing/producing and on the second day of shooting, it breaks.
    Unfortunately, with any mission-critical piece of gear like a camera, you have to have backups -- or at least, have the ability to rent or borrow a backup in the event of an emergency.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Banned
    Red customer service is so good, you can hear it's good over and over again, but you'll still be astounded by just HOW good the first time you call on them. Don't worry.

Yes I can testify to Red's excellence in situations like this.... had a similar issue... red line on over exposure.... fortunately it happened during a test and not the real job. In my case they sent down a replacement camera from Pinewood in 2 hours... it was absolutely outstanding customer service. However these little bugs here and there are adding to a reputation that Reds can be touchy... I hope Weapon will solve some of these reliability issues. I love Red... Dragon in particular but I've had to send the Camera back for repairs 3 times since November.... I completely understand that all technology can have issues.... I hope Weapon's design is more durable.
    Last edited by NOSA OBAYIUWANA; 05-11-2015 at 08:41 PM.