Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: $101,800.00 for basic 8K package

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 $101,800.00 for basic 8K package 
    I’m going to assume for a NEW CLIENT of the “Epic Dragon Weapon/Stealth Camera” in an 8K Carbon Fiber configuration, fully loaded, ready to go is $67,500.00 in 6K + $20,000.00 for 8K = for a total of $87,500.00 when the 8K CF is release at the end of 2015 or start of 2016, meanwhile we wait with the 6K Carbon Fiber Camera. I want thank Phil Holland’s a photo that I use for reference.

Ok $87,500.00 for the 8K camera; plus 1T Mini-Magazine at $3,900.00 (I would actually need more); WEAPON Touch 7" LCD for $2,950.00; $1,750.00 which includes a 3.5mm microphone-jack, headphone jack, HDMI out, HD-SDI out, CTRL, SYNC, DC in; a REDVOLT XL slot, 12V DC IN, 2x 12V 3.8A Aux ports, also trickle charges attached batteries at $1,150.00; WEAPON REDVOLT XL Module at $1,150.00 for one (we would need more); the WEAPON Top Handle for $550.00; include at no additional cost is the Side SSD Module and MG PL Mount; Additional warranty protection $2,850. This protection plan extends the standard 2-year warranty by 2 years (4 years total); for a grand total of $101,800.00. There is no lens, or Matt-Box included in the package, or base plate.

This is what I got from the information printed for the Camera as is set up above; I’m not sure if it’s right or not, so pleases advice, anyone can chime in. Thank you!

Humberto Rivera

Humberto the package already includes media and lcd, etc. Just look on the included tab on this page:

http://www.red.com/store/products/we...ackage-deposit

OK you can subtract any of these items from my computation from the $67,500.00.
    1 WEAPON (Woven CF) BRAIN w/ Integrated Media Bay
    1 WEAPON Sidekick (Woven CF)
    1 WEAPON Base Expander
    1 WEAPON REDVOLT XL Module
    1 REDVOLT Charger (Quad)
    2 REDVOLT XL
    1 WEAPON RED Touch 7.0" LCD
    2 RED MINI-MAG (512GB)
    2 RED MINI-MAG (1TB)
    1 RED MINI-MAG Station
    1 WEAPON Top Handle
    1 DMSC Quick Release Platform Pack
    1 DSMC Mounting Plate
    1 WEAPON Package Case
    1 2-Year Standard Warranty
    1 AC POWER ADAPTOR (DSMC)
    1 DSMC Mg PL Mount (Captive)
    1 RED MINI-MAG Case (4-Pack)

Humberto Rivera

Quote Originally Posted by Samir Patel View Post
    Humberto the package already includes media and lcd, etc. Just look on the included tab on this page:

http://www.red.com/store/products/we...ackage-deposit
    I think Humberto is saying what the Weapon 8K will sell for after the NAB incentives expire. He's assuming (as do I) that the included goodies are part of a NAB special, not forever.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #5  
    Not true. The new camera package is not dependent on NAB. But, you won't get the extra $5000 new camera accessory credit or the option to go to 8K sensor all-in for $10,000 once those offers expire.

Or you could just rent it when you need it and not blow $102K at one time. Just a thought. I know of many, many crews that just rent a camera a day or two a week for commercials, or get a package deal for 7-8 weeks for a feature, and there are lots of good rental/lease deals out there.

You should thoroughly explore the sobering realities and cost of doing post in 8K before planning to shoot in 8K. I know of several producers who were quite surprised at how costly and time-consuming it was just to do a full 4K end-to-end workflow for certain projects, particularly when there were tight budgets and deadlines involved.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Is the 8K sensor the same as the Dragon sensor, but larger? Same sensitivity and DR? Or are they reworking the whole sensor?
    Director / Photographer / Designer
    www.work.charlesbergquist.com
    www.everyday.charlesbergquist.com

Weapon MONSTRO 8K VV
    Phantom Flex4K 128GB

Los Angeles, California

The real consideration is not the "cost" of the camera, rather the ROI. Got a friend who won't even think of going Dragon not to mention Weapon. Why? The Epic is a fat cash cow for him. The greater regret I have about Red product t is that I never upgraded my Scarlet to Epic MX when Red 1st introduced the program. Scarlet (in my market) has such a low ROI, heck I've even been on productions where I was given an Epic MX to use just because the producers "believe" it produces better picture. Not that they even need any sort of high frames, all 24fps. Its my market where I exist. Now I got an Epic Dragon, and guess what? Producers and music video directors won't even hire! Why? they are afraid 6k pipeline would create post bottle neck with current post hardware, f*** $%&t! Then i tell them, shoot 4k or 5k on Dragon, but you know how the human mind wworks, most rather play safe and go with something they've used well before.
    My friend's Epic MX rents 5 times as faster than my Epic Dragon.....LMAO. I even learned of a production that rented Epic Dragon (for 3weeks) only to return it after the 1st day of shoot requesting Epic MX from the rental house.
    So, the bitter truth, as much as the product is important, the market is king! If you can guarantee a healthy ROI on your investment, then the price isn't the most disturbing thing otherwise even if Weapon is selling for $10k, if you can't guarantee a healthy ROI then its not going be worth it for you
    Scarlet MX
    2 RAVENs
    2 GEMINI
    MONSTRO

Let’s take another look at a NEW BUYER of the “Red Epic 8K Dragon Weapon/Stealth Camera” WHEN IT’S AVAILABLE. By the way the “Red 8K Camera” will be by far the best Camera in the Market, and its followers have been struggling, and I do mean struggling for ever to keep up with Red, and they continue to do so, I just wanted to STATE MY OPINON! I would politely say to all those people that have a complaint about the price, for whatever their reasons, to take it down a few notches, because Arri or Sony would not ever do the same thing, and with a cameras far more expensive than Red.

Now the “Red Epic 6K Dragon Weapon/Stealth Camera” package contains the following; 1 WEAPON (Woven CF) BRAIN w/ Integrated Media Bay; 1 WEAPON Sidekick (Woven CF); 1 WEAPON Base Expander; 1 WEAPON REDVOLT XL Module; 1 REDVOLT Charger (Quad); 2 REDVOLT XL; 1 WEAPON RED Touch 7.0" LCD; 2 RED MINI-MAG (512GB); 2 RED MINI-MAG (1TB); 1 RED MINI-MAG Station; 1 WEAPON Top Handle; 1 DMSC Quick Release Platform Pack; 1 DSMC Mounting Plate; 1 WEAPON Package Case; 1 Two-Year Standard Warranty; 1 AC POWER ADAPTOR (DSMC); 1 DSMC Mg PL Mount (Captive); 1 RED MINI-MAG Case (4-Pack) This the entire Package for $67,500.00 + $20,0000.00 for the Red Upgrade to 8K = $87,500.00.

IT DOES NOT CONTAIN a View finder so let’s add what the old one cost of one; it does not include a remote means of follow focus like The FIZ or some other method of your choice, that’s difficult but let’s just for the sake of a low number for Preston Cinema Systems (just for calculating the NUMBER IS NOT TRUE) put down $12,000.00; or any other company such as Element Technical; Additionally a warranty protection for $2,850. This protection plan extends the standard 2-year warranty by 2 years (4 years total).

There are many more things that depending on your needs you might want to add, like lenses, but I can say THAT IN MY OPINION “Red Epic 8K Dragon Weapon/Stealth Camera” will be somewhere in the vicinity to buy at $100,000.00 to $150,000.00 (or rent) and that’s not bad for a Camera that can do so much, and by the way it’s far less than the same thing on an Arri or Sony Camera. There are DIFFERENT NEED for each one of you lessening to this, so “MILLAGE MAY VARY” on how you drive. The Storm will pass and sometime down the road things will be back to normal, and we will forget all this things said about the Price, BUT JUST LET ME SAY, you people with credit coming from whatever program, are getting a GOOD DEAL! I wonder if when PANAVISION dominated the Camera & Lenses scene with “Feature Film Productions” with its endless rolls of 35 mm Film Stock, development, and Scanning, and Independents using 16 mm Color Negative if there was so much Greif. Remember that all prices are “Ball Park” nothing is written in stone, BUT IN MY OPINION they relatively correct.

Humberto Rivera
    Attached Images

I just wanted to point out a nice article on Red 8K on Definition Magazine; NAB Wrap up Issue;

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...6l3OVVX6e8M%3D

Humberto Rivera