Thread: Built-In ND's - Why doesn't Weapon have them?

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Olson View Post
    I thought of this too, but then I realized they are not fully swappable mounts. They are just adaptable mounts.
    And the point is?....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    This is just ridiculous- why would RED (or any good business for that matter) want to move away from ANY marked they hold? First rule of business- EXPAND- not contract!!!
    Well it's not the only rule. Sometimes increased specialization means higher profits, especially when low end customers create negative perception and a higher likelyhood of ugly work with cameras, are a huge support headache, and increasingly are being offered cheapo alternatives that they consider "good enough" for a lower standard (like from BM) so the market itself is shrinking along with its potential profit margins.

As you know, every engineering decision is a compromise between various factors. You can't please everyone with a camera, and must aim for a central target of user type, realizing that others can still benefit, but will not get exactly what they need.

But it's also perception.

You will never see Prada selling a new line to Payless to expand their business, or Disney opening cheaper new theme parks that look like Six Flags (actually Disney is abandoning the low end market in North America to focus on a premium experience for a mostly upper middle class clientele), and Armani learned from Exchange that not all expansion is good expansion.

Banned
    We'll have wireless FF for Alexa Mini for 1/5th of that haha
    Are you working on an Alexa Birger solution? That's exciting news.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New
    You will never see Prada selling a new line to Payless to expand their business
    I think Kohls buying Juicy is a case study of how a perceived high end brand can be devalued overnight.

Well RED did not buy any camera brand- they created their own product for that marked. I think it did really well for a few reasons:
    Asics/sensors deemed not suitable for Epic could be recycled. Also even if Scarlet did not make much profit the accessories necessary for it to work did. I think Scarlet bodies did financially very well on their own. Also this market is much broader so the brand awareness gained tremendously. Not to mention all the upgrade programs that brought cash flow (up front I must say- huge plus) and got scarleteers switch to epics. I could go on but you get the picture...Scarlet was a big boost for the brand on many levels and could remain very precious- maybe not exactly the same way but with a little spin...... ;-) and we all know who the real spin master is hahaha

Banned
    Well RED did not buy any camera brand- they created their own product for that marked. I think it did really well for a few reasons:
    Asics/sensors deemed not suitable for Epic could be recycled. Also even if Scarlet did not make much profit the accessories necessary for it to work did. I think Scarlet bodies did financially very well on their own. Also this market is much broader so the brand awareness gained tremendously. Not to mention all the upgrade programs that brought cash flow (up front I must say- huge plus) and got scarleteers switch to epics. I could go on but you get the picture...Scarlet was a big boost for the brand on many levels and could remain very precious- maybe not exactly the same way but with a little spin...... ;-) and we all know who the real spin master is hahaha
    Maybe, but I see the middle class of the rental market here disappearing. You have high end - Epic, Alexa, F55, renting for OK rates, and added as a charge to your day rate if you bring your own camera - then "no end low end" where people show up with their gear and include it in their day rate of $300 a day or often less - here we have DSLRs, all BM cams. Scarlet is often seen in that realm, and so I agree if Red is thinking that market is disappearing. Plus it is fed simultaneously by so many awesome used camera sources now like RedOnes, F35s, the list is long.

People who want the very best will pay whatever is necessary to get it - that's where your real margins are, whether as a camera maker or a DP. It's hard to make a living in the middle ground without massive numbers.

And whether Red created their own brand or bought it, the rules of branding still apply. If you are are perceived as low end, it puts a ceiling on what price you can fetch for any model in your lineup. No one would buy a 100K Hyundai, no matter how great a car it might be.

I know that for Epic owners like yourself Scarlet is a curse. But for Red it's been a blessing... oh the compromises...;-)