Thread: Built-In ND's - Why doesn't Weapon have them?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Built-In ND's - Why doesn't Weapon have them? 
    as the title says... Why doesn't Weapon have built-in ND filters like the Alexa Mini?
    Rory Hinds
    World Explorer
    Mine Films

http://www.minefilms.com

VANCOUVER, BC CANADA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography / Drone Pilot /
    Writer / Director / VFX / Grading & Finishing

Quote Originally Posted by roryhinds View Post
    as the title says... Why doesn't Weapon have built-in ND filters like the Alexa Mini?
    The Motion Mount still fits. Great accessory for multiple situations.

The motion mount causes a lose of about a stop. That makes me wonder would built in ND cause any type of loss in the cameras integrity.
    "As long as I can remember I feel I have had this great creative and spiritual force within me that is greater than faith, greater than ambition, greater than confidence, greater than determination, greater than vision. It is all these combined. My brain becomes magnetized with this dominating force which I hold in my hand."

Bruce Lee

Weapon Monstro #0218
    Weapon Helium #0137

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Dones View Post
    That makes me wonder would built in ND cause any type of loss in the cameras integrity.
    In a word? No.

I agree with you 100 %
    I'm surprise we still don't have it this is one of the most requested futures on weapon wish forum
    I made this comment 1 month ago
    The mini alexa as carbon fiber body
    ND and wireless follow focus built into it for 35 K
    In my personal opinion that's a bargain
    The CF weapon beside resolution doesn't match up and it's 50k with less futures

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Most likely there's no room to fit one in if you want to keep user replaceable OLPFs, the existing replaceable mounts, and still have short enough flange depth for existing mounts like Leica M. Not to mention, you would need to adjust the FFD for the rear ND system and use a clear filter as a placeholder when no ND is in. I believe current designs for such filter systems have the ND filter wheel right in front of the OLPF for maximum lens compatibility. So you would first have to remove the complex ND filter assembly to get to the OLPF. The Alexa drop in IRNDs are the only ones I can think of where this is not the case. But they only have to deal with the relatively long FFD of the PL mount. I could see someone designing a new PL mount with mechanical ND filters built in, but that would probably make some lenses like the Optimo DP zooms no longer fit.

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    I supposed Red could redesign the user replaceable OLPFs to work like the Panavision rear filter slot on their film cameras, but that would be a big deal and introduce new problems of dust and particulate getting on the sensor itself.

They should add them, frustrated they still don't have such a great feature that I've had on every video camera except my red.
    Epic W
    Brian Pascale

RED is targeting the Feature Film market where you have a matte box and a crew of 3 on the camera. The elimination of the Side Handle (therefore making Weapon a mounted camera - not handheld) and the lack of LightRoom support suggest to me they are moving away from all things that are small potatoes. Internal ND's are a Doc / ENG style feature - not RED's target market
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

One of the things I love about my C500 is the built in NDs to a point. What I love a lot more is that my Dragons can take a Leica m mount. Especially going to 8k that mount is going to open up a huge array of legacy lenses that the Canon or Arri will never be able to use partially because of the internal NDs. I find that I can manually adjust a variable ND when handholding my Dragon faster than I can click thru the NDs on the C500 and with more precision.

i think a major reason Arri is doing it in the mini is cuz the camera is designed to go in lots of rigs, handheld, steadicam, crane, underwater, drone, etc.... so losing the weight of a matte box and filters is def the way to go i think in certain applications, i don't think it has anything to do with embracing a doc or prosumer market. i think its about having ergonomics designed for light weight usage when necessary, but this whole Leica and zoom thing does pose a redesign problem. they would have clear ones so not losing light or dirtying the sensor is fine, plus sensor has a cover anyway. i think it would be great if red did this and i have to admit i kind of do want a mini myself, not specifically for the included NDs but it sure doesn't hurt. mostly cuz i want to embrace the Arri fan boy marketplace...
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com