Thread: Can anyone repair a smashed 7" Touch monitor?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Can anyone repair a smashed 7" Touch monitor? 
    I got a quote from RED, higher than I was hoping $1500, is there anyone else can replace the glass/touchscreen on one of these? I'm in l.a.
    I contacted OPITEK, but they told me they can't get the screens any longer. any thoughts?

Not sure. But I did notice that the screen is LG.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Depending how attached to touch control you are........for less money with way more features and on board Prores 4444 XQ try the PIX e5 . The price of Red screens at the moment is ridiculous.

I've been in the same boat for quite a while, with my 5" touch. Quoted at least $900 for repair. There has to be someone out there that can fix these screens. All touch function and everything else still works fine, just a large crack and a couple of sharp edges (really bad deal for touch screen) in the middle of the screen.
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

http://www.acsindustrial.com/touch-s...tor-repair.php
    I did find this company a while back and have been meaning to give them a call and see if that is a possibility. If I do so, I will post the outcome.

Replacement touch screens or the separate sensor layer may be have-able at cheap prices. My experience with the SI2K was that although I was able to source panels for my existing monitors, they required a driver update to make them work and map correctly. For me that was as easy as downloading the driver, then installing the update version in the camera-recorder's Windows XPe operating system. Whilst stripped down and customised, it nevertheless operates as a Windows computer

Because the RED camera family has a proprietory operating system, third party repairs may be unsuccessful if there is a driver incompatability issue. A third party repairer will likely not have the ability to tamper with RED's operating system code. Any warranty which may still apply to your camera may sprout wings if anyone attempts to dig around in the operating system and something goes "vvvt" because the operating system fails to protect it.

My sense is that if you could afford to commit to the RED, which I can't, then you should go that extra step and use the approved scheme of repair/maintenance.

One of my home repairs was not 100% successful. There remains an internittant dry-joint somewhere which has so far been successful in escape and evasion. There is a judgement call to be made whether furthur investigation is worth the risk of introducing other faults. I have left it be for the time being.

I think at this point, being quoted $900 to repair the screen, when I could buy one right now for $1200, it is safe to say that the warranty will not cover this monitor.

I used to repair TVs.
    In the consumer world, it was always less expensive to buy a new TV than to repair a broken screen.
    Continuously dropping prices guaranteed this cycle.
    By the way, it was mostly guys throwing beer cans at their screens when their team lost that caused the broken screens.
    Now a professional touch screen monitor? That's another story.
    Because of the high value of monitors, it may very well be more economical to repair than to replace.

It's really not that complicated to fix, I just replaced a 5" and a 7. I repair them for a fraction of what red charges. Of course the red warranty will be voided for it but most just buy a new one anyway given the price of repair. The backlights are what stops most people but it's completely do-able. pm if interested

Hi, taking this post back from the deep, could you please let me know how to reapir a lcd touch screen of a 47 screen? is the lcd that i have to change, thanks