Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: For The Indies / Our Scarlet customers...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Thanks Jarred!

I'm sorry to say this, but $19.5K is just too much for me. I love my dragon and will continue to use it and rent it as much as I can, but I can't swing that much coin. I'm sure it will still be in use 2 years from now, and along with whatever camera platform I move to in the future.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Atlas Orion Anamorphic lenses PL Mount 40, 65,100
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S - Alexa Mini
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

Having seen your posts a few weeks back that Weapon was an addition to the line-up not a replacement for Epic or Scarlet, I was not nervous that the "low end" was being "abandoned." Though of course I'm glad to hear you reaffirm it.

The only thing that DOES make me nervous (for you guys, as much as for the customers, because as you say R&D costs and volume are big issues in a market this small) is having two separate lines of modules. I'm really looking forward to seeing that addressed. Maybe an Epic Dragon 1.1 and Scarlet Dragon 1.1 which are identical except for the new module connector (and maybe they should also have the new cable-less monitor ports so you won't have to build two sets of monitors )? Maybe some new version of the +1 module which also adapts to the new module connector?

Bravo, Mister Land!!!

The foreword from Jarred was appropriate and timely. The Weapon is an aggressive initiative and priced accordingly. But zooming out a bit, this type of market leadership is RED's DNA. RED is still a young company compared to the other camera manufacturers. So they have to be careful, footing has to be sure. Do we really want to see RED collapse from an implosion? Some owners will have to stand down on the upgrade, albeit unfortunate and with gritted teeth, but no harm no foul, no conspiracy or indictment. Its a knuckle game, from the top with the RED inner circle all the way to the bottom to every RED user trying to make it happen.

RED has yet to gimp on any camera product. There have been some misses accessory wise, but RED has always given the correct amount of energy and consideration to their cameras. Still alot of business out here, alot more shooting thats gotta be done. Its not going away. The RED ecosystem now has 3rd party module support, better regional camera support, bigtime directors endorsing and actively using RED cameras, Prores (a step in the right direction), solid leadership with Jarred (no wishy washy suit and tie guy), big daddy Jim (pretending to be retired) and Graeme (the silent giant). Very little downside, very little.

I must say i was rather underwealmed with the release of the weapon. I am currently an mx owner. I love the camera. I love reds customer service and attention to detail.

I like the weapon i think it fills alot of needs that many high end users need. Although i am not a high-end user. I am not shooting large budget big production projects. I also feel alot of red users are not. To me what has made this camera so special is the ability to take the upmost quality and put in the hands of the indie film maker. I see perfectly clear why red would want to branch out to the highend market and directly compete with arri. I just hope they do not abandon those that are not able to justify the price. My epic mx is a great camera and i will continue to shoot with it for years to come. I just hope red wont forget us and give us the new core technology but in the base line version. I dont need prores and all of the big procution workflow solutions. I need the striped down version. But i dont want to see it be as stripped down as the scarlet. I would love to see red have two versions of there highend cameras. One the luxury model with every bell and whistle. And then the other same sensor same frame rates just no need for all the extra things that not everyone uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Callaghan View Post
    I would love to see red have two versions of there highend cameras. One the luxury model with every bell and whistle. And then the other same sensor same frame rates just no need for all the extra things that not everyone uses.
    Kind of like Epic and Weapon Dragon?

:)

Seriously though. What you described is exactly what Weapon is all about. It's a full force production camera. A powerful one at that. It's targeted towards users who need those extra features because there are certain areas of the industry that are "asking for more and more" from our cameras. Weapon is giving that "more" and here we are.

Jarred stated that if you are a Dragon owner you will have an upgrade path in the future to new tech. We don't know what that will cost or when, but RED is paying attention to everybodies wants and needs.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

"And there is definitely a future for Scarlet Dragon... you just don't know about it yet and it is not anywhere near. "

Thanks for the post Jarred. I own a Scarlet mx and love my camera. Hopefully one day soon I can upgrade to Scarlet D! This just made me even more motivated to try and make that move. Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Kelly View Post
    "And there is definitely a future for Scarlet Dragon... you just don't know about it yet and it is not anywhere near. "

Thanks for the post Jarred. I own a Scarlet mx and love my camera. Hopefully one day soon I can upgrade to Scarlet D! This just made me even more motivated to try and make that move. Thanks man.
    Do you not have to upgrade to Dragon by June and loose the upgrade option completely?

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Isn't Weapon Magnesium and Weapon Carbon just high end versions of Scarlet Dragon and Epic Dragon.
    There are similarities to them both.

Weapon Carbon is like Epic Dragon; the high end processing power to enable the best capabilities of the Dragon sensor.
    Weapon Magnesium is like Scarlet Dragon; the same kind of body with the same kind of specs up to a point of certain capabilities not available because of the lower computing power.

Isn't it all just a four part ladder for the cameras?

1. Weapon Carbon = The best camera available with 8K possibilities.
    2. Weapon Magnesium = Lower computing power but with the same capabilities when on the same settings as Weapon Carbon.
    3. Epic Dragon = Lower computing power than Weapon Magnesium but with the same capabilities on the same settings as Weapon Magnesium.
    4. Scarlet Dragon = Lower computing power than Epic Dragon, but with the same capabilities as Epic Dragon on the same settings.

I don't see the problem with this lineup. Scarlet Dragon is no way near Weapon Carbon and is more close to Epic Dragon. Epic Dragon is more close to Weapon Magnesium than Weapon Carbon and so on.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600