Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New RED Viewfinder

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Agree and I know/feel where you are coming from. There's some pretty incredible "values" out there in EVF-land, but locking critical focus (my main concern) has been "iffy" on most products available today.

I'm really, really happy with the color and picture on the newer RED 7.0" LCD Touch however. That's a freaking joy to use, operate, and pull from. They did real good there.
    Phil,
    Did you ever complain about a Red product?

Is there an official line on this new EVF? At NAB was it an actual working prototype? Did anyone get an eyeball into it? Or was Red making a statement on intention that intends to build a new EVF? Has there been any announcement or hint on availability and pricing? So many questions.
    Tom Gleeson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I have to agree with Jeff, no offense to RED, but a truly great EVF for high resolution digital capture - from any manufacturer - is an unfulfilled need. The latest Zacuto Gratical has embedded LUTs for popular cameras that improve color accuracy, which improves perceived resolution and makes them much more useful for making decisions on set.

Maybe I'm crazy, but why couldn't RED (or whomever) "borrow" some tech from the mobile phone world and offer a 2160P 5-9" display with decent off axis, high ambient light viewing. Then add a custom "flip down" eyepiece/magnifier with diopter and you've got a 2 in 1 solution (this has been done by others and with well matched optics it should be tight). Presumably any screen from the mobile world would have touch input capability, but to avoid lots of finger grease on the display I'd opt to use the sidekick/foolcontrol whenever possible.

Just asking'

Cheers - #19
    The new Small HD EVF is just as good - same resolution, same smooth image rendition - and way cheaper.

4. #74 Still too many questions 
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    The new Small HD EVF is just as good - same resolution, same smooth image rendition - and way cheaper.

Robert,

What are you comparing the Small HD EVF too? The original Red Bomb LCD EVF or OLED version or to something else? Or did you manage to get an eyeball into the new Red EVF?
    Tom Gleeson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Robert,

What are you comparing the Small HD EVF too? The original Red Bomb LCD EVF or OLED version or to something else? Or did you manage to get an eyeball into the new Red EVF?
    Was comparing to new Zacuto - which looks exactly the same as new Small HD EVF. Both are excellent, are in fact the best EVFs I have ever seen on any camera. But, both look exactly the same in terms of image quality, so why pay so much more for Zacuto becomes a very good question.

I have the Bomb LCOS - and weird motion artifacts can be an issue, as is not altogether super high resolution, but it's not bad, and it's very small and light and does not require its own power. Downside is unless you have the right somewhat expensive module, you must first disconnect the touch screen (while Small HD uses the HDMI or HD SDI port) and that +1 module hogs the HDMI port, which we use 100% of the time for remote video transmission.

I have not seen the new Red EVF from Red, and it's likely great, but it still leaves you with the single monitor output on Epics problem (which if I remember correctly has been addressed on Weapon).

I never pull my own focus, never do any shoulder shooting, and we always have large screens on set, so really Red's Bomb is good enough for me for now, for the few times it's a better solution than the touch monitor for on-board framing (again, your own situation may be very different). That said, I'm considering buying the Small HD EVF for our ACs, because it can work with a Parralinx or Nyrius. I'll ask them if they would like that.

Looks good
    Thanks for sharing.
    Daniel Shojaei
    CEO - Ontario Camera Rentals Toronto
    www.ontariocamera.com
    http://ontariocamera.com/product/red...ntals-toronto/

when this is coming out? need an evf !
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Strange RED dont give much attention to monitoring when arri even developed an OVF.

We need a 2k resolution with optically variable field of view to be able to make our job.
    I mean not all Epics are mounted on a crane or a steady or have "video cities" with large screen.
    Framing the traditional way with op eye on the camera eyepiece is important.

If we have to frame for 4k more detail and immersion is important.

Another feature is magnify while shooting. This is also important to get focus right when filming interviews where the person can lean forth and back for example.

Pat

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    To be fair to Red, Arri didn't have to develop a new optical viewfinder for the Alexa Studio, they just adapted their existing Arricam viewfinder system, glow masks, and ground glasses. It's a lot harder and more expensive to develop precision optics and mechanics from scratch than electronics and software. I also much prefer to operate with an eyepiece while shooting, but realistically I think the days of the mirror reflex viewfinder are pretty much over. And I say this as someone who owns a Moviecam SL, Canon Scoopic 16M, Hasselblad 501c, and Pentax MX.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    I finally got a chance to put my eye into the new EVF and I must say I was quite impressed with it. Much larger image than bomb, smooth shadows, infinity optic ans super nice design were you can remove the cableless rotating piece and reveal a regular lemo connector to plug your cable in... Well done !
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram