Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New RED Viewfinder

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Because wearing a ridiculous circus rig is seriously limiting as far as mobility and camera placement. Using an easy rig locks you into one way of shooting and makes moving through doors or tight spaces a giant pain in the ass. It basically takes away all of the benefits of shooting hand held and makes you look like a giant dork. Plus all of the girls make fun of you. And it's incredibly dumb. And you look like a dork. And if you think using an easy rig is a good solution to shooting hand held, you don't know what good hand held is. Then there is the whole dork thing. But I digress.........you look like a dork.........
    I disagree, I shot in Yorkville (fancy shopping area in Toronto) once with an easy rig, and the amount of affluent cougars that wanted to talk to me was astounding. Easy rig is awesome for some things, shooting handheld all day (not shoulder mounted... that's boring) is hard, not too many people can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    Because wearing a ridiculous circus rig is seriously limiting as far as mobility and camera placement. Using an easy rig locks you into one way of shooting and makes moving through doors or tight spaces a giant pain in the ass. It basically takes away all of the benefits of shooting hand held and makes you look like a giant dork. Plus all of the girls make fun of you. And it's incredibly dumb. And you look like a dork. And if you think using an easy rig is a good solution to shooting hand held, you don't know what good hand held is. Then there is the whole dork thing. But I digress.........you look like a dork.........
    Nick, I'm getting the feeling you think it's dorky. Am I reading that right?
    Isaac Marchionna
    DART Design
    DRAGON-X 03914

Not that there's anything wrong with that......lots of dorks go on to live mostly productive lives. I did once see a salty old crew of old timers like me take down a camera op wearing an easy rig and strip the flesh from his bones with old soup can lids screaming "Kill him! He insults our profession and diminishes all of us! Is nothing holy!? Save his brain!". But hey, do what you want. Why get good at hand held and you know, be in shape when you can hang a camera off a coat rack strapped to your back. I mean hey, you can hang your slurpy from that too. I'm just saying.....

Nick

There are just as many reasons to position the viewfinder at the back of the camera.
    Working off a dolly, coupled with a leveling arm, extreme moves or in a really tight location for example.

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haase View Post
    The problem with this position of eyepiece is that it creates a very front heavy handheld camera. On the epic I currently use a third party accessory to move the eyepiece as far forward as possible so that it actually hits the matte box and cannot move any further forward. This places the body squarely on the shoulder and creates a very well balanced camera on the shoulder. The no wires thing is cool for sure but it seems like it's just in the wrong place for a balanced camera.

You can do that... If you look at the pivot point in the middle fo that connector of the EVF, I made that our actual standard lemo connector. So you can take the EVF off the "mount" and put a standard monitor Lemo cable between the two pieces and have it anywhere you want. That little square thing is a 1/4-20 plate that you can put on multiple sides of the EVF to mount to a Noga arm etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You can do that... If you look at the pivot point in the middle fo that connector of the EVF, I made that our actual standard lemo connector. So you can take the EVF off the "mount" and put a standard monitor Lemo cable between the two pieces and have it anywhere you want. That little square thing is a 1/4-20 plate that you can put on multiple sides of the EVF to mount to a Noga arm etc.
    That's cool!
    Steadicam Operator
    Avid Certified Instructor: Media Composer & Pro Tools
    Apple Certified Trainer: FCP & FCX

Technology & Resources Manager
    Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema at Steiner Studios
    http://feirstein.brooklyn.cuny.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post

Any chance of a "smart" extension arm so that we can remain cable-free while gaining a greater range of placement?

Wow that cool. i might prefer that for my Lemo monitor then the other adapter, i can move it around. Great work guys.

Jacob
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Boothby View Post
    Any chance of a "smart" extension arm so that we can remain cable-free while gaining a greater range of placement?
    That sounds just like something Element Technica would make ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Marchionna View Post
    Seriously. The AMIRA EVF has become admired for a reason. Frankly the Alexa needs an EVF overhaul and just adapt the Amira EVF to the Alexa. Done. Plus menu controls on that are lovely.
    I did a full (put my eye and scrutinize heavily) hands on review of every eyepiece at NAB. The winner in clarity was the Zacuto Gratical...hands down. The second best was the new Black Magic EVF, which although sported more resolution was none-the-less only about 85% as sharp as the Zacuto. Everything else looked blurry comparatively, especially the Amira EVF, which was really surprising.
    Paul Schneider
    Concrete + Clay
    3450 Cahuenga Blvd. W. Suite 503
    Los Angeles, CA 9068
    t:310.888.2806
    concreteandclay.com

twitter: @lettershome