Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Will RED offer new SENSORS for EPIC-X camera BODIES in the future?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Will RED offer new SENSORS for EPIC-X camera BODIES in the future? 
    Will RED offer new SENSORS for my EPIC-X camera BODY in the future?

I ask because I already upgraded my EPIC-X camera BODY to have the DRAGON sensor in it, but want
    to know if in the future NEW and BETTER sensors from RED will be offered by RED to go into my EPIC-X camera BODY?

I am not looking to know about upgrading my EPIC-X camera BODY to another more advanced body like the WEAPON.

ALSO..... if I upgrade to a WEAPON MAGNESIUM Camera BODY, will RED offer new S35 size (not VistaVision) SENSORS
    that are better than DRAGON for the WEAPON MAGNESIUM Camera BODY in the future?

It would be nice to know this info now, because I'm not sure I would pay to upgrade to a WEAPON Magnesium body
    if it is only the WEAPON Carbon Fiber BODY that will have new sensor upgrade options.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

There's a debate going on here about a Dragon to Weapon body/tech move ('lite version) http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...vations/page14

My view is the Epic/Dragon form factor is now EOL. How long RED keep the Epic/Dragon body, it's hard to say... but (in my opinion) there'll be zero chance of any new sensor inside the old body, as all RED tech will be based on the new components of the Weapon.

My hope for Weapon was a move to a new body (with more integrated peripherals) - not Prores etc. It seems that 'might' happen (fingers crossed) ad this would be a way for RED to get us all over to the Weapon eco system and body... without the expense of everyone going full-on Weapon.

This way, most will have new Weapon bodies - and we'll all be able to upgrade (or not) to new sensors/configurations during the Weapon lifespan (from experience that'll be 3-5 years, I'd presume).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy White View Post
    There's a debate going on here about a Dragon to Weapon body/tech move ('lite version) http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...vations/page14

My view is the Epic/Dragon form factor is now EOL. How long RED keep the Epic/Dragon body, it's hard to say... but (in my opinion) there'll be zero chance of any new sensor inside the old body, as all RED tech will be based on the new components of the Weapon.

My hope for Weapon was a move to a new body (with more integrated peripherals) - not Prores etc. It seems that 'might' happen (fingers crossed) ad this would be a way for RED to get us all over to the Weapon eco system and body... without the expense of everyone going full-on Weapon.

This way, most will have new Weapon bodies - and we'll all be able to upgrade (or not) to new sensors/configurations during the Weapon lifespan (from experience that'll be 3-5 years, I'd presume).
    Wrong. Jarred has said the dragon will be able to get the new sensor it will just be more expensive as it will require additional electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Dreher View Post
    Wrong. Jarred has said the dragon will be able to get the new sensor it will just be more expensive as it will require additional electronics.
    The DRAGON is not a camera body.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

It's a bit of a weird one, as now we have to think of RED as a 3 camera lineup (1. Weapon 2. Epic 3. Scarlet). So it doesn't make too much sense to only continue developing the top tier line of their camera systems. Time will tell, however Jarred mentioned that "all dragons" will be able to continue upgrading in the future. I believe this is what Tyler was referring to.

Problem with a few of your questions is, they're at least a year or so away from actually being able to be answered. I wouldn't stress, RED will not abandon Epic and Scarlet Dragon owners, I'm 100% sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Josef Gatti View Post
    It's a bit of a weird one, as now we have to think of RED as a 3 camera lineup (1. Weapon 2. Epic 3. Scarlet). So it doesn't make too much sense to only continue developing the top tier line of their camera systems. Time will tell, however Jarred mentioned that "all dragons" will be able to continue upgrading in the future. I believe this is what Tyler was referring to.

Problem with a few of your questions is, they're at least a year or so away from actually being able to be answered. I wouldn't stress, RED will not abandon Epic and Scarlet Dragon owners, I'm 100% sure of that.
    I'm trying to have clarified "Jarred mentioned that "all dragons" will be able to continue upgrading in the future", as this could simply mean that the upgrade is from one camera body to another camera body. I really want to know about Sensors going into camera bodies as an upgrade path.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

I'm pretty sure red follows a tick tock method, that is sensor, body, sensor, body

I am under the impression no new hardware tech will be introduced to accomidate changes inside the epic casing
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Here is the information I've spent 10 mins digging up. I response to the question posed by Peter:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Jarred - since you are in the answering mood ;o) - can you confirm that all three cameras (Scarlet, Epic and Weapon Dragons) by being part of the same current sensor family - will be eligible to upgrade to the next sensor technology beyond Dragon in one way or another?

Thank you...
    Jarred replied this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yes I am... sorry had to be in the booth today... ready to answer away :)

And yes.... All Dragons will be able to advance to the next round.
    This is as good of an answer as you're going to get when we are so far away from the next sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Will RED offer new SENSORS for my EPIC-X camera BODY in the future?

I ask because I already upgraded my EPIC-X camera BODY to have the DRAGON sensor in it, but want
    to know if in the future NEW and BETTER sensors from RED will be offered by RED to go into my EPIC-X camera BODY?

I am not looking to know about upgrading my EPIC-X camera BODY to another more advanced body like the WEAPON.

ALSO..... if I upgrade to a WEAPON MAGNESIUM Camera BODY, will RED offer new S35 size (not VistaVision) SENSORS
    that are better than DRAGON for the WEAPON MAGNESIUM Camera BODY in the future?

It would be nice to know this info now, because I'm not sure I would pay to upgrade to a WEAPON Magnesium body
    if it is only the WEAPON Carbon Fiber BODY that will have new sensor upgrade options.

It's a tricky thing Martin. And here's how I look at it without having a completely clear crystal ball into the future.

The RED DSMC V1 style of body that Epic and Scarlet utilized allowed for Mysterium-X and all it's functions.

The Dragon Sensor upgrade available for that same style of DSMC V1 body wasn't just a simple sensor drop in solution. It did require new hardware just to support the new tech found there.

The Weapon body is what I'm calling DSMC V2, though I'm sure that's not officially happening. It is significantly more powerful than the previous "brains" under the hood. For now it's using the Dragon Sensor and paving the road for the Dragon 8K Sensor upgrade in Weapon Carbon Fiber bodies.

1-3 years down the line when we get a new sensor there will be new technology. There are some who really, really what higher frame rates. There's some who just want the new sensor tech. There's going to be new processing power needed for those future paths and I suspect Weapon's "innards" are part of that equation if high speed is in our future.

However, the real problem is that it's too early to tell. Dragon has long lasting legs and RED will be getting more out of it with Weapon.

This is without even considering or talking about modules and the future of various other features in the camera.

I have a suspicion that all Weapon bodies will support the new sensor tech whenever it become available, but it's not clear if the "OG" DSMC guts can even support it because we don't know a thing about it or when it will land.

But it sounds like "all Dragons" can go to the next round, which we'll have to see exactly what that means when the time comes.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil.

Right now I dream that someone official from Red, like my favorite Jarred, will respond and makes things crystal ball clear.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens