Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing Element Technica V-Lock Module for Weapon

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Buck View Post
    No P tap might be the decider for me, that makes no sense, I have always powered TV logic, WFF, teradek, almost everything through it.
    Hopefully a few other people quickly make V mount backs that have a ptap on it.
    This would have been my opinion 2 months ago, but I just ordered a bunch of $20 2-pin Lemo cables which was less than I would pay for P-Tap. Maybe we need a group buy to fully convert over to 2-pin lemo? I mostly just need Lemo to barrel. Ironically the $20 cables were P-Tap to 2-pin so I would imagine barrel cables are even cheaper. The problem isn't intrinsically Lemo the price was my objection to lack of P-tap. P-Tap at $20 was preferable to me over Lemo at $120. However with cheap 2-pin cables available now I think it might make sense to drop my crusade to add P-Tap to everything haha. ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #62  
    Senior Member Matthew J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    This would have been my opinion 2 months ago, but I just ordered a bunch of $20 2-pin Lemo cables which was less than I would pay for P-Tap. Maybe we need a group buy to fully convert over to 2-pin lemo? I mostly just need Lemo to barrel. Ironically the $20 cables were P-Tap to 2-pin so I would imagine barrel cables are even cheaper. The problem isn't intrinsically Lemo the price was my objection to lack of P-tap. P-Tap at $20 was preferable to me over Lemo at $120. However with cheap 2-pin cables available now I think it might make sense to drop my crusade to add P-Tap to everything haha. ;)
    I am guessing those aren't LEMO brand connectors are they?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    I am guessing those aren't LEMO brand connectors are they?
    No but they're still arguably better than a plastic P-Tap plug. ;) And it's still 1/6th the price of the official ones.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #64  
    Senior Member John Marchant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Normandy, England
    Posts
    2,132
    DO watch out with off brand 2-pin lemos. I've seen it happen where you can rotate the internals 180 when the sleeve is pulled back hard - I had a FF refusing to power part way through a job and traced it to a 2-pin 'lemo' that had magically changed polarity.
    KipperTie - Authorised RED Rental, Pinewood Studios, UK
    Ready to hire: Monstro 8K VV | Gemini 5K | Helium Monochrome 8K
    Check out our Revolva ND solution, OLPFs and other products
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #65  
    Fire Chief Jarred Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Buck View Post
    No P tap might be the decider for me, that makes no sense, I have always powered TV logic, WFF, teradek, almost everything through it.
    Hopefully a few other people quickly make V mount backs that have a ptap on it.
    Hey Jordan don't worry you are now getting both. And yes... Every single product you just mentioned there people have inserted P-taps in backwards and blown up in quite often fantastic displays of smoke and fire. Even worse its a 3 way compounding danger.. even if you make the best solid metal port on the camera side and put a fuse in and ground the world, just one cheap cable or one cheap accessory in the path down the line throws all that protection out the window.

    Which of course is user error. And we all mistakes. But you would be incredibly shocked at the number of people who blow shit up and then proceed to call RED and try and convince us to fix their busted 3rd party stuff like it was our fault. Or when they do it on set and it brings down the entire production they point to our camera and then go hide on the roof.

    But lets see how it goes... maybe the world has learned. I know the quality of the P-tap ports on pro devices is alot better now than it was 10 years ago so lets give it a chance.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Marchant View Post
    DO watch out with off brand 2-pin lemos. I've seen it happen where you can rotate the internals 180 when the sleeve is pulled back hard - I had a FF refusing to power part way through a job and traced it to a 2-pin 'lemo' that had magically changed polarity.

    Which is why this would solve all of the problems with both cheap "lemo" and P-Tap.


    Code:
     Polarity Protection
    I'm not sure why more electronics don't include this. Especially "professional" gear. If it's plugged in backwards, having the gear fried means you engineered the electronic device poorly, not the cable. For a couple cents polarity protection should be all but mandatory. I would rather have a microscopic amount of vampire power loss than the risk of a critical piece of gear fizzing out hours from a replacement.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #67  
    Senior Member Jordan Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Hey Jordan don't worry you are now getting both. And yes... Every single product you just mentioned there people have inserted P-taps in backwards and blown up in quite often fantastic displays of smoke and fire. Even worse its a 3 way compounding danger.. even if you make the best solid metal port on the camera side and put a fuse in and ground the world, just one cheap cable or one cheap accessory in the path down the line throws all that protection out the window.

    Which of course is user error. And we all mistakes. But you would be incredibly shocked at the number of people who blow shit up and then proceed to call RED and try and convince us to fix their busted 3rd party stuff like it was our fault. Or when they do it on set and it brings down the entire production they point to our camera and then go hide on the roof.

    But lets see how it goes... maybe the world has learned. I know the quality of the P-tap ports on pro devices is alot better now than it was 10 years ago so lets give it a chance.
    Thank you for listening though - it really keeps me here the fact that you guys read this stuff.

    Unfortunately I am one of those people, although it was an AC that used a wrong polarity cable causing my power board to blow through a teradek. Thank god productions insurance shelled out!
    Might I add as well I was incredibly impressed with how quickly you guys fixed my camera.
    RED Epic Dragon #03820
    http://www.jordanbuck.co.uk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #68  
    Senior Member Matthew J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast US
    Posts
    740
    Just in case anyone needed the store link for this: https://elementtechnica.com/product/...attery-module/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #69  
    Senior Member Kemalettin Sert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    3,288
    There is something called Twist D-Tap
    Twist-D-Tap: Only bebob batteries offer the unique bebob Twist-D-Tap. This rainproof socket allows you to plug a D-Tap connector into the battery with your choice of cable trailing from the left or right.

    you cant go wrong with these one :)
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #70  
    Senior Member Andy White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
    There is something called Twist D-Tap
    Twist-D-Tap: Only bebob batteries offer the unique bebob Twist-D-Tap. This rainproof socket allows you to plug a D-Tap connector into the battery with your choice of cable trailing from the left or right.

    you cant go wrong with these one :)
    Do the Bebob batteries show charge/power on the Epic Dragon?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts