Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Observations...

Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lanyon View Post
    The thing that is killing me about the upgrade is the magnesium/carbon thing. If they are both roughly the same weight, why am I paying 13k more for carbon? Why not make them all carbon and charge 5k less and get twice as many upgrades? Or make them all magnesium and get 4 times the amount. I feel like I'm literally buying my way into a tier system and not physically getting something for it just so I can remain in the upgrade path.
    The Carbon Weapon is more powerful in a few ways. Notably we currently see this in the 3D LUT support, ProRes frame rate (and maybe resolution), and data rate. I'm betting the family cow that it will also lead to a few other things later on as well because I have an active imagination of the potential here. Additionally you will need the horsepower of Carbon Weapon if you plan on going to the 8K Dragon Sensor with the given specs at present time.

Carbon Weapon is basically the premiere line that gets you the best of the best.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    The Carbon Weapon is more powerful in a few ways. Notably we currently see this in the 3D LUT support, ProRes frame rate (and maybe resolution), and data rate. I'm betting the family cow that it will also lead to a few other things later on as well because I have an active imagination of the potential here. Additionally you will need the horsepower of Carbon Weapon if you plan on going to the 8K Dragon Sensor with the given specs at present time.

Carbon Weapon is basically the premiere line that gets you the best of the best.
    I understand RED releasing the Carbon Weapon as an attractive money-pit for paying extra for early 8k fulfillment. What I don't understand is not putting the same internals in the Mag Weapon and just saying the CF Weapons will be upgraded to 8k Weapon first and Mag Weapons will follow later... sort of like selling the Epic M's and the CF Dragons... a profit leader to help finance the 2nd line of 8k upgrades.

Just sayin, do the 8k internals to the Mag Weapon now so anyone upgrading will feel like they are getting more than just a form factor change.

I want 8k but if I'm frozen out because of cost, then I'll have to stay at 6k or turn to a new RED-type camera maker to get me to 8k affordably... and that is something I never imagined I would ever (have to) say.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 04-16-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    Nice summation.
    Perfect summation.

We haven't even seen the majority of this stuff being used - there are just celebrity pictures and videos of revolving products. Everything is still in-development as far as we're concerned - otherwise, you'd be able to buy these things right now.

Remember when there had to be enough complaints with the Dragon sensor upgrade not doing what it was supposed to? Recalls on bodies, retooling the design, and OLPF solutions that are just OK. Some people are just now receiving their backordered LLO OLPFs.

When will we actually get to the stage where upgrades don't feel like one enormous Kickstarter campaign? RED has been around long enough...

Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar

Which is why I pulled the trigger on the Carbon Weapon first thing Monday... Can't come soon enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Probst View Post
    Which is why I pulled the trigger on the Carbon Weapon first thing Monday... Can't come soon enough for me!
    Does Zeb know about this? '-)
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    When will we actually get to the stage where upgrades don't feel like one enormous Kickstarter campaign? RED has been around long enough...
    So your vote is we abolish upgrade campaigns moving forward? Copy that.

I understand that there are advantages to the carbon upgrade but they are advantages based on reds marketing, not based on what is physically achievable. Unless there is something i'm missing (heat distribution, thickness of materials.) the carbon guts could fit in a magnesium body no? I know this is the world we live in and corporations need to make money but it just feels like a bit of a kick in the pants.
    Philip Lanyon, Cinematographer

www.philiplanyon.com
    www.seslercompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    So your vote is we abolish upgrade campaigns moving forward? Copy that.
    Brent, please ignore these outlying opinions. Thanks. Or, to paraphrase Jim, just invoke your right to refuse upgrades to certain people. :-)

I don't know much about Camera business, but..

If it seems like there are more people giving up on upgrading including long-time customers, Red could consider adjusting the price of Weapon CF 6K in order to increase the volume of sale.

If Weapon CF 6K is priced something like $25,000 to 35,000, many more people will continue to upgrade, many new people will buy fresh, and all of this added customers will bring Red much more money from accessories they will purchase.

In addition to this, Red won't need to think about creating another line of camera which will cost extra R&D and whatnot. I'm pretty certain you will also keep every loyal customers happy this way, too.

Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lanyon View Post
    Why not make them all carbon and charge 5k less and get twice as many upgrades? Or make them all magnesium and get 4 times the amount.
    Nook Kim
    CEO, DIGITAL FACTORY, Seoul
    Digital Revolution Since 2009
    Color Correction/Digital Workflow/Red Camera Rental
    www.DigitalFactory.kr