Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Observations...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Observations... 
    1. Jarred has done a masterful job of leading the the RED team on the Weapon project. And the entire team stepped up like never before.

2. I attempted to teach Jarred everything I knew about everything... it took all of about one hour. :-) Apparently he listened... and then magnified every word times ten.

3. The original RED ONE Mysterium footage still looks amazing. Crossing the Line. Ché. Knowing. $17,500 in a then 200+ thousand dollar world... for 1080P.

4. Many forget that The Social Network was shot on a RED ONE Mysterium-X sensor. I haven't. It is a look that many still cannot match to this day.

5. The Amazing Spider Man was shot on prototype EPIC MX cameras. Then... the Hobbit was shot on 96 RED EPIC MX cameras. Prometheus, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and hundreds of other features were shot on EPIC MX.

6. Enter the Dragon. One of the most significant advancements in the history of cinema cameras. 6K resolution, high frame rates, monster dynamic range and improved color. So many features, commercials, music videos and fashion shoots shot on EPIC Dragon that it is scary. DXO Mark scores the Dragon sensor (101) above every sensor/camera ever made, beating the Nikon D800 (96).

7. Now Weapon. Everything better still. 6K and 8K. 16+ stops. 15 bit color. High frame rates. Smaller. Lighter. No cables. Every accessory option you can imagine. The current Gold Standard in every way.

We have given upgrade paths to our customers because we believe in "Obsolescence Obsolete". From the original RED ONE to Weapon 8k. But let me say this as clearly as possible. These upgrades are an option. They are not mandatory. I think one can use any RED camera from the RED ONE to Weapon and create amazing work. Upgrading is an option... your choice. If the upgrade makes sense for you... perfect. If it is too expensive or not necessary... don't do it. You currently have a worthy tool if you have any RED camera in your hands.

8. Uprezzing not spoken here... please do not believe that uprezzing a 2.8K sensor to 4K in camera is a reasonable option. It isn't. It is as close to fraud as it gets.

9. Dedicated to purpose beyond reason. We are at war with conventional thinking.

10. Apple ProRes is awesome. It is a great editing and sometimes delivery format. But it is NOT an acquisition format. REDCODE RAW is. With Weapon... now you can have both at the same time on the same SSD card with Weapon.

I can't remember having as much fun in my life as with RED. Thanks to all of you that have supported our vision.

Jim
    Last edited by Jannard; 04-14-2015 at 03:25 AM.
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.

Thank you RED Leader!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Well said! And once again RED is raising the bar and years ahead of the competition!

You are an amazing man Mr. Jannard. Thank you for getting this whole thing going. Good to see you again today.

While I got you on the phone . . . can someone at RED clarify the upgrade path for Mono Dragon? Thanks for what all you guys do

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...n-Upgrade-Path
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

It is sort of sad that so many people see the upgrade path as a glass half full; as if their "old" camera becomes worthless. I just stepped up for Dragonizing my Scarlet (haven't even received it back yet) and I feel like the adventure is just beginning. I am as excited as I have been since I ordered my Scarlet years ago. I feel like a young man again!! Thanks for that, Jim. LOL

Well said, Jim.

Thanks for shaking it up boss. Me, I want to get off this crazy ride and make sunglasses ;-)

Nick

Glad to see you back here in "your house"...
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Thank you Jim.

On point #8 I couldn't agree more.

On point #10 I do think there will be shooters and shoots that some might prefer shooting ProRes only for based on the many shooters I spoke to today. Though it's not so attractive to me as I prefer to capture REDCODE RAW, there are some who will want to shoot 6K and scale down to say 4K at various frame rates if it's possible. Especially now with 3D LUT support.

That said, RED is making a camera that is forward thinking in both format and resolution with 8K Weapon Dragon. VistaVision has always been my favorite format and I appreciate the hard work to create a modern day digital VV cinema camera. Not to mention that it also has the format and resolution relevance that the industry demands. Thank you for making this beast.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon