Thread: NAB 2015 - Favorites

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 NAB 2015 - Favorites 
    I know everyone is coming to terms with how they feel about RED's announcements... but what is the most exciting new release you have seen from everyone else?
    TEHBEN DEAN
    EPIC-X #557
    www.tehbendean.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

Blackmagic URSA Mini so far, no question about it. If it performs as it says, its a game changer. Next would be the 3D Robotics Solo Drone. Looks very, very interesting and potentially a Phantom/inspire beater. The Panasonic DVX200 looks like a good successor to the old DVX, albeit I expected a wider end (30mm seems not wide enough). If RED doesn't reconsider the 5000 USD credit for after NAB, will probably spend 5000 in a URSA Mini just to get Resolve with it. Resolve 12 looks great. And also FCPX 1.2 for our very own Red workflows.

Still haven't seen beyond these infos, looking forward for more news!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tehben Dean View Post
    I know everyone is coming to terms with how they feel about RED's announcements... but what is the most exciting new release you have seen from everyone else?
    DaVinci Resolve 12 is very positive upgrade. I am excited about that.
    The new Ursa Mini with 4.6K sensor is the camera of the show this year. But not perfect yet. I want to be able to record to Samsung 850 Pro SSDs not some silly, overpriced cards....

Otherwise NAB has been rather dull this time. So much hype and very little substance. Next NAB should be more interesting though, Sony are working on an entirely new generation of sensors and Panasonic have their agreement with Intel's foundry which will allow them to pack phenomenal amount of compute power in their next generation products.

Add the FCP-X update...:

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

"GPU-accelerated support for RED RAW"

"Fly through RED RAW footage with GPU-accelerated playback, rendering, and transcoding — including support for dual GPUs on Mac Pro. Final Cut Pro also automatically displays RED RAW anamorphic formats in the correct aspect ratio, so you can work effortlessly with widescreen footage."

"Import, edit, and share MXF files with Final Cut Pro X and Motion. Native support means there’s no need to transcode or rewrap MXF files from asset management systems or third-party apps. Included Compressor settings make it simple to export OP1a MXF files in a variety of frame rates, frame sizes, and codecs."

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

BMD Ursa Mini sounds really interesting as it offers a lot for relatively cheap.

The 4.6K super35 sensor has a resolution of 4608 x 2592 (11.94 MP), and a claimed 15 stops of DR.
    It can record 4K RAW up to 60fps in Rolling Shutter mode and 4K RAW Up to 30fps in Global Shutter mode.
    Body is made of Magnesium Alloy. There's a built-in heatsink to keep the sensor from over-heating.

$4995 for the URSA Mini with 4.6K s35 sensor & EF mount.
    $5495 for the URSA Mini with 4.6K s35 sensor & PL mount.
    $1495 for the optional 1920 x 1080 OLED EVF.
    $395 for the optional BlackMagic URSA Mini Shoulder Kit.
    $962.95 Lexar Pro 3400x 256GB CFast 2.0 card
    $38 for the Lexar Pro Workflow CR1 CFast 2.0 USB3.0 Reader
    $??? V-lock adapter + batteries

So, if you wanna get the PL mount with the optional accessories and a couple of CFast 2.0 cards (and card reader), you're looking at a total of roughly $9350.
    That is, assuming you already have some PL glass at your disposal.
    Last edited by Eric Z; 04-14-2015 at 05:11 AM.
    "Don't under-estimate the amateur photographer. The latest HW & SW empower him to achieve results just as good as yours".
    Nothing beats a Master Prime!
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 24GB RAM, i5-3570K, Intel 520 120GB SSD - Win7 Pro SP1 x64, Dell U2713H 27" 10bit @ 2560x1440@60Hz (via miniDP).

I'm looking forward to hearing how the new BM monitor and SmallHD 502 feel and look.
    It's exciting to finally see 1080 on camera displays showing up. Image and build quality at these prices though might be a miracle.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...gicvideoassist
    https://www.smallhd.com/lp/502/
    TEHBEN DEAN
    EPIC-X #557
    www.tehbendean.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

If the Ursa Mini lives up to its specs and the viewfinder and ergonomics are as clean as they appear, I may sell my Dragon...

Does anyone know if the original Ursa lived up to its claim of 15 stops? It appeared to be more like 13 from the videos I'ver seen (with skin tones that didn't look too great to my eye). And why doesn't Arri start claiming that the Alexa has 23 stops seeing that everyone is bloating their latitude these days (there's no chance it has more than Arri and Arri only claims 14.5)
    Last edited by Frank Hague; 04-15-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hague View Post
    If the Ursa Mini lives up to its specs and the viewfinder and ergonomics are as clean as they appear, I may sell my Dragon...

Does anyone know if the original Ursa lived up to its claim of 15 stops? It appeared to be more like 13 from the videos I'ver seen (with skin tones that didn't look too great to my eye). And why doesn't Arri start claiming that the Alexa has 23 stops seeing that everyone is bloating their latitude these days (there's no chance it has more than Arri and Arri only claims 14.5)
    The original Ursa claimed 12 stops though I've heard that's only achievable if you shoot in raw.

There's pretty much no chance that the Ursa Mini is hitting 15 stops in real world situations. We'll have to see just how far off they are and what the trade-offs are though.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net