Thread: WEAPON - THE "WRONG" IDEA... (sanity check)

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BOOOM! Now all my assumptions have been converted to facts...:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Jarred - since you are in the answering mood ;o) - can you confirm that all three cameras (Scarlet, Epic and Weapon Dragons) by being part of the same current sensor family - will be eligible to upgrade to the next sensor technology beyond Dragon in one way or another?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    And yes.... All Dragons will be able to advance to the next round.
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    This is the point. This particular upgrade is not horizontal, but rather vertical - and it clearly is not for everyone. Peter
    Peter, this thread and post are probably the best post out there. I would think the simplistic way to describe this would be half all red owners don't need this upgrade. And they should be happy about this. It's definitely a vertical upgrade to address issues with the camera on a pro level (directly related to Alexia) and to move higher end technology forward. This is not for the masses!
    IMAX Director|DP|Producer
    FORGED Monstro VV |Trooper 8K | CF Dragon
    http://digitalcrossing.ca

The thing that is confusing is the Body > Sensor > Body > Sensor. So by releasing a new body I think everyone was confused that that is 'the future/next step'. I think what will happen is eventually there will be new a new 'scarlet' and a new 'epic' in that body. RED is doing an excellent job with the confusion and I think it's because they are making some of his up as they go.

Have to say that I think it's supergood that RED has taken a close look at the body and the modularity concept.

Take2 looks a lot more thought through than Take1

Hopefully it will last longer. But at least: This looks like a system out of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Smucker View Post
    RED is doing an excellent job with the confusion and I think it's because they are making some of his up as they go.
    The only meaningful explanation!

---

Peter, thanks for digging deeper!

Hans
    Hans von Sonntag
    www.hubbertvonsonntag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dalton View Post
    This is not for the masses!
    Yep... If only some people would spend as much money on lighting, grip, and training - they would see a larger jump forward in their craft with a Scarlet / Epic / MX / Dragon, than they will with a $20K upgrade to Weapon.

Just my opinion of course.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

I agree that the introduction went sideways most probably because of PR decisions.

For one I feel they could've done a better job at the naming front. And I'm not talking about the term "Weapon"

The amount of time and effort needed in "convincing" the crowd that CF is actually some kind of "Weapon +" could have been avoided with a different name.
    Weapon CF = Weapon with carbon fibre housing. Just as it was with the CF before. A single comment on reduser that it's more than just a housing doesn't reach everyone.

I believe that a name hinting towards more power would have let to more acceptance of the fact that the price is not based on the CF casing.

Of course its relatively easy to say anything in hindsight but laying out the line up in terms of power and price before, when informing people that they need to upgrade, would have lessened "the blow" for more people.

I for one was 90% certain that I won't be able to upgrade to Weapon because of the price (because of the "best, better, bestist" comment) but I still was hoping that there might be something coming up we weren't hinted towards yet. ;) So I can relate either way.
    Something witty this way comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Smucker View Post
    The thing that is confusing is the Body > Sensor > Body > Sensor. So by releasing a new body I think everyone was confused that that is 'the future/next step'. I think what will happen is eventually there will be new a new 'scarlet' and a new 'epic' in that body. RED is doing an excellent job with the confusion and I think it's because they are making some of his up as they go.
    Exactly.

Also, to claim that Epic Dragon can ride into the future with Weapon Dragons is false.
    To follow the upgrade path you have to upgrade to Weapon.
    Which is not really an upgrade for me. It's simply put paying $20k and having to buy all new modules to just stay in the game without a real spec benefit. Just to stay on the Red train.
    It's confusing that people say Weapon is a "high end" of the Dragon family when spec wise it is not, except for Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan S. View Post
    Also, to claim that Epic Dragon can ride into the future with Weapon Dragons is false. To follow the upgrade path you have to upgrade to Weapon.
    Which is not really an upgrade for me. It's simply put paying $20k and having to buy all new modules to just stay in the game without a real spec benefit. Just to stay on the Red train...
    Milan - this is simply not true. Jared has clearly stated that ALL three Dragon cameras (Scarlet, Epic and Weapon) will be eligible to upgrade to the next future tech coming after Dragon. See the Update 3 on the bottom of my first post in this thread...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    I think part of the PR disaster comes from the QVC style "CALL NOW, PLACE AN ORDER QUICKLY TO GET THIS PRICE"

The Weapon specs are wishy washy at best, the price is sky high and the time pressure to place an order is an added problem. The time pressure is a big part of the PR problem...aside from the price...and modest bump in specs.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W