Thread: Redrock Micro Halo - "Focus Evolved"

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think people should just learn to pull focus like we always have. I'm all down for new technology but I'm still not sure about these devices. Even preston's new thing isn't blowing my mind. Just another company that thinks they can solve a problem which isn't much of an issue if you hire an experienced focus puller. That's the fastest and easiest way to get good focus.

For those who use metric lenses, this is what the RedRock Halo is going to be like/ sound like for 1st AC's:

Who doesn't love Hudson?

GAME OVER, MAN. Game over.
    Thank you Red Team for unlocking/correcting the i/data technology. Cooke lenses are reading correctly and all his happy in Cooke/Epic land. Thanks!

I need a wireless follow focus for gimbal work and considering three options.

1. Redrock microremote 3.0 and later upgrade to the halo system
    2. Cineyear follow focus (missing out the halo)
    3. Using canon lenses own focus motors throw optitron

Is there any thoughts or tips (pros/cons) on this three alternatives?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

is you have MFT o E Mount: Aputure for Canon Lenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx2LBhfrHVM

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    I need a wireless follow focus for gimbal work and considering three options.

1. Redrock microremote 3.0 and later upgrade to the halo system
    2. Cineyear follow focus (missing out the halo)
    3. Using canon lenses own focus motors throw optitron

Is there any thoughts or tips (pros/cons) on this three alternatives?
    Number # comes as hardly any cost so my advice would be to try that first. As it also comes with far less gimbal balancing issues, but I guess if yoy got some manual glass that you really want to use with the gimbal, then thats not a good pick... For the other two I think today is not really a good day to invest in FF gear, to me it's pretty clear that this kind of technology is on a cliffs edge and will very soon rapidly improve in preformance and ease of use and for sure prices will fall dramatically as well... So possibly add 4. Wait and see what DJI and others will bring to the table and rent in the mean time.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I see an Android icon but no Apple. After the last FF failed to come to fruition on Apple platforms, one has to wonder...

Anyone who thinks this sort of technology isn't going to win over is delusional. It will take awhile and first generation solutions will be kludgy and expensive. But, it will happen. Robotics can do so many things better than humans. And the speed of that trend is only going to increase.

Until an actor can implant a focus tracker in their nose and call it a day, this stuff will be kludgy and useless.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Until an actor can implant a focus tracker in their nose and call it a day, this stuff will be kludgy and useless.
    How about a chip in a contact lens? Focusing on the nose is for noobs. :-)

the andra focus can have the sensor mounted on the back of a neck/head, and as long as it doesn't move relative to the eyes, then you can calibrate the focus in 3d space to accurately focus one either one of the eyes, even when the head turns.

its apparently accurate to the MM, so i have been emailing andra about the possible use for stills.

i guess shooting with fast lenses and 4k (or more) is like shooting stills, you need focus within 5-10mm depending on distance. Andra seems to be promising this.

i doubt a system like the red rock that sends a signal and receives it can be very accurate. It wouldn't be better than a camera AF unless the lens is stopped down with a acceptable margin of error. the signal can't differentiate between whats a body/head/nose or eyes.

paul

You can keep telling yourself that but if you are young, and your job is pulling focus, I would suggest not being too complacent.