Thread: Not upgrading to Weapon

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin Cardona View Post
    Thanks Joe. I missed that quote from earlier. I think it would be critical for me it terms of upgrade. I keep being a broken record about this but to take Red into edit in Premiere and have the color tools there is holy **** for me. So I would need the full 4K pro rez goodness to make the leap I think as I love my 'vintage' Dragon:) BTW. For what its worth I have commercial clients for whom I used have to do the whole ProRez thing. In part because they were cutting in FCP7. Now they edit on Premiere and recently just back up the RedRaw. So minds they are evolving.
    I've just left FCP7 as well. As unwilling as I have been to adapt, I'm so glad I made the change.
    Writer/Director
    joedarcyfilms.com
    Red 3166

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post

And yes.... All Dragons will be able to advance to the next round.
    How does this quote get interpeted as "Epic Dragon will be able to be upgraded with the next generation sensor"????

it simply means that Epic Dragon can be upgraded to Weapon and then to whatever comes next.
    This is consistent with everything Jarred said in the past few months and is also consistent with Red upgrade path history to date.
    To read any more into that quote is simply making things up.

Yeah, I think Jarred meant you will be able to trade in your Epic Dragon or Scarlet Dragon towards a Weapon with the next generation sensor. You don't need to go Weapon Dragon first. But based on the -- body > sensor > body > sensor -- roadmap, I think the next generation sensor will only be available in the Weapon body style. $$$

Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Milan S. View Post
    How does this quote get interpeted as "Epic Dragon will be able to be upgraded with the next generation sensor"????

it simply means that Epic Dragon can be upgraded to Weapon and then to whatever comes next.
    This is consistent with everything Jarred said in the past few months and is also consistent with Red upgrade path history to date.
    To read any more into that quote is simply making things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curran Giddens View Post
    Yeah, I think Jarred meant you will be able to trade in your Epic Dragon or Scarlet Dragon towards a Weapon with the next generation sensor. You don't need to go Weapon Dragon first. But based on the -- body > sensor > body > sensor -- roadmap, I think the next generation sensor will only be available in the Weapon body style. $$$
    If what you both are saying is true, then Weapon will only sit at the top of the Dragon Family until the next sensor generation comes out.

Milan, you say "it simply means that Epic Dragon can be upgraded to Weapon and then to whatever comes next." I can do that today. There's no reason to think I wouldn't also have that option when a new sensor hits. I don't think that was Peter's question.

As I recall, Jarred said the path to upgrade further goes through Dragon (as opposed to MX). I don't remember him saying the path to all further upgrades is through Weapon, only the path to Weapon - the top tier of the family - is through Dragon.

RED has never had two concurrent body styles where one wasn't being phased out, so you can't necessarily use past RED upgrade programs as a reliable indicator.

Even if what you're saying was true a month ago, it doesn't mean they haven't changed their minds (remember the no Scarlet Dragon to Epic Dragon upgrade thing?). Based on the quotes I provided, Jarred isn't explicitly backing your claim, either.
    Last edited by Brian Boyer; 04-15-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Milan S. View Post
    You can have mine for $34k. You will get an amazing credit of $15,500 for trading it in and be one of the cool kids with Weapons. After spending the additional $22k. Deal?
    Yeah, mine's available as well. Any takers? And hey, you can even buy all the accessories for the same price I paid for them because you know what? They'll totally work with DRAGON (just not with Weapon).

I'll throw in ground shipping.

How about them apples?

Some of these repetitive and totally senseless jibes get really tiresome. It'd help if one respects other's financial balancing acts and not go piss all over them.

This is my first post to Reduser so go easy on me lol. I'm planning on purchasing my first Red this year and I was planning on that purchase being the Weapon. I was so pumped for NAB so that I could finally see all the awesome upgrades it would be getting. Well, I am completely underwhelmed now. The Weapon doesn't sound much different at all from the Epic Dragon. Basically, aside from the slightly different body, 8k sensor, and Prores recording, it's the same camera. I'm totally shocked that they didn't even include built in ND filters!!! If I were a Dragon owner there's no way that I'd upgrade to Weapon. That being said, I'm now planning on purchasing an Epic-X Dragon. Any advice from you Red owners. A lot of you sound unhappy since this upgrade announcement. Would you advise the purchase of an Epic-X Dragon or a different camera completely? Thanks in advance.

Kaster
    www.Level8studios.com

Senior Member Adrian Weinbrecht's Avatar
    Hi Kurtis

I'd simply grab an Epic Dragon, as they totally rock. The Weapon looks great, particularly for the rental markets with things like ProRes, auto calibration making life much easier for people not used to black shading for different shutter speeds etc.

The flexibility of the Epic Dragon makes it a camera that really stands out today. 6k shooting, great frame rates, wonderful colour science etc etc. We love shooting Raw, but we also have Atomos and sound devices recorders for when we need ProRes.

I honestly don't think any single camera comes close today, in terms of cost and features etc etc.

Well it seems we will maybe have another cheaper model of Weapon. Just the body upgrade without the extra power. That would be great.

Hi Adrian, thanks for the reply. I absolutely love the image and color the Dragon produces so I think sticking with the Epic Dragon should be a good choice. Which devices record Prores from the Epic? I didn't know Atomos was compatible.

Epic-M Dragon + RRx