Thread: Not upgrading to Weapon

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Jarred posted this tonight after I bugged him about this particular topic :)
    4K prores actually would be invaluable for what I do: a racing highlights show to be edited, displayed and broadcasted in literally hours at the end of its 3 days of capture- very specific, I know. What we do right now is get everything raw, convert everything to prores 2K due to time and workflow rendering limitations overnight, edit them with the final day shots being in its native R3d format which bring down the editing speed of our system, and keep the 6K, 5K, 3K super slow-motion shots masters for future high end TVC use. If we had 4K internal recording, it would save us the downconversion time in post. It is a situation that every single minute counts. I think for certain ENG, Broadcast situations were time is of outmost importance, this allowing 4K prores would make the system much, much more versatile. Would be a very good move for RED to allow this, hopefully also on the Magnesium body.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chema View Post
    And putting a sense of urgency on upgrading by baiting us with a better trade in credit NAB week only? C'mon!! Why penalize faithful customers?

From Jarred:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Your $5000 accessory credit will remain until you are ready to upgrade to Weapon, and is not limited to NAB week.

Optionally, if you wish to purchase Weapon new ( not upgrade your camera ) you will receive the $5000 accessory credit, but only if you purchase the new Weapon during NAB.
    Absolutely... The purpose of the credit is to make the transition from your Epic / Scarlet body to the new Weapon body as painless as possible since there are some new accessories, and can be applied to media, handles, modules, monitors, etc. It gets put into your account to spend on whatever you want.
    Last edited by Brian Boyer; 04-15-2015 at 03:02 AM.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Jarred posted this tonight after I bugged him about this particular topic :)
    This is why we love Jarred. That said, Scaled 2k proves from 6k can always be TerraneXed into very sharp UHD.

Yes Ivan, your comment is right!
    I am convinced that many people hitherto loyal to RED, like us, for the first time, are not going to follow the path of evolution. The reasons are many already.
    The Dragon (Epic or Scarlet) is a historical chapter. For the rest I think Weapon starts something else ... actually more to rental companies, more to the world of ARRI ... and less to independent, by whom all began ... until now.
    But I remain optimistic and still faithful and passionate, always excited to use my camera again for another shoot.
    Christophe

(…with Red Scarlet Dragon - Canon L series PL conv)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stilling View Post
    Am I the only one that is really disappointed with the lack of 4K ProRes?
    all the talk about 2K not being good enough (which I agree) and then the ProRes flavors are only 2K? What gives?

Redcode is one of REDs most important features, so internal 4K Prores (especially in the lower tier models) would be a bad move on their part. Although they wouldn't like to admit it, for most people, Prores is a good option a lot of the time. If people started shooting Prores for most of their stuff it would make it harder for them to justify the cost of REDMags/REDRocket. Including Prores in their premium model doesn't really affect this, as people forking out for the Weapon will undoubtably have the funds to buy the workstation/media needed to process 4k-8k RAW. The only reason I can see why RED included Prores 2k is to make moves in the narrative TV/Rental market.

TBH RED has always said RAW is their way, so I don't know what all the fuss is about...

To Phil. Seeing as you seem to have magical powers when speaking with Jarred:) There is the question of 4K pro rez as well that keeps coming up. Is this something that can be enabled overtime with the existing processing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin Cardona View Post
    To Phil. Seeing as you seem to have magical powers when speaking with Jarred:) There is the question of 4K pro rez as well that keeps coming up. Is this something that can be enabled overtime with the existing processing?
    Jarred hinted at that without making any promises.
    Writer/Director
    joedarcyfilms.com
    Red 3166

Thanks Joe. I missed that quote from earlier. I think it would be critical for me it terms of upgrade. I keep being a broken record about this but to take Red into edit in Premiere and have the color tools there is holy **** for me. So I would need the full 4K pro rez goodness to make the leap I think as I love my 'vintage' Dragon:) BTW. For what its worth I have commercial clients for whom I used have to do the whole ProRez thing. In part because they were cutting in FCP7. Now they edit on Premiere and recently just back up the RedRaw. So minds they are evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Ken, Jarred has confirmed ALL Dragon cameras (Epic/Scarlet/Weapon) are eligible for the next sensor, so the ride isn't ending!

There's just a new Roll Royce in the garage that you don't have to buy/upgrade to if you don't want to.

The BMW you are currently driving is still totally awesome!!
    best
    Pro-res = Rolls Royce? Wow.

Please stop with misinformation.

ALL Dragons are eligible for the next sensor by upgrading to Weapon body first.
    That's a known.
    Yours is a guess and you are trying to sell it as a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan S. View Post
    Pro-res = Rolls Royce? Wow.

Please stop with misinformation.

ALL Dragons are eligible for the next sensor by upgrading to Weapon body first.
    That's a known.
    Yours is a guess and you are trying to sell it as a fact.
    From an exchange with Jarred:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Jarred - since you are in the answering mood ;o) - can you confirm that all three cameras (Scarlet, Epic and Weapon Dragons) by being part of the same current sensor family - will be eligible to upgrade to the next sensor technology beyond Dragon in one way or another?

Thank you...
    Yes I am... sorry had to be in the booth today... ready to answer away :)

And yes.... All Dragons will be able to advance to the next round.
    And:

Weapon is at the highest end of the Dragon family remember.
    Based on these quotes and, considering that Weapon is an addition to the Dragon family, not a replacement, you might be wrong about the path to a new sensor being through Weapon only.
    Cutting out soft shadows in Photoshop tutorial
    YouTube | Vimeo

www.harbonder.com

Strand on Soundcloud