Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing WEAPON DRAGON 6k Magnesium

Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455565758 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andersen View Post
    When I hear this I get a little sad that I'm only getting a MG (awesome as the camera and the deal my be) does this mean CF will have considerably better compression performance? This compression question has been killing me all week but no one ever seems to discuss it, I assume that is because final specs are not known at this time.
    Yes I said it even before the announcement, The Carbon Weapon is not just for looks. The insides are dramatically faster... they need to be to be able to keep up with 8K. We don't have hard specs because we still are squeezing. We are at 8K 5:1 @ 24fps right now on 8K dragon.

But don't worry, the boards fit inside the 6k MG. When the 8K dragon sensor is ready, you will be able to keep the MG body and just upgrade the Boards and the Sensor to get the full 8K Carbon performance. It will cost more of course than going straight to 8K Carbon right now, but the performance will be the same and 6K and 8K will be the distinction, not just the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    It is one hell of an expensive sensor to make that takes a very long time to make and needs to be made in batches so condensing as many orders into this week gets that first order as big as it can be at the factory which saves both of us money... so that can't be extended. The 8k orders have blown way way way past our expectations and we really can't delay that first batch as it is not fair to everyone that already got their orders in.

That said.. We did a piss-poor job of explaining things clearly and changed so many things this week via your feedback, that we probably owe you guys at least through the weekend to figure things out.
    Love how flexible you guys are. Speaks volumes to how much you LISTEN.

Very cool.

Can't wait to see 8K footage!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I've asked this before, but wouldn't it lower overall cost if everyone upgraded to the EXACT SAME interiors and exteriors instead of keeping two lines of insides and two lines of exteriors? It seems much more complicated than it needs to be. Streamline the process and maybe you would be able to upgrade everyone to the Carbon Weapon at more or less the same price as the Magnesium version?
    Tony Lorentzen, Kinema Follow me on Twitter: kinemadk
    Cinematographer, owner of RED Epic Dragon #420

Getting clarification and even huge changes (like the $5k NAB discount now permanent!) helps a lot!
    Thanks Jarred and Brent for sorting through our hand wringing and such... ;)
    It's still out of my range for now, but to know that I can still upgrade in time, and not really lose any perks, helps out a lot.

I'm so confused. I don't know what the costs are at all on any of this. Do we get 15,500 for Epix-X or $15,500 plus $5000 = $20,500? I don't need $5000 accessory credit, I need that $5000 off the purchase price.

When it was said originally, and it was going to cost me $20,000 to upgrade I went looking for other options at NAB and just now decided to check in, and see it might be different now.

I wish this was so much easier to figure out what is going on.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Atlas Orion Anamorphic lenses PL Mount 40, 65,100
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S - Alexa Mini
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

Thomas there's lot's of clear info on this page:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...UPGRADE/page14

Start on page 5 and scan for posts by Brent and Jarred.

[QUOTE= It will cost more of course than going straight to 8K Carbon right now,[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jarred, this clears some things up for me. and thanks for listening, the card upgrade program is generous indeed.

Right now the difference between 6k magnesium and 8K carbon is $25K, $35K by the end of the weekend. Are you saying that to go from magnesium 6K to magnesium 8k will be more than $35k? Or will just the sensor cost be more than the $20K after this weekend?
    Last edited by Philip Lanyon; 04-16-2015 at 11:28 PM.
    Philip Lanyon, Cinematographer

www.philiplanyon.com
    www.seslercompany.com

I think what most of us on the current Weapon Magnesium budget would want is the reassurance we get to go Vista 8K. We know the internals are different to the CF version, but, truth be told, we were on the A tier bandwagon with our Epic Dragons, and suddenly we feel like we "dropped" to second tier on a similar budget... Having said that, no other camera and system truly compares to a Red, and the experience of shooting and producing content with it cannot be compared with other cameras. And lets not forget the community and Red peers that really help constant development and interchange between other owners/operators, its invaluable specially in countries where cinema culture and industries are developing. (my case)
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio Perez View Post
    I think what most of us on the current Weapon Magnesium budget would want is the reassurance we get to go Vista 8K. We know the internals are different to the CF version, but, truth be told, we were on the A tier bandwagon with our Epic Dragons, and suddenly we feel like we "dropped" to second tier on a similar budget...
    It kind of feels like "upgrading" from Epic to Scarlet but at the same time knowing that your new camera will reach the end of life a year later. It's a double kick in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    It is one hell of an expensive sensor to make that takes a very long time to make and needs to be made in batches so condensing as many orders into this week gets that first order as big as it can be at the factory which saves both of us money... so that can't be extended. The 8k orders have blown way way way past our expectations and we really can't delay that first batch as it is not fair to everyone that already got their orders in.

That said.. We did a piss-poor job of explaining things clearly and changed so many things this week via your feedback, that we probably owe you guys at least through the weekend to figure things out.
    Thinking out loud... If I get your info right, this might be interesting for you guys, too in terms of producing batches of the sensor.

What about if you offer a second batch 8K group buy at around the time the sensor is available?

I picture this scenario: NAB purchasers get first batch. At the time the sensor is out in the wild and NAB upgrades are running, we already had the first 8K R3D from folks to marvel at, you could pre announce a few weeks in advance, a group buy week offering everyone a discount who puts in their order during that week (maybe IBC if possible).
    To be fair to the NAB purchasers this should be somewhat less than the NAB discount. But if still significant enough, I guess people might jump at it to save a few $K. Or get the discount split to 50% discount and 50% store credit.

20K is not peanuts, when compared to the camera prices themselves, so I guess there might be a few more people interested in this sort of thing. Especially when they had time to evaluate the image and scramble together some money.

You could also ask for a minimum amount of purchasers needed to make this deal happen as is the norm with other group buys - which doesn't need to be disclosed but could be disclosed in percentage maybe.

Just my 2 cents.
    Something witty this way comes.