Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Announcing WEAPON DRAGON 6k Magnesium

Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    It seems to me there are only two sensible choices. Stay with Epic Dragon that you have. Good camera that has benefited from the previous round of 'betaville' so approaching being a real mature 'tool'. OR. Invest in the Carbon Woven package. Because you will want the better LUTs and faster pro-res - in part because you will not want to hear why as an Mg owner your ProRes stuff doesn't look as good compared to CF folks. The lighter body and this dual shooting for what will amount to about a 32ish thousand hit is what will competitively bring you into a potentially superior spot to Alexa Mini for less cost - which will be good provided the images (especially the pro res images) look gorgeous. But we have not seen the evidence or samples for this yet have we? Should we? Probably. Otherwise the pro res is pointless as Adobe has put the new Red color controls in Premiere. Sweet!

Arri has shown what the mini can do and it is very pretty. If CFW can match at this price then Red did you a favor. So Mg is no go in my view. Not just whether you want 8K down the road or not but because you will want the better processors etc to get the best pix or you will be frustrated. It won't rent well comparatively as everyone wants the better cam, or they will go Dragon.

The choice is stick with the Epic Dragon tried and tested tool. Or go CF Weapon with the electronics of the future.

You have to decide which you are: a tool, or a weapon:)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Hey Alex, You can still order the Carbon 8K sensor upgrade after NAB, the cost is just higher.

Element Technical has a new side handle coming ( doesn't have a battery in it to power the camera but is really cool ) but it was not ready to show @ NAB.

Yes there will be a cable free EVF. We have a few prototypes at NAB if you are here you can take a look at.
    Hi Jarred,

thank you very much for all the Informative Updates, that helps understanding on what the different Weapon Upgrade Options actually really mean in the long term, and we need to know to plan the future!
    And with these Infos it makes all Sense now and we can plan ahead.

As you mentioned a new EVF, one thing in that regard would also really help to plan ahead, if you possibly could share some insight on that or have that in mind for the Products Roadmap:

Will it support Native Refresh Rate Capabilities of 23.9p / 24p /25p / 48p /50p additionally to the common 29.9/59.9 ?
    It would be a great deal if it could make it in the Product, because Operating Projects other than 29.9/59.9 is due to the Judder introduced currently very difficult - even most other reasonable 3rd Party Products can not support that currently - so it would fill a big hole of demand.
    RAW, well done

http://www.welldone.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Tarquin Cardona View Post
    It seems to me there are only two sensible choices. Stay with Epic Dragon that you have. Good camera that has benefited from the previous round of 'betaville' so approaching being a real mature 'tool'. OR. Invest in the Carbon Woven package. Because you will want the better LUTs and faster pro-res - in part because you will not want to hear why as an Mg owner your ProRes stuff doesn't look as good compared to CF folks. The lighter body and this dual shooting for what will amount to about a 32ish thousand hit is what will competitively bring you into a potentially superior spot to Alexa Mini for less cost - which will be good provided the images (especially the pro res images) look gorgeous. But we have not seen the evidence or samples for this yet have we? Should we? Probably. Otherwise the pro res is pointless as Adobe has put the new Red color controls in Premiere. Sweet!

Arri has shown what the mini can do and it is very pretty. If CFW can match at this price then Red did you a favor. So Mg is no go in my view. Not just whether you want 8K down the road or not but because you will want the better processors etc to get the best pix or you will be frustrated. It won't rent well comparatively as everyone wants the better cam, or they will go Dragon.

The choice is stick with the Epic Dragon tried and tested tool. Or go CF Weapon with the electronics of the future.

You have to decide which you are: a tool, or a weapon:)
    yeah but for the people that don't have the 32 ish straight up, like me, I'm softening my blow over two periods, I go magnesium now, re value my camera and have some added features and a re designed body, then when I am ready and have the cash I go to VV through the CF weapon upgrade route, otherwise I spend the same if not more at a later date and don't get the 5K accessories etc for a system that will still eventually render my modules useless?
    RED Epic Dragon #03820
    http://www.jordanbuck.co.uk

Jordan. I guess what I was trying to be was optimistic. I think that now that a lot of bugs have been worked out in Dragon it is a pretty safe and good camera to work with. With Weapon one is back in R and D town and no one has seen footage of Red Pro Rez which I would need to see to make the step. Red has offered to keep our upgradeability from Dragon to Weapon for when we are comfortable. In fact I have even heard the 5K accessory thing may endure past NAB but there is a lot of talk flying right now. Anyway. To me the magic is at the CF level if one is to really go up from Dragon. The step to Mg would make sense to me only if somebody stated I can evolve that camera up to CF level processing later without spending even more that way.

The bummer is that I think the Dragon to CF is the best deal - though I admit 32K does not sound like a deal. I hear what you are saying but that path makes me leery for some reason versus - wait - use Dragon - save money and make the upgrade later to CF. For me it is critical see how good Red Pro Res is first because that is what the producer is going to look at. If I did this move and the producer looks at the Weapon Mg 2K red pro res and still likes Arri better I would be unhappy and out of pocket a fair bit for the knowledge.

Yeah I definitely see what your saying - and I think its a case by case basis isn't it, not everyone should be or will be taking the same routes, but I guess thats why there is options.
    From what I have read, Jared mentioned that MG is upgradeable, so I am of the belief that you can then go to carbon, and then to VV. I have my place in line, I have another 9 days to pay for it so I'm hoping a few specs and some footage etc. pops up
    RED Epic Dragon #03820
    http://www.jordanbuck.co.uk

I just wish there was an aluminum option. I get the benefits of Mg and CF and I also understand that weapon is meant as another tier of camera, rather than a natural transition for epic users. But i don't really shoot things that much that would require a magnesium or CF body. I'd like there to be an option for the CF internals (or even the Mg) to be put into an aluminum weapon. That would theoretically bring the price down to a much more manageable level due to the ease of using/machining aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Ah Now I get you. Remember the Magnesium Weapon is made of Magnesium and not Aluminum like the Epic/Scarlet, The Magnesium is a more expensive process for us so the spread isn't as big as it was between the Aluminum and Carbon Fiber of the Epic.

To put it in perspective, the current Magnesium PL mount for the Epic is $3500, the Titanium PL mount is $2000.
    So why not produce an aluminum Weapon and pass on the huge savings over the magnesium and CF options?
    Many more people would be able to upgrade to the internal specs that the CF offers, and join a straighter path to, say, 8k?

Mark Pugh LA, and AUS.

www.markpughfilms.com
    Dragon #292

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pugh View Post
    So why not produce an aluminum Weapon and pass on the huge savings over the magnesium and CF options?
    Many more people would be able to upgrade to the internal specs that the CF offers, and join a straighter path to, say, 8k?
    Second this. Aluminum Weapon upgrade for around $10k would be an easier pill to swallow.

Third. If going off of the lens mount differences in cost, seems like there'd be a big savings in an aluminum body.

So no Global Shutter and no built in ND...?
    TEHBEN DEAN
    EPIC-X #557
    www.tehbendean.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...