Thread: UHD/4K monitors at NAB

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 UHD/4K monitors at NAB 
    In 2014 I searched the NAB show floor for professional UHD displays. The few I found were extremely expensive. I have been using consumer displays as a stop gap, all limited to HDMI inputs, most to 1.4a which means 8bit 4:2:0 color AFAIK. Does that sound like a legit color grading format to anyone?

What I am looking for is a UHD (DCI 4,096 4K optional) panel that has SDI ports, 12 bit processing (minimum 10bits at the panel) and proper calibration tools - at a real world price point. Support for HDR ala Dolby would be terrific, but that's probably more 2016/17. The two panel size ranges in play - 17" to 32" for field work and 65"+ for the grading suite.

I will be checking out as many of the usual suspects as possible, and will report my findings on this thread in a week, but I'm bound to miss some, so…

I call on the RedUser community to report back to the forum on any UHD or 4K displays they find at the show. Who makes it, what tech (plasma, OLED, QD, etc), bit depth, connection options, internal LUT support, screen size options, pricing, etc…

Hopefully a week from now we will be discussing all the great new options revealed at NAB, perhaps even a few affordable ones… ;-)

Cheers - #19

I got an email from Canon, that they have a new 4K monitor.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Also interested in this. I'm looking for a Quantum Dot UHD display with real settings for calibration, not just some brightness and contrast, but coordination for gammut and blue only mode.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Vedran Rapo View Post
    I got an email from Canon, that they have a new 4K monitor.
    Any idea On price...? Their 1st attempt was pretty good but 30k... 10k and ok (unlikely) and we may have a deal..

I loved my old HD BVM D and also liked the consumer Kuro screens set up with care... The flanders OLED is a good workhorse but Now I feel that all I want to invest in is a 'flanders like' 4k screen or a top of the range TV (that is not crap). I don't expect to see more than a year out of any current 4k screen tek and that make me a little investment shy

Nope, there is still no info on the price, or i cannot find it. Yeah, first one was out of the question regarding the price.

I looked for, but didn't find, any large-sized 21:9 monitors.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"