Thread: Spots on images - Does anyone know what this is?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    On a side note. Make sure your insurance covers "Conversion insurance". I asked insurance agent about theft by a rental customer and they said it wasn't covered since I willingly handed the camera to them. I added conversion insurance which costs more but covers you. Glad it worked out for you Bjorn but without conversion insurance they actually don't cover theft of rented equipment! It's insane! But glad your lawyer was able to scare them into complying anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    On a side note. Make sure your insurance covers "Conversion insurance". I asked insurance agent about theft by a rental customer and they said it wasn't covered since I willingly handed the camera to them. I added conversion insurance which costs more but covers you. Glad it worked out for you Bjorn but without conversion insurance they actually don't cover theft of rented equipment! It's insane! But glad your lawyer was able to scare them into complying anyway.
    I had a special "rental insurance" the term theft by rental customer was not mentioned in the contract, Also my rental client said he was robbed, he was the only witness to the incident and his best friend was "robbed" on another rental dragon just a few months before and a C300 just weeks after. So theft by rental client was likely the case but nothing that anyone could prove. And as the lawyer explained to me the insurance companies try to be as vague as possible and put as little into these contracts as they can, the reasoning behind it all is that, in worse case they get to do the full refund.... But 9 times out of 10 they are able to talk the numbers down or get away with paying nothing at all as most people fall for their tricks just because the contracts are so open. Before I brought in the lawyer they pretty much had me quite convinced that I should have be very lucky if I had the right to get any coverage at all.

For example in the contract it said fraud was not covered, the insurance company claimed that was what my rental client had done, so no coverage. The lawyer respond was. 1. nobody was charged guilty for fraud. 2. if the rental client would have taken the camera (i.e if he actually was not robbed) then it would be theft... as taking something and not handing it back is not fraud. 3. He explained that their fraud paragrafl was so very vague that in court it would most likely only hold if the insurance company had me, not the rental client, charged for fraud.

The lawyer cost me 5k USD, without him I would have got nothing and the shit thing is that I actually then would have thought that was a correct number.. just saying.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks everyone for the responses, I really appreciate the time you took responding in this thread, it helped me greatly in my claim. It looks like insurance will cover the repair, and potentially an upgrade to Dragon (as long as I pay the difference). It's taken some time, fingers crossed there are no more hoops to jump through.

I'll leave the pictures up in this thread so anyone in the future can identify this as laser damage. Looks weird as all hell, still not sure how it happened. Will be thoroughly checking my sensor after every shoot from now on!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Josef Gatti View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. Turns out it is laser damage, though I'm not sure when or how this happened as I have not shot around lasers.

Has anyone ever had experience in making an insurance claim for laser damage? Specifically in Australia? I'm with Cinesure, and they seemed a little uncertain about this resulting in a successful claim. I'm fully covered for accidental damage, so I'm not sure why they were so sketchy about this.
    It's like an accident and you should be covered - lasers hit the sensor by accident, and really is no different from a brick hitting the sensor by accident But really they (the renters) should be making the insurance claim on their insurance. That's how rental works - the renter pays for damage do to their use/misuse. This is not normal wear and tear like burning out an HMI bulb.

Then again I never rent to complete strangers, only to referrals, and this, I think, is good advice.