Thread: 1yr. Scratch License for $650.00?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 1yr. Scratch License for $650.00? 
    I am not affiliated with either Assimilate or B&H, but I just saw this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_license.html

Apparently it is legit. , at least that is what some folks on other forums are saying ... and apparently it is Scratch and not Scratch Lab. If so, all I can say is , "... Such-A-Deal ..."
    Last edited by Bill Sepaniak; 03-10-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Big software is changing. Over the past decade, actually over the past two, we have seen a push toward much lower prices as user numbers and competitive options increase. As of late, the subscription philosophy has taken over and for some applications it's a steal, for others it's not. Assimilate has had to do this with Scratch now that Fusion is free and Nuke is soon to be free -- technically those free options are for non-commercial use. However, with Fusion the free licensing extends to additional seats for organizations who pay for full copies. It makes complete sense for these companies to do the subscription model. So the software is $10K with all the bells and whistles activated... What is the average lifespan of that software in terms of perpetual use and upkeep? Some will keep it for 1 or 2 years, others for 5+, some may just need it for one project in the foreseeable future -- as in post on their indie film they're currently focusing on. Instead of trying to milk their customers for $10K per seat, they can sell annual licenses for $650 each. They will sell 10X as many seats that way with the much lower buy in price and after the one-year mark, the license expires and can be renewed for those who want to go again.

In the end, it's an all-around better deal for most.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Scratch --> $650.00 + a used Kona 3G --> $500.00 = $1,150.00. Wowzers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Big software is changing. Assimilate has had to do this with Scratch now that Fusion is free and Nuke is soon to be free -- technically those free options are for non-commercial use. However, with Fusion the free licensing extends to additional seats for organizations who pay for full copies.
    That's the first I heard of that
    AFAIK Fusion free is for commercial use...
    RED #1198, EPIC-X #480