Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED WEAPON - Info and Data Sheets

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    You can do it that way, no hurry on the Weapon upgrade. There is just going to be an extra incentive for those who have done the Dragon upgrade before NAB.

Sometime this summer, RED will convert their upgrade production lines from doing MX -> Dragon upgrades to doing Dragon -> Weapon upgrades. Thus making cameras with the MX sensor EOL, as far as the hardware is concerned. However, they will continue to support and sell EPIC and Scarlet Dragon cameras for the foreseeable future. The only deadline looming is for those who have not committed to doing a Dragon upgrade. And we will have a very long window to upgrade from EPIC or Scarlet Dragon to Weapon. Quite probably even waiting until the following year or two when the next sensor comes along.
    Jeff, do you think owning a DRAGON before NAB is all that will be required to upgrade to WEAPON at special price (at a later date) or we will also need to get in line / execute / place order during NAB to weaponize this camera ?
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grossien View Post
    It will be very interesting to see if WEAPON will exist in two flavors just like Epic and Scarlet.

Knife and Gun
    ... bringing a knife to a gun fight?

Gun and Bazooka

Pillow and Brick

Looks like the 2 available flavors will be WEAPON and WEAPON Carbon but... everything is subject to change around here (you can count on it)

:-)
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Jeff, do you think owning a DRAGON before NAB is all that will be required to upgrade to WEAPON at special price (at a later date) or we will also need to get in line / execute / place order during NAB to weaponize this camera ?
    I don't know. But RED has never pressured anyone to do something right away. I'm sure that whatever deal they offer will have some eventual deadline, but I doubt it's going to be a NAB-only special. I think they're using NAB as the deadline to be eligible for this "early adopter" family pricing thing.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

The last time they opened it up to phases and if you didn't sigh up during your "phase" I think you were relegated to the next phase. IIRC. And I seem to remember the last phase was left open a long, long time.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Hopefully it will be like stage 2, pay a bit more & keep Dragon, rather than part exchange, that would make me happy.
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    I dont mind a name discussion but this thread is supossed to be known info and no to very little noise. So please start a new thread about the name. Thank you please:)
    Did and done. Cleaned up the thread a bit.

Here's a thread to discuss "everything":
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ragon-upgrades

If there are questions regarding the Weapon Upgrade that stuff can land here though and we'll do our best to update accordingly.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie N View Post
    The last time they opened it up to phases and if you didn't sigh up during your "phase" I think you were relegated to the next phase. IIRC. And I seem to remember the last phase was left open a long, long time.
    If you didn't sign up during your phase's windows, you just missed out on the timing, but still got the deal. Those phase upgrade programs were open for a very, very long time. I wouldn't sweat over this too much. It's just that they're going to make it worth while for the early adopters and those willing to take the leap of faith by NAB. This is RED just being their usual awesome selves.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    I really think its just a practical reality. I believe they are faster, which is necessary for the new data rates. I don't think it's any more nefarious an issue than that.
    They write faster, but I don't think that speed is necessary for the new systems. And what about the 4,000 dollar cards I already bought? Those are now value-less?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hague View Post
    They write faster, but I don't think that speed is necessary for the new systems. And what about the 4,000 dollar cards I already bought? Those are now value-less?
    My understanding is that you can go with lower compression on the mini-mags. And, given the higher resolutions and a desire to keep compressions to a higher quality, RED has apparently determined they need to switch over for current as well as future demands.

Your cards still work fine on every camera model produced up to now.

Not into speculation, but it would be nice if the WEAPON body broke down smaller than Epic/Scarlet, for taking photos.
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4