Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED WEAPON - Info and Data Sheets

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    ...If there are questions regarding the Weapon Upgrade that stuff can land here though and we'll do our best to update accordingly.
    Phil, sorry for reposting, but there's still quite a few people who don't know what the deal is with the "upgrade to dragon before NAB" situation.

A lot of people believe that if they don't upgrade to dragon before NAB they won't be able to upgrade anymore at all. Maybe you can clarify this in your first post?!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grossien View Post
    Phil, you might want to add, that

If you own a Dragon until the day before NAB you get an extra RED store credit towards acc, etc. when purchasing the Weapon upgrade. The amount of the credit depends on the amount of dragon upgrades done by then. Or - which is somewhat unclear - you can "buy" yourself an earlier upgrade spot in the line.
    (So the update doesn't come cheaper per se when you own dragon before NAB, but you get a credit to spend on other stuff.)
    EDIT: or please do correct me if I mis understood! :)

I wondering if all the accessories will still work on the weapon.
    Dan Rizzuto
    http://www.imdb.me/danrizzuto
    www.DanRizzuto.com
    EPIC-M Dragon #02917

So how much is the weapon upgrade going to cost? (In addition to the several grand for a dragon upgrade?)

My question is: Is there any chance we could see some footage before this is necessary? Or do we have to upgrade to Dragon and then decide if weapon is worth it?

Wooosh. How about some 4:30am post Academy Awards replies. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Grossien View Post
    Phil, sorry for reposting, but there's still quite a few people who don't know what the deal is with the "upgrade to dragon before NAB" situation.

A lot of people believe that if they don't upgrade to dragon before NAB they won't be able to upgrade anymore at all. Maybe you can clarify this in your first post?!
    The Dragon to Weapon Upgrade starts taking deposits around NAB 2015 and the program will be running for a while after that. If it's anything like the previous Dragon Upgrade that might be as long as two years.

What is ending is the Mysterium-X to Dragon Upgrade Path. That happens around late June 2015.

The thing to know here is that Weapon is an Upgrade for Dragon only. Which means you'll either need to own or upgrade a Dragon before or after NAB 2015 and you until June 2015 at the latest to make that Upgrade.

Jarred stated on this info as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Wise Words. All you guys need to do is have a Dragon.

Doesnt matter if it is Epic Dragon or Scarlet Dragon.

If you have a Dragon before NAB, Weapon will cost you less. If you get a Dragon after NAB, Weapon will cost more.
    This is essentially going to be an "early adopter discount" For those who switched over to Dragon. And it sounds like there will be a credit situation of some sort the longer you have owned Dragon, but specifics are vague on that at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rizzuto View Post
    I wondering if all the accessories will still work on the weapon.
    I am as well. We'll know more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by James T Mather View Post
    So how much is the weapon upgrade going to cost? (In addition to the several grand for a dragon upgrade?)

My question is: Is there any chance we could see some footage before this is necessary? Or do we have to upgrade to Dragon and then decide if weapon is worth it?
    I'm guessing there will be a pricing structure announced closer to NAB. There will be a few options offered it sounds like:

- a price for prior to NAB 2015 Dragon owners
    - a price for post NAB 2015 Dragon Upgrades
    - the eventual price of a brand new Weapon purchase option
    - and whatever the early adopter "credit" info will be

Since Weapon will have its full unveiling at NAB 2015 and the Dragon upgrade from Mysterium-X ends around late June 2015 it appears you'll have 2.5 months to make that decision.

I imagine (and hope) we'll be able to learn and see more of Weapon before NAB, but I'm actually surprised Jarred's revealed so much already. So as for the request for footage, the best I can say now is "stay tuned".
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Also, added this to the first post, which sounds rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Yes there will be an Epic Dragon to Carbon Weapon path and this time the Carbon will actually do more.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

so just to be clear, this is absolutely an end to "obsolescence obsolete"

just to be clear.

i'm not a big guy with huge clients, but i've spent tens of thousands of dollars to be a part of the RED ecosystem, and i simply can't afford a dragon update this year.

so i've been abandoned.

not to be dramatic, but this makes me seriously look at other options. which means i'll be taking a hit to some degree, but i'm not particularly interested in supporting a company that wants to hold a gun to my head to upgrade.

i'm quite disappointed in this.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry VerHaar View Post
    There is a sense that this is a body upgrade and not a sensor upgrade. So, assuming this is correct, waiting for a sensor to be ready is not part of the process. I think what Jarred is doing is giving the best head's up - and the opportunity for "the faithful" to potentially save some money - while allowing RED to plan better for the transition forward. My take. No guarantees I know of what I speak. :-)
    Wise Words. There is no hurry to go from Dragon to Weapon, that's not what I am pushing here. It is a heads up for anyone still on MX to get to Dragon if they want to continue down our upgrade path.

Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but that does look like a RED DSMC hard case, but there ain't nothing "Top Secret" about DSMC any more:

https://vimeo.com/120307502

Quote Originally Posted by chris morgan View Post
    so just to be clear, this is absolutely an end to "obsolescence obsolete"

just to be clear.

i'm not a big guy with huge clients, but i've spent tens of thousands of dollars to be a part of the RED ecosystem, and i simply can't afford a dragon update this year.

so i've been abandoned.

not to be dramatic, but this makes me seriously look at other options. which means i'll be taking a hit to some degree, but i'm not particularly interested in supporting a company that wants to hold a gun to my head to upgrade.

i'm quite disappointed in this.
    Upgrade paths ALWAYS have windows and time frames. Always. While you feel abandoned, I continue to feel gratitude for a company that doesn't make me buy a brand new camera every year. New camera required every time a tech leap happens... THAT is being abandoned. You have a window open to you, not a gun pointed at you. The production line can't stay open for you and one other owner indefinitely.

As technology improves at a rapid rate, Red allows me to PROGRESSIVELY improve with it. THAT is why I bought Red.
    Andy Roberts
    Nikon and Leica-R lenses (for sale)

Just to be clear, I'm all in with the upgrade path.