Thread: The dreaded black and white startup screen.

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I have that issue on one of the SI2K touch screens. It may be a defect in the monitor, a dry connection on the edge of the display screen itself. Unplugging the cable and re-plugging it may be enough to disturb the case and the dry connection inside and restore connection. Giving the SI2K monitor body a sharp single finger-hit on the edge makes it behave. I tried fixing it by putting a piece of suitcase foam in the casework between the rear and the screen to make it hold contact. It did work for a while until the foam conformed and lost pressure. I just live with it these days.

Never had this issue with my Scarlet but since the purchase of my Epic Dragon it seems to be happening on every boot. No word from anyone at RED as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim Langston
    Cryin' Out Loud Productions, Inc.
    Fort Wayne, IN

It happens in every RED I have used (WEAPON, EPIC-W, SCARLET-W, EPIC & EPIC DRAGON), and with each firmware update I feel it becomes more recurrent.

Some modern videoconferencing systems seem to suffer a similar conniption. The magic scaler box which feeds separate monitor screens is not ready to serve until after the monitor screens have already won the race and have done their start-up thing. A deselect and reselect of the displays seems to fix it. It might just be that the power feed to the RED LCD needs to have a delay built into it so that by the time the monitor comes on-line it sees a clean signal. Then again my imagination may be running riot.

Never seen this issue with two of my Reds... hmm...
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP

Anyone figured this out yet? Happens 99% of the time on start up for me. Huge problem as the camera is usually in a dive housing with no access to cable. I need to turn the camera ON & OFF approx 7 times for it to work, than it usually shows a line down the centre of image on screen.

Do we know if its the definitely the monitor causing problems? Ive tried several cables. Epic dragon & 5 inch touch

Thanks
    www.driftwoodcinema.com

Believe or not, I solved it for me: it’s a brick problem. Everytime I use one special of my 6 bricks, the monitor does black/white or in last time only black. With the other bricks it’s not happening. I went to bebob (brick distributor in Munich) and we tested it there. We could cause this black/white everytime we wanted and refuse it everytime. It about the contacts in the V mount. You guys who has the problem, take a close look. Maybe your contacts are slitely damaged, what does not effect the camera, but the monitor. Also it seems to be that the charger charges not properly and can effect that screen too. I’m going to change all my bricks and charger.
    Maybe also important for you: I have a RED Epic MX with the 5“ touch.